It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?
Yes, I met at least one husky.
Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Vote_lcap14%Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Vote_rcap
 14% [ 4 ]
Yes, I met two or more huskies.
Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Vote_lcap36%Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Vote_rcap
 36% [ 10 ]
No, but I saw them in real life just did not get to interact with them.
Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Vote_lcap21%Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Vote_rcap
 21% [ 6 ]
No, but I saw them in pictures, movies, videos, etc.
Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Vote_lcap25%Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Vote_rcap
 25% [ 7 ]
No, my husky was the first I ever met or saw.
Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Vote_lcap4%Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 28

AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Empty
PostSubject: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 pm

This is something that I posted just out of curiosity stemming from another thread. Please vote and feel free to add comments like how many you met and in what setting (like at a dog park, or on a walk, at a breeders kennel, a rescue organization, etc.)

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 1:19 pm

This was hard to answer, but I think I saw them in movies, etc and loved their appearance. I wanted a dog, not just a husky. It was John who said "Husky or no dog at all." He had one growing up. So if I were to answer for him, I'd say he interacted with at least one. I on the other hand loved them from afar, had met some (but really didn't get to interact with them), and researched my tail off to make sure they were something I could handle. John had already made up his mind based on his interactions and love of his own husky as a kid.

Hope that made sense. As a couple, I'd definitely say that we "met and interacted" with at least one husky before deciding they were for us. Smile

Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 1:25 pm

Mickey is our first Husky, and my "first" dog (of my own responsibility.) I had met them before and had seen them in movies... But I really didn't get "into them" until after we had adopted Mickey and began researching both his personal past as well as his attributes. Of course I always thought Huskies were beautiful animals (who doesn't?!) but I never had my heart set on one. That day we went to the shelter we were actually after a GSD... I was never really put off by the destruction or the exercise needs... We set out to adopt a dog who we would do things and be active with. And I think we definitely hit gold with Mickey... as well as the tards who followed lol Very Happy

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 1:41 pm

My parents were both husky lovers and I grew up with them (four different huskies between my birth and high school), so I always knew I wanted a dog and I loved their quirks, their goofiness, their looks - it just made sense. So while Nikolai is my first dog (all my own... ok, maybe a *little* bit Chris' too), we adopted him sight unseen (never met him before his gotcha! day) and couldn't be happier.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 2:05 pm

that was a good question, i had to stop and think and i don't think i had ever interacted with them before getting sierra, i know my fathers mother raised huskies and my father helped care for them so i guess they were kind off all ready in my family blood. ken had a GSD/husky mix as a kid. we wanted an active dog for our life style and ken and i together felt the husky was the right breed. we said yes to sierra before even meeting her! then with the help of sierra we got jack Smile i think i will always be a husky girl but i will also consider a Mal the next time around.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys! And just to clarify, the poll question is not asking about the husky you have, but if you've met one BEFORE getting yours or deciding on the breed.

As for me, the first husky I ever met sealed the deal for me. From the first husky I met I knew they were the breed for me and that one day I'd have my own. I met many other huskies over the years after that first one and before I got my own sibe and each new husky a met deepened my desire to have this breed. Kinda crazy how one chance meeting with a husky as a child would change my life forever. Smile

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Ridik was the first Husky I ever interacted with, but I was familiar with them since Malamutes have been our thing. He wasn't ours at first. The previous owners were bringing him here for dog sitting because he was quite destructive. After putting him through the same three month training that the other dogs were doing, he grew on us with his lightning fast learning and endurance. Gradually the relationship with the owners drifted and we started seeing less of him, then sometimes having him for two or three days in a row. When they didn't bring him for over a week I started worrying. Then they called acting normal and dropped him off one day saying that they might move in a few months. They never came back.

Even though we prefer Mals, there always needs to be a Husky around.

*EDIT* I just remembered something after thinking about this topic all morning. I was raised by my grandparents. Around the time I was 11 years old (I think), my grandpa went through a Jack London phase leaving the books all over after he was done. Since we didn't have cable or internet back then I started reading because that's what you do without tv or internet. I cranked through them, those are good books. Once he was done he started buying a bunch of northern breed non-fiction stuff. In his over analytical aerospace engineer type of way, he settled on Malamutes. A few short months later Lobo entered the picture and a lifelong pattern was born.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Siku was the first husky I had ever met in person. That was a weird thought for me that we were getting a husky and I'd never met one before. I have seen so many other breeds, but never a husky. It was my bf who wanted a husky or no dog. But I did lots of research first! My mom tried her hardest to talk us out of it. lol. And I think she still think huskies are a crazy breed to have, but my dad really likes them now.

Also I did a home visit for the sibe rescue group here and the people adopting had never met a husky until I brought Siku with me. It was so funny seeing the husband following her every move making sure she didn't get into anything. lol. I think it was a bit of a shock for him since they only ever had pugs before. The wife loved her though. And they did get their husky. Hopefully they are doing good now!

Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:00 pm

SaraB wrote:
Siku was the first husky I had ever met in person. That was a weird thought for me that we were getting a husky and I'd never met one before. I have seen so many other breeds, but never a husky. It was my bf who wanted a husky or no dog. But I did lots of research first!
Hmm. sounds very familiar! Very Happy Glad to see I'm not alone Smile

Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Last night while we were out on our walk (in the gentle snow), I was stopped by a guy and his dog - he said he'd seen us out walking a lot and wanted to say Nikolai is a "great ambassador for the breed." We live across the street from a school whose mascot is the huskies and kids are always staring at him and wanting to pet him when we're out when school is released. In my little way, I hope some kid likes my dog enough to think "yeah, huskies are great - let's adopt one!" :-) Creating husky lovers at a young age... that's how I'm corrupting the youth of tomorrow. Hahahaha...
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Having a dog was never on my mind until I got married. JD declared he was going to get a dog after her finished his master's degree. My reply started out as, 'That's what YOU think!' Then it changed to ,'Whatever.' Then I saw the movie, 'Eight Below' and I said to JD, 'I want ALL 8 of them!' Then my reply became, 'It's gonna be an OUTSIDE dog!' Then I asked, 'What kind of dog do you want?' Then I saw the movie, 'Hatchi'. I then started researching Akitas, Siberian Huskies, and Alaskan Huskies. Then I declared, 'We are ADOPTING a dog! Period. No if's, and's, or but's.' Once JD was within a month of graduating, we called the Akita and Husky rescue. We first spent some time with an Akita and then an Akita/Husky mix. No go on allergies. We then ended up at the Husky rescue, and no reaction after meeting 3. Ginger was the first one brought to us. We took a couple of days to think about it, and promptly went back to pick up Ginger.

The End.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:00 pm

cmanding wrote:
Having a dog was never on my mind until I got married. JD declared he was going to get a dog after her finished his master's degree. My reply started out as, 'That's what YOU think!'

Wow, you've come full circle! And you've put in an application for another one even! Very Happy

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:19 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
cmanding wrote:
Having a dog was never on my mind until I got married. JD declared he was going to get a dog after her finished his master's degree. My reply started out as, 'That's what YOU think!'

Wow, you've come full circle! And you've put in an application for another one even! Very Happy

I KNOW! I can't believe I want another one! Very Happy

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Koda wrote:
SaraB wrote:
Siku was the first husky I had ever met in person. That was a weird thought for me that we were getting a husky and I'd never met one before. I have seen so many other breeds, but never a husky. It was my bf who wanted a husky or no dog. But I did lots of research first!
Hmm. sounds very familiar! Very Happy Glad to see I'm not alone Smile

Same here! I've had dogs at my parents all my life (mostly German Shepard's). When I moved in with the hub by (bf back then) I wanted a dog right away and he said he'd always wanted a husky. A month later we got 8week old Mya =) Now, i'm the totally obsessed one!!!!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jahoda Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Jahoda Husky

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 8:11 pm

Hello, I guess I'm the lone voter who came to own a husky "accidentally." My former co-worker asked me one weekend to take care of a dog she had gotten from a breeder who was getting rid of her because of chronic diarrhea. She knew I was a huge animal person, and then told me she couldn't keep her because she works all day.
The rest is history. To know a husky, is to love one. I started researching everything about huskies and it took me a couple days to realize I should stop offering her to people and keep her. She is the best dog ever. She was 2 when I got her, and we started basic obedience, and she is now a therapy dog. I rented 8 below to watch with her I love you
Back to top Go down
friesianet
Puppy
Puppy
friesianet

Female Join date : 2011-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 4:13 pm

My husband had a childhood dog he remembered fondly--white, husky-like, with blue eyes. Whenever we talked about getting a dog, he would tell me about this one and how much fun he was etc. Of course, in Husky fashion the ending to the story is that the dog ran away, but they let him roam anyway. Back then, all the neighborhood dogs roamed, so I guess it wasn't unusual. Anyway, one day he just didn't come back and I think it broke Joe's heart a little. So, when we decided to get a dog, even though I wanted a black lab (SO trainable, and the trainer in me wanted something cool I could go above and beyond with) we kept an eye out for ads for huskies that needed a new home. That's how we got our first dog together--Bandit. I did a ton of training with him (yes, even off-leash!, though that was HARD) and when we ended up starting a horse boarding/training business on the side, we didn't have time for the dogs anymore and rehomed them. Bandit, who I had put a ton of training into, we flew to Oklahoma City to become a search and rescue dog. Buddy, the malamute (we think) we worked for months with Siberian Husky rescue until they found a suitable family for him in NJ.

10 years have gone by, we've sold the big horse training business and downsized to our small farm in MD and started talking about getting a dog again. Joe still wanted that white husky or husky cross and we started looking at Petfinder, local shelter websites, craigslist etc to get our next adoption. Nutmeg's color was just so unique and there was just something about her--I had to have THAT dog. So, the day I found her online was actually the day they had put her picture up and opened her up for adoption. I called, she was still there and we left work early and went and got her. Guess it was meant to be.
Back to top Go down
LombardoCC1
Newborn
Newborn
LombardoCC1

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 5:07 pm

I only got introduced to the wonderful joy of Siberian Huskies through my wife. Once i got my first look at them i was in love.'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?   Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you? Empty

Back to top Go down

Poll: Did you meet a husky in person before you got your first or deciding it was the breed for you?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1