It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Walking problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jnew93
Newborn
Newborn
jnew93

Male Join date : 2014-12-31

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 4:40 pm

Hello I am new to this forum and I have a little problem with my Husky when I try to walk him he gets out of his harness and runs away. I do not know what to do to keep him from not doing that and i enjoy taking him for walks.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 5:18 pm

His harness is too big most likely. Properly fitting him to it is important. There are other styles of harnesses to try also that has the belly band that helps keep them from slipping. Ruffwear has several types with this band. I walk my girl with a leash called a Weiss Walkie. It is just a leash that you loop under their chest and the harder they pull no matter the direction it synches tighter so that they can in no way slip out. What kind of harness do you have currently?

Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

Female Join date : 2014-07-17

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 5:19 pm

I don't know if this will help and it doesn't really solve the problem, but have you considered maybe using a double leash? Use one to clip onto the harness and the other onto his collar and if he gets out of the harness, you still have him by the collar. Maybe consider a different type of harness?
Back to top Go down
jnew93
Newborn
Newborn
jnew93

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 5:26 pm

thanks for your help I just have a basic harness that I use but my issue is he arches his back up and pushes his head forward and then gets out of the harness.
Back to top Go down
jnew93
Newborn
Newborn
jnew93

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 5:34 pm

What size of ruffwear do you have for your dog I am looking at the Front Range harness for mine.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 5:42 pm

Kenzi did the same thing when I had a basic walmart harness also. Never could seem to get the thing tight enough to not have it happen. There's just not enough to those harnesses to keep them if they want out. I would look at a different style or go with the synch leash or double leash setup that Casey talked about. Here's a link to the style of harness I would check out and the leash that I use.

Ruffwear Web Master

Weiss Walkie

Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 5:45 pm

My girl is a medium. They have a size chart that seems to run about right if you just measure your dog and compare.

Teenager
Teenager
caseysteffans

Female Join date : 2014-07-17

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 5:46 pm

Jenn, that leash is really neat! I haven't seen anything like that before!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 5:58 pm

I love my leash! It was the first thing I ever got for her. The rescue used them for all of their dogs since they had so many that their collars didn't fit and they were squirmy. This leash fully took care of any slipping issues. Doesn't matter how big their collars are the leash keeps tension so they can't slip, period.

here's ruffwears size chart.

Walking problems Webmaster_harness

Newborn
Newborn
jnew93

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 6:15 pm

thanks alright I am going to looking to that and figure out what size fits my dog.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyWed Dec 31, 2014 7:47 pm

Are you having problems with pulling or any other misbehaving on walks?

You should know about Ruffwear and other types of harnesses. If your Husky is a puller on walks a harness like this will only promote more, stronger pulling. The Ruffwear ones in particular are excellent for hiking or other free range type of walking but they are completely incapable of issuing corrections or training a dog not to pull.

Just for consideration Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 11:58 am

We use the Freedom harness for help with pulling and to avoid backing out of the harness. There are two places to clip on -- one in the front for extra help with pulling, and a Martingale-style ring on the top, which helps with both pulling and makes it impossible for the dog to back out of the harness, as the more the dog pulls in any direction, the tighter the harness becomes. I got a medium for our girl, who's on the skinnier side, but we also have it set the tightest it can go.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085XOHDU/

For hiking and other activities where we want to encourage or don't care as much about pulling, we are going to use an Alpine Outfitters Urban Trail harness. We're just waiting for it to arrive ... you can have it custom-made to fit your dog or get a ready-made harness.

http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=234
Back to top Go down
jnew93
Newborn
Newborn
jnew93

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 5:27 pm

Juno walks fine when the harness but he gets excited and pulls then and tryes to get out of the harness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Walking problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking problems   Walking problems Empty

Back to top Go down

Walking problems

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1