It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Starting puppy on raw

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FirstAscent
Puppy
Puppy
FirstAscent

Male Join date : 2014-07-28

puppy - Starting puppy on raw Empty
PostSubject: Starting puppy on raw   puppy - Starting puppy on raw EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 10:43 pm

Hey everyone, I'm picking up my new little fur ball this Saturday and I thought I had everything ready and all figured out (as much as anyone could lol) and then yesterday I decided I'm gonna do the raw food diet.

I decided to give Darwins a try for easiness but I didn't place my order early enough (for Alaska) and it won't ship until Monday, arriving on Wednesday.

So now I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do for food saturday-Wednesday. My original plan was to use Merrick's. When I pick up my puppy she will have been on puppy chow and I'm not a fan of that and wanted to get her off of it gradually right away. I already have a small bag of Merrick's which I no longer need so should I just get a small bag of the puppy chow instead and use that for a few more days then start the transition to the raw once it arrives? I figured with it only being 5 extra days it wouldn't make sense to use something else during that period with their sensitive tummies. Or... Maybe there is a better idea I haven't thought of??

Thanks for any advice!

Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Starting puppy on raw   puppy - Starting puppy on raw EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 12:35 am

I'm not familiar with Darwins, is it more of a BARF feed? I understand you're in Alaska, so I'm not sure of the resources available to you, but I would get the small bag of puppy chow and also try and get some raw, that way you can start the transition. Good luck and don't forget we love pics here!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Starting puppy on raw   puppy - Starting puppy on raw EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 6:35 am

I would just ask you breeder to provide you with enough food to last you until the new food arrives on Wednesday. If the breeder won't provide food then I would buy a small bag of what she is currently eating and use it until the new food comes in. Then you can just donate the leftover kibble to a friend, shelter or rescue.

Puppy
Puppy
FirstAscent

Male Join date : 2014-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Starting puppy on raw   puppy - Starting puppy on raw EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks for the info! I decided to just buy a little raw (Nature's Variety) from Petco to start the transition before the food arrives. I also ended up picking my little Aurora up yesterday instead of today so we've been having a great time! I know it's only been a day but so far she seems to be doing good on the raw food during the transition and her poop seems to be good. and the best part is she absolutely loves it, it's like puppy crack to her haha.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Starting puppy on raw   puppy - Starting puppy on raw EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 6:03 pm

Happy to hear all is going well so far and you found a solution that best suits your needs.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Starting puppy on raw   puppy - Starting puppy on raw EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Great to hear. Miya was/is crazy for raw too , never has liked kibble much. Glad everything is going well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting puppy on raw   puppy - Starting puppy on raw Empty

Back to top Go down

Starting puppy on raw

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1