|Husky of the Month|
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Thanks to all for this month's entries!
|1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.|
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Our current rescue spotlight is:|
Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!
Help please, new husky owner!
Join date : 2015-05-25
|Subject: Help please, new husky owner! Mon May 25, 2015 10:14 am|| |
Hello, I recently rescued a male husky who seems to be around a year old. I've done quite a bit of research and realize huskies are a big commitment and responsibility, and things have been going a lot better so far than I initially expected, but there are two things I need to address as soon as possible, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
1) He's very playful and energetic which is not a problem, BUT he keeps jumping on my 10 year old who is about 3/4 his size. Are there any tips for keeping him down?
2) He tries to hump anything and everything and will go for hours lol, and it's making it difficult to bring him into our pack. My other 2 dogs seem to be okay with him until he tries to mount them.
I understand this is normal behavior for bringing a new dog into our home, But any tips for making this easier would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Join date : 2013-06-14
Location : Missouri
|Subject: Re: Help please, new husky owner! Mon May 25, 2015 5:23 pm|| |
He sounds really excited and energetic. A long hard walk to burn off some of that excess energy will make him easier to work with. When around the kid I would start out keeping him on a leash so when he tries to jump you can reprimand him. If he tries to jump on the kid correct him then have the kid ignore him for a bit. He only gets to be around the kid if he behaves.
The humping is most likely excitement as well. He just doesn't know how to express himself. Your other dogs will set boundaries for him. The leash will allow you to correct him when he does this too. As you get ahead of his energy with exercise and he learns the rules you set for his new home he will settle down.
Help please, new husky owner!
|» The Desert Pack|
by TwisterII Today at 10:50 am
» Heat only once a year?
by stray Yesterday at 9:11 pm
» No winter furs still.
by stray Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:16 am
» Help! Laylah is so itchy!!!
by Calgary leah Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:48 am
» Its wild to me how well humans and canines cohabitate.
by Lostmaniac Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:11 am
» Lower lip rash.
by stray Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:51 pm
» Why is my Husky so big? Is he part malamute?
by Husky Guide Expert Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:36 pm
» It's Shootin' Season and the Big Boy Ain't goin' Out...
by TwisterII Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:02 am
» Recall Information
by Lostmaniac Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:19 am
» Bombproof does not mean tank proof
by Lostmaniac Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:25 am
» Possible reason(s)
by Windfishin Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:28 am
» Our husky just passed away and she was just 7 years and 6 months old
by amymeme Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:33 pm
» Lost my Nanük
by RAHUSKY Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:18 pm
» In memory of Loki
by RAHUSKY Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:36 pm
» Is She A Husky?
by Lostmaniac Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:33 am
» Feeding Routines
by TwisterII Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:50 am
» 52 weeks of Zeus the GSD
by Lostmaniac Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:39 pm
» My Beloved Murder Floof
by Lostmaniac Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:47 pm
» [Scrapbook] Mylo's 9th birthday! HEY ALL, IT'S BEEN YEARS OMG
by TwisterII Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:40 am
» Hello from svmsmith08 and Laylah!
by Svmsmith08 Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:53 am