It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Very Bad Experience This Morning =(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Very Bad Experience This Morning =( Empty
PostSubject: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 8:41 pm

So this morning right before I was leaving to work Mya and Kody were playing like they normally do (like the video that I put up yesterday) when Mya's bottom jaw got stuck on Kodys collar (under part of it). When I say stuck I MEAN STUCK! She was trying to pull away so chocking him. She freaked and starting biting him, then him trying to bite her while chocking and crying. We couldn't get it off for anything! I had to stick my hand in Myas mouth so that she would bite me and not him while trying to pull his face away with the other. My husband trying to get her loose wasn't working. He went for scissors, but couldn't cut the collar b/c of how tight it was. Somehow, by a miracle of god I swear, they got separated. Mya has a scratch under eye and my hand...well...it's full scratches and bites. Not big bites, but it hurts and in several places.

I went to get them harnesses instead of collars so that this won't repeat, but now that I see them playing again I can't help to think that it can again with a harness. I took Kodys harness off so that they can play, but i'm so paranoid.

Has this every happened to any of you? Any suggestions?

they were just playing and both were shaking after =(
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Yup happens quite a bit with our 2 but it usually ends without injurys. Keep in mind this can happen with harnesses aswell .
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:05 pm

I noticed that it might happen with the harness a little while ago so I took off Kodys since he's smaller. I would take off both of them while they're in play mode, but the thing is that they play in the house and in the yard also. Knock on wood one gets out without his/her IDs tags. I'm normally watching them, but sometimes I have to come in the house for a minute. As everybody knows a minute with a husky is an eternity..lol.

I don't know what to do. This CAN NOT repeat itself Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 10:14 pm

This happened with Koda at daycare on his 2nd day at his first daycare ever. A dog and him were rough housing and the dog got stuck on his collar and I had on the Ruff Wear one where there is no buckle or anything to release.. you just slide it over their head and adjust to where it won't slip off. Koda was freaking because he was being choked, the other dog was freaking because it was in pain- Koda just had a tiny part of his tongue bit off the end and his nose a bit beat up, the other dog had it bad though because it was a bit smaller than Koda. The people had to cut the collar and take them to the vet.

This was only in a daycare setting so my rule from there was no collars in daycare, since they shouldn't have any opportunity to run outside the building anyway. I've never used one but a quick-release collar has been brought up to me before. Other than that, maybe loose chain collars that hang low(I've never used a chain collar but I'd imagine you don't catch on it and you could have it low enough to where it isn't in neck-grabbing way).. but not sure if the primary concern is to make sure the collar with 100% stay on if they got out and wandered for a while.

I don't think there is any collar that is 100% foolproof, but maybe a really, really thin one, chain one.. just spurting ideas with nothing to base it on though.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 10:27 pm

We remove all collars/harnesses everything when dogs come into daycare. It's so dangerous as the dogs really get into playing and this can happen so easily. I would get some regular side release collars like these: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9X3Y

My girls have done this with each other a lot, it happens. I used to take all their collars off when we're home but when my foster dog dug out I stopped that. The Dublin Dog collars I have now for them are made of like a rubber stuff so they will give a bit and we haven't had a problem with them at all. Of course when I do see them wrestling I have to correct them for trying to tug on each others collars which they will do.

On a related note... Seamus actually will "fetch" the dogs by their collars if I ask him to LOL

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:25 pm

No collars around here unless we're walking.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:34 pm

arooroomom wrote:
On a related note... Seamus actually will "fetch" the dogs by their collars if I ask him to LOL

That's awesome! Do you have video of this?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:53 pm

wow, so apparently no collars is the way to go! I had few people on FB tell me that they have a no collar rule at home also. Even though,arooroomom, that collar looks like it might work! For right now, I'll just keep them off at home and have to keep 100% attention on them while outside.

Thanks everybody! My hand sure does hurt now...ughhh. Not easy 2 type! I'll put a pic up tomorrow if i can get one that shows it all. Not fun!!!!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 am

Our house is a no collar house as well. Koda and Hailey get their chain collars on all the time, that's it. Even when outside on the runners. However, with the yard, I'm going to have to figure something else out cause I guarantee the short fencing won't hold them. I'm thinking we'll keep Koda on a runner and let Hailey have the run of the yard since she's a LOT better off-leash and sticks close to home.

Never happened to us, but I've heard of it before.

Very Bad Experience This Morning =( Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 1:59 am

26nikita wrote:
arooroomom wrote:

That's awesome! Do you have video of this?

Unfortunately not. When the camera comes out he either glues himself to the lens, or hides under his bookshelf. Whichever route his weird Border Collie brain decides to take at that particular moment lol I will try though because it's hilarious!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 4:19 am

we've never had an issue like that, both of their collars are pretty loose because they are walked on their harnesses anyway. But i don't think I could take them off while they're in the house because Embry has gotten out way too many times, sneaky boy!

Hope everyone's okay!
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 am

harrise wrote:
No collars around here unless we're walking.

Same Here came Out One day & Mira Loves Biting On Collars ( jerkball ) And she was bitin On The One on Icon's Neck !! It was Tight .. I Wont Put ANy On Her Now ~
Glad Noone was Seriously Hurt ~
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks all! They seem to be ok today. Mya is a bit down..thinking the cut under her eye is bothering her, but they played again last night, but had to take their new harness's off because I can so see that happening with the harness's also. I had my chasing escapades with Mya a few times as well when she was younger, but none recently. I'm more concerned with Kody and when he hits those teenage years! For now, no collars, but I'm going to have to watch them like a hawk when in the yard
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 11:51 am

for sure .. Bet That was Scary ~~
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 pm

No Collars and no harnesses at playtime when possible.
Well you are lucky that they are still friends after that. I know a family where something similar happened and after it they had to seperate the dogs because it didn´t work out anymore.

Anubis likes to drag other dogs around on their collars, but I always stopped him form doing it because it can get dangerous. One time we met a dog that was running around with his leash still on and Anubis grabbed the leash and went for a walk with the other dog :d.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:13 pm

SiberianAnubis wrote:
No Collars and no harnesses at playtime when possible.
Well you are lucky that they are still friends after that. I know a family where something similar happened and after it they had to seperate the dogs because it didn´t work out anymore.

Anubis likes to drag other dogs around on their collars, but I always stopped him form doing it because it can get dangerous. One time we met a dog that was running around with his leash still on and Anubis grabbed the leash and went for a walk with the other dog :d.

You're so right! Mya (the oldest) was NOT A FAN of Kody (the 4 month old) the next day. He couldn't get near her! That was my pian concern to be honest....that they wouldn't be friends after that. Luckily they seem to be back to normal. Playing rough, but they did that before. I think it's because he's still a puppy and if he would have been grown it would have been worse. He holds nothing against her since he's young. He was actually licking her right after like "are you ok?" when he was the one that went through it worse I think. Hopefully they stay friends!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Well, I screwed up and forgot to take Aspens choke collar off after letting her out this morning and poor Willow got her teeth caught in it playing. I've been double collaring Aspen ever since she backed out of her collar two weeks ago. I feel horrible because that could have happened while i was gone! Poor Willows gums are a bit swollen but no broken skin. I was in the basement when I heard them and realized something was wrong. At first I thought they were fighting, which they never do! I assume Aspen was trying o get away from her but when I rushed into the room both of them stopped moving and just stood there and let me get the chain off of Willows teeth. Willow gave me a ton of kisses as soon as I got her loose and then when straight to Aspen to give her kisses. I wish I could have caught that on video. I swear she was telling she knew it wasn't her fault. Dang, I feel guilty. I should have learned from Melissa's experience! I bought pegs while I was on vacation so I installed it by the back door so I can hang up ALL their collars after bringing them in from outside.

If you have multiple dogs in the house, please learn from this stupid mistake! I can't imagine what I would have come home to if this happened while I was gone. By the way, they are back to playing again as I type this.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Oh thank goodness it wasn't worse MIndy. It's so scary!!! I now always take off their collars before leaving the house. Even though they go in their crates. I'm scared their collar might get stuck somehow and they'll choke.

Last edited by MelissaI on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 1:31 pm

I just feel guilty cause I knew this happened to you and I should have been taking precautions. I'm just so glad Willow didn't lose a tooth over this!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:07 pm

That happened to a sibe lady I know. The sibe being choked ended up with fluid in her lungs from being choked for too long!

One of my mom's dogs got his jaw stuck in Siku's collar while they were playing. It scared them both, but thankfully there were no injuries.

Mine never wear collars in the house. They have microchips and we put up a screened pourch out our front door to prevent them running out of the house that way. They wear collars when we are at the dog park, but I know some people take collars off there too just in case.

Very Bad Experience This Morning =( Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Very Bad Experience This Morning =(   Very Bad Experience This Morning =( Empty

Back to top Go down

Very Bad Experience This Morning =(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1