It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A BIG Scare Last Night!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

A BIG Scare Last Night! Empty
PostSubject: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 9:22 pm

Has anyone had there dog sleep so soundly that they seem dead?

I fell asleep on the couch and when I got up at 2AM, I wanted Ami to move from the sunroom to the back hall.  He was lying on the floor, stretched out - usually when I pass by him sleeping, he at least opens his eyes.  This time, not a twitch.  I called his name, nothing.  I could not even see or hear him breathing.  I called his name again and when he did not respond, I gently picked up his paw - totally limp.  I raised it and let it drop - completely limp without any tension.  I finally, in a panic, shook his shoulder and called his name.  He woke up but very very groggy.

After that, he stood up, walked to his night time spot, had a drink and then followed me into the bedroom.

I know people can sleep this deeply but not sure about dogs.  Normal?

Last edited by amymeme on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Yes! There have been times when I've had to shake Bode awake. I then feel bad for waking him up but I've had a couple freak out moments.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 9:27 pm

Oh thank you for that reply. It really freaked me out - I even insisted he sleep in the bedroom (not on the bed - Ami doesn't do that proximity Laughing ) Though he did jump up. How did I get him down? I got in bed, he glared at me and jumped down. Yes, I used deodarant yesterday lol!
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Oh gosh, it gets worse as they get older trust me. I have had 3 senior dogs in my life and 2 of them I would literally have to nudge multiple times to check as the first few times they just kept snoozing.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 10:04 pm

Since Avalanche sleeps right beside my bed, he gets my feet on him before he or I are really awake ... but I'll tell you what, he gets up quick!

Sasha has pulled the "dead dog" routine on me a few times. Eventually, if I look close I can see her breathing but very shallow. Call her name? "Ah, forget you dad, I'm sleeping!" Yep, it gets scarey at times ....

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyWed Mar 11, 2015 11:58 pm

Wow Amy, I bet you felt your heart drop Sad
I've had four huskies in my life and I don't recall it ever happening with any of them. My Malamute however, like tech girl mentioned, did that at times in his senior years (I assume because his hearing was deteriorating) and when I'd finally awaken him, he'd be really startled so What I had to start doing was to gently rub my finger on his paw and talk to him so he wouldn't be scared out of his deep sleep. It worked too!! He would do that little paw stretch thing then open his eyes. Anyways Amy, sounds like Archer really tired Ami out, LOL
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 12:50 am

Jimmy - that is part of what scared me. Ami had not played with Archer since Sunday. Tuesday was a wash for us due to husband being called to Boston unexpectedly, Ami got very little exercise. I'm still a bit concerned...wondering if dogs have sleep apnea or something similar. But, it is good to hear that others sleep that deeply also.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 1:33 pm

YES!
Sierra did this to me a few months ago freaked me the hell out and i thought she was dead, i mean at 12 now its a common scare in my head Sad

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 1:40 pm

Jenn, it's good to hear I'm not alone - even though Ami is just over 2, I'm still very much aware of the short lifespan of dogs. I think if Ami were 12, I'd almost be afraid to get out of bed in the morning! I don't think I was this bad even with my kids, possibly because it's highly likely Ami will be my last dog, though I certainly hope not.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 8:51 pm

amymeme wrote:
Jimmy - that is part of what scared me.  Ami had not played with Archer since Sunday.  Tuesday was a wash for us due to husband being called to Boston unexpectedly, Ami got very little exercise.  I'm still a bit concerned...wondering if dogs have sleep apnea or something similar.  But, it is good to hear that others sleep that deeply also.

Maybe that's it Amy...without Archer around, Ami could allow himself to fully relax and sleep, deeply. Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyThu Mar 12, 2015 10:11 pm

Artic_Wind wrote:

amymeme wrote:
Jimmy - that is part of what scared me.  Ami had not played with Archer since Sunday.  Tuesday was a wash for us due to husband being called to Boston unexpectedly, Ami got very little exercise.  I'm still a bit concerned...wondering if dogs have sleep apnea or something similar.  But, it is good to hear that others sleep that deeply also.

Maybe that's it Amy...without Archer around, Ami could allow himself to fully relax and sleep, deeply. Smile

Quite possible...I picked up Archer yesterday and it's been non-stop busy for those two. And with the snow melting and now frozen again, they can run on top of it instead of sinking and perplexing. I expect they'll sleep well tonight lol!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 4:04 am

LOL Amy, hopefully not TOO well Wink

You mentioned how Ami didnt have his normal amount of exercise and I'm wondering if its possibly the lack of exercise that causes it...and maybe contributes to why it happens more in older dogs?? (see, I really do over-analyze things, haha)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A BIG Scare Last Night!   A BIG Scare Last Night! Empty

Back to top Go down

A BIG Scare Last Night!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1