It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My pup is "that dog."

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

My pup is "that dog." Empty
PostSubject: My pup is "that dog."   My pup is "that dog." EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 12:39 am

I took Nikolai to the groomer today and half way through blowing him dry, they discovered that he has lice. 'pale' They tossed him back in the tub, shampooed him again with a flea/tick/lice treatment, then dried him with the blower outside (so as not to contaminate the rest of the shop). They squeezed a tube of some topical gel (red tube?) on him and sent us on our merry way. I stopped off at the store and picked up a bottle of Dr. Harvey's Protection Shampoo and a bottle of their Protection Spray, we also got some "Advantage," but the guy at the store said that if I had a cat, that might make HIM sick due to one of the ingredients... I'm washing all his beds/blankets with the sanitize function (HIGH heat), I've steam cleaned our hard floors, my hubby vacuumed everything... what else can we do to kill these buggers and make sure they never come back!? Also, how long do we need to keep him quarantined and away from other dogs (so THEY don't get lice)? Natural and non-toxic remedies and recommendations welcome.

PS - We also have a cat and box turtle, so "bug bombs" and "fogger" types of insecticidal solutions are out.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: My pup is "that dog."   My pup is "that dog." EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 5:33 am

oh no! i've never dealt with dogs with lice, hope someone has answers for you.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: My pup is "that dog."   My pup is "that dog." EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 12:28 pm

I have never even thought of dogs getting lice... guess we will not be seeing you tomorrow Sad have you called the vet to see if they have any info for you? Toris fav line is a vet call is always free!

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

PostSubject: Re: My pup is "that dog."   My pup is "that dog." EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Oh Jen, I'll be there tomorrow... Nikolai won't be though. :-(

I'll give our vet a call today, see what they suggest. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: My pup is "that dog."   My pup is "that dog." EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 5:25 pm

I don't have any advice about lice however Advantage is safe to use on and around cats so the person that said it might make your cats sick is mistaken. It is Advantix that contains an ingredient toxic to cats, not Advantage. The names are similar and they are both made by Bayer but they are different products. Advantix kills and repels ticks and mosquitos while Advantage does not. Either way, I've used Advantix in a house with cats and never had any problems with the cats getting ill but I made sure the cats did not come into direct contact with our Advantix treated dogs.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: My pup is "that dog."   My pup is "that dog." EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 5:34 pm

I agree with Jenn on the vet call. Razz

I have never dealt with lice Sad I wish I had advice for you, but good luck and let us know how it goes so that we can all learn from your experiences! Unfortunately, lice is one of those things that, like fleas, you don't need to be the cause for you or your animals to get infected. They are something that are easily passed on from one being to another, so it says nothing about you and could just as easily happen to anyone of us! Without the knowledge of another human or animal being contaminated to take precautions, there's not much you can do to prevent the spread Sad

Good luck!

My pup is "that dog." Hailey10
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

PostSubject: Re: My pup is "that dog."   My pup is "that dog." EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 1:48 am

Ok, so the call to the Vet became a visit, because apparently, lice are pretty rare in dogs. We pulled a few buggers off and they looked at 'em under the microscope, confirming what the groomer said: lice, not fleas. They're the (blood) sucking kind. We called the groomer, found that they had treated him with a dose of Frontline, which also works for lice. The plan of action is to keep brushing him out (and getting little carcasses loose), decontaminating areas he sleeps every couple of days (his kennel, his 3 dog beds), and we'll repeat another flea/tick/lice shampoo bath next weekend. In one month, we'll re-dose him with Revolution and the following week, reassess. He should be lice free and we will have a clean, sparkling home. ;-)

ETA- He should be OK to be around other dogs in another couple of days to a week. The lice are very host specific (can't go from dog to cat, or dog to human) and they don't last long (1-2 days, tops) without a host. They're also pretty easy to kill... so, after his bath next weekend, we'll be having Christmas with DH's uncle's three black labs and no one is worried.
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: My pup is "that dog."   My pup is "that dog." EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 pm

this was very informational!! thanks for sharing and im wishing him the best!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: My pup is "that dog."   My pup is "that dog." EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Ginger had doggie head lice too when we first got her. And we didn't notice it until a month later when she started scratching more than usual. If Nikolai came from the rescue yard, it could be where Nikolai caught it. But dog lice, from what I gathered from my vet, is easily managed vs. fleas and ticks. Lice cannot survive for very long off their host, and they don't like humans. Ginger got First Shield (liquid that you apply in one swipe from tail to base of neck) which lasts 30 days and in a few days, it was all gone. It kills 4 species of ticks, all stages of fleas (including larvae), 3 species of mosquitoes, and lice. I was only going to get one treatment, but was advised that I may be interested in buying a 4-pk if we will be taking Ginger out to the woods....so I got the 4-pk...($15/each or $54/4-pk).

PostSubject: Re: My pup is "that dog."   My pup is "that dog." Empty

Back to top Go down

My pup is "that dog."

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Grooming-