It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO Empty
PostSubject: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptyFri May 30, 2014 3:32 pm

So the Colorado hiking season is off with a hell of a delay. May 24th and we were in snowshoes with snowboards on our back looking for some back country riding!
here is our track
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216389344331023168113.0004faa0f2bfa13ed4fc6&msa=0

I have to say that yes Eddy and I are crazy and we were the only 2 up for the challenge. we were hoping for a sweet summit ride off of Helen but we were met with a section of snow that may bury us and a rock route that even Jack could not figure out :(so we settled for some open ride into the trees and then down the narrow trail in super soft snow, but you know what, it was our first try and we had fun so it was worth it, oh and the dogs had a blast!
This was also the first trail that i have let them off leash from the parking lot and back, S&J did great, it also helps to have Eddy's pack there to keep them all together.
ok on to the really fun stuff, pictures and video!

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0045
Eddy starting out on the trail

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0053
Mt. Helen, plan was to take the track to the right in the rocks up

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0049
fork in the trail head right

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0057
Eddy said there was a trail somewhere in there...

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0055

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0058
Ridik, trees were opening up

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO 20140524_082216
im making my way up

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0075
well the snow route up was out, on to the rocks we said!

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0070
angle of the slope

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0065
snowshoes off, foot work it was

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0069

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0071

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0068
and we were stuck in the rocks Sad

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO 20140524_091501
and we had to turn around, thats me up in the rocks

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0079
Jack was sad

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0080
Sierra enjoying the break

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO 20140524_100056
time to ride down!

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO 20140524_104051
slow on the soft snow

the start of the ride, let Eddy go first, he almost ran Limbaugh over!

down in the slow section

and that was our first adventure for 2014! stay tuned for more Smile

Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptyFri May 30, 2014 4:46 pm

jbealer wrote:

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO DSCN0080
Sierra enjoying the break

This is probably my favorite pic of Sierra ever. She looks like a wolf!
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptyFri May 30, 2014 8:37 pm

Now I am sure you have gotten this question before but how do you manage with them off leash?
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
kylah2013
Teenager
Teenager
kylah2013

Female Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptyFri May 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Wow am I understanding correct that you still have snow? Beautiful pictures!
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptySat May 31, 2014 9:15 am

I am glad that its hiking season for you again, cause I love seeing all of the pictures! This looks like it was an awesome day. I agree with Sara, that picture of Sierra is awesome!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptySat May 31, 2014 9:23 am

Jenn - thank you for posting these pictures - to me, this would be a once in a lifetime, all time high, wonderful experience! What a great day you must have had sunny 
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptySat May 31, 2014 4:55 pm

Sara, i love that pic to
Elise, it has taken yrs of practice. This is our 5th yr in the mountains with them. I normally keep them leashed till we are above treeline but with the snow conditions and the added pack weight it was safer for me to keep them off to start.
Melissa, yes we still have a ton of snow in the mountains. ..
Erica and Amy, im always happy to share our CO adventures with everyone, glad you like them. My plain is to keep at it as long as my body lets me!

Puppy
Puppy
Polar

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptySat May 31, 2014 7:39 pm

Looks like a nice trip! It's so fun, isn't it? Having the dogs running with you when you're on a snowboard. I'm planning on going snowboarding with Polar next weekend, but I haven't been up there since that late snow storm in May, so I'm worried about the condition. How is the snow up high? Getting pretty thin, or still deep enough to last till next weekend?
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 12:43 pm

This makes me think maybe I could let Bodhi off leash while I ski if his pack is weighted down. Right now when I skijor with him, I use XC skis without metal edges. He's on a lead, and I wouldn't want to cut his tendons if I inadvertently hit him. Above timberline, I'd definitely want my metal edged backcountry skis.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Polar, Eddy said at least the next 2 weeks should be good still depending on where your headed. he did square-top mt this past weekend.

Michael, when we skijor they are attached for the fun of it and i have my X-skies, but we are also on a packed trail. that falling through the snow shit sucks worse for them then it does for us!

Puppy
Puppy
Polar

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 7:31 pm

jbealer wrote:
Polar, Eddy said at least the next 2 weeks should be good still depending on where your headed. he did square-top mt this past weekend.

I haven't decided on a place yet, square Top would be one of my choices, although not my first choice since I've done it once this winter, so I want to try somewhere new. I'm thinking the Jones Pass/Berthound Pass area, or Mount Parnassus. Although the beginning portion of the trail to Mount Parnassus will probably be snow free, so it would suck to carry both the snowboard and snowshoes...
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 7:51 pm

I have hiked parnassus in the summer Smile i guess eddy is looking around the Arapahoe peaks area. he sent a text asking how i was on blacks and double blacks, i have no idea what he is thinking for sat but it should be epic!

Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 9:27 pm

Blacks and double blacks? I think I've seen that on t.v. Isn't that where you ski about thirty feet fall off a ledge and then roll for 5000 feet?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO   Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiking with Dogs- Spruce Creek trail to Mt. Helen CO

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1