It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw Feeding picture thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 2:24 pm

The1930sRust wrote:
How often do you all give whole chicken parts? Weekly, every other day?

I don't feed raw exclusively, we feed a combination of dehydrated or freeze dried raw with raw. With that said, I typically will feed raw chicken parts (I feed mainly chicken quarters and chicken breast) about 3-4 times a week. Sometimes I sub other protein sources and parts but on average I feed raw meals 3-4 times/week. It'd be a lot more than that if I fed prey model raw.

The1930sRust wrote:
What about raw oysters? I have 12 dozen in the basement for a garden party this weekend.....

I have no idea on the oysters. Couldn't find any mention of raw oysters on the raw feeding forum I'm on either. I would think that in small quantities they'd probably be okay but don't quote me on that. My concerns with oysters would be possible mercury if they are wild caught and obviously stomach upset if it doesn't agree with the dogs.

Puppy
Puppy
The1930sRust

Female Join date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Neither Violet our our Beagle Nola like raw oysters. More for us! But, they love the shells! Both carrying one around now. Good source of Calcium I guess...

We've been giving raw chicken about every other evening and they do love that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.darklightimagery.net www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
KaylaNL
Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

Female Join date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 11:52 pm

Starting Blitz and Bullet out on a partial raw diet on Monday! We are gonna do half raw half kibble until our kibble is gone, and also to ease them into it! I'll post pictures of how it goes! When the kibble is gone I may have to try THK... I've never heard of it, but from what I've found online it looks like a good product!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 pm

KaylaNL wrote:
Starting Blitz and Bullet out on a partial raw diet on Monday! We are gonna do half raw half kibble until our kibble is gone, and also to ease them into it! I'll post pictures of how it goes! When the kibble is gone I may have to try THK... I've never heard of it, but from what I've found online it looks like a good product!

THK is great, and it's already balanced, so it's way less work trying to figure out the specific vitamins and minerals that they need on a daily bases. Grandma Lucy's is another great food. Just got a bag and tested it out with Kale and his stools were great still. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
KaylaNL
Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Here's Blitz's first introduction to partial raw! Ground beef, chopped green beans, and Eukanuba kibble. (The pictures are bad quality, I'll do better next time Smile )

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Raw111

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Raw210

If I wouldn't have hand fed it to him I think he would have woofed it down like Bullet did. BUT he ate ALL the kibble too!! I figured he'd eat the meat and then be done with it because when I put wet dog food with gravy over kibble he just licks the kibble, but he ate them all this time! Looks like it'll be a good transition into raw!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 2:33 pm

Aww, I'm glad they liked it. I alternate between mixing my dogs' raw with Grandma Lucy's and The Honest Kitchen. Feeding a dehydrated or freeze dried raw with raw is better and easier on their digestion than kibble and raw. But you do whatever works best for you and your pups. And while you're in this transition period keep an eye on their weight and adjust feeding amounts as necessary until you find the right balance for your dogs.

Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks Valerie! I am looking into THK, I still have half a garbage can full of kibble since I was used to buying it in bulk, so once that is gone I am going to switch to THK I believe Smile
Just got my chest freezer today and am getting 10lbs of chicken & fish to start them out on for the next couple weeks. I'm excited and so are they! Starting off with probably 1/4 a lb a day and then will work out way up to whatever each dog needs!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:52 pm

KaylaNL wrote:
Thanks Valerie! I am looking into THK, I still have half a garbage can full of kibble since I was used to buying it in bulk, so once that is gone I am going to switch to THK I believe Smile
Just got my chest freezer today and am getting 10lbs of chicken & fish to start them out on for the next couple weeks. I'm excited and so are they! Starting off with probably 1/4 a lb a day and then will work out way up to whatever each dog needs!

Fish is great! Just remember that salmon always needs to be cooked first, if you were to feed that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KaylaNL
Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 1:51 am

hypers987 wrote:
Fish is great! Just remember that salmon always needs to be cooked first, if you were to feed that. Very Happy

Thank you! I did not know this. The fish we are getting is tilapia but it is good to know that for future reference!! Smile
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:01 am

hypers987 wrote:
what's the reason for salmon needing to be cooked first?

Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 3:11 am

cmanding wrote:
hypers987 wrote:
what's the reason for salmon needing to be cooked first?

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/must_cook_salmon_for_dogs.htm

Freezing can kill the parasites, but better be safer than sorry IMO.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:06 pm

I tried raw for the first time yesterday and she likes it. I had chicken breasts and was a little nervous about giving her the whole thing because I didn't want chicken juice all over the house, so I cut off a piece of the meat and gave it to her, she of course took it into the livingroom and continued to lick it and nibble at it, it took about 10 minutes for her to eat it, but loved it and came back for more.
So I cut it up into chunks and mixed it with her kibble (about a cup) and then gave it to her, She ate all the chicken and left the rest.
I ended up cooking some chicken and thats what she got for dinner.
Maybe I will lock her into the bathroom or something so she can have the whole chunk next time. That way it not on the carpet and easy to clean. I don't have a crate anymore because I never used it.
I will send pictures next time. I'm trying to start small because I didn't know if she would throw up or not.
She did great, This seems like it would be easier, she eats when I eat.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Brooke, thanks for the heads up on salmon. I never knew that! Learning something new every day. Smile

Christine, will Libby eat outside? I like to feed my dogs their raw food outside, weather permitting, that way I don't have any mess to clean up. lol Otherwise they drag their raw food all over and it's so frustrating and time consuming after a while.

Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 6:42 pm

I have given her treats outside and she will want in right away. I don't know if she thinks a animal is going to come steal it. I will try it though. I guess I could always get a baby gate and put it up so she cant leave the kitchen.
It was just nice to see her sit so nicely waiting for it.
She kept just nibbling it with her front teeth at first to get the a feel of the texture.
Back to top Go down
KaylaNL
Puppy
Puppy
KaylaNL

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 7:22 pm

First day of their partial raw diet! Chicken thighs with bones and skin! They LOVED it. Blitz licked and licked and licked at it and then chomped away! Smile

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 ?attid=0

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Raw10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 12:10 pm

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 7327873638_519ca2fde9

Dinner last night! lol

Chicken legs and quarters with the natural mix ground.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:34 pm

*Bump* for newer members and new raw feeders. Smile

Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 8:20 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 7327873638_519ca2fde9

Dinner last night! lol

Chicken legs and quarters with the natural mix ground.

dinner time around there must be crazy!
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:13 am

Can they eat the bone for the chicken drumsticks? Sorry for the question, I'm new in feeding raw. I still feed kibble in the morning but I'm changing their lunch and dinner to raw food. The only bone I gave them is the ones in chicken necks because I'm not too sure which bones can be eaten and which ones to avoid.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:55 am

Our setup Smile

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 551184_125720824239441_401294229_n- Prepping
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 625511_125720447572812_1028568757_n- The dog's section of the freezer
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 557884_125718397573017_1506977936_n- Ground beef/veal/pork mix, chicken heart/liver & egg
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 527288_125719420906248_1097746725_n- bon appetit
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 599608_125719727572884_231463074_n- mmm
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 551107_125719974239526_467982490_n- Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:56 am

Titus&Lycan wrote:
Can they eat the bone for the chicken drumsticks? Sorry for the question, I'm new in feeding raw. I still feed kibble in the morning but I'm changing their lunch and dinner to raw food. The only bone I gave them is the ones in chicken necks because I'm not too sure which bones can be eaten and which ones to avoid.

Yes, they can. Mine has been eating drumstick bone since she was 4 weeks old.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 2:46 pm

Great pics Kelly!

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 4:22 pm

Cato enjoying a neck:

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Photobucket-3509-1343362479027

Delilah, deciding which meat is worthy of her to eat:
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Photobucket-5852-1343362527345

Throwing the food around the kitchen (thank god for cleaner):
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Photobucket-9077-1343362361106

Cato's Natural Mix and turkey necks:
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Photobucket-1446-1343362321911

This is going to sound morbid, but I love watching them eat. It seems so natural.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks Val Smile
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 8:10 am

Trying a raw dinner;
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Img_0613
Still not completely comfortable with feeding bones other than chicken necks. So I had ground chicken with bones first.
Is that dinner??
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Img_0614
Waiting for release..
Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Img_0710
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw Feeding picture thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next