It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

First Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DjSamphard
Newborn
Newborn
DjSamphard

Male Join date : 2015-10-06

puppy - First Puppy Empty
PostSubject: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 7:37 pm

Hi everyone. I got my first puppy last night and it was a interesting day. Drive home was great. He is 6 weeks old and weighs 9.5 lbs. Breeder told me vet said he is fine to go to a home so I received him 2 weeks early. I have his crate set up right next to my bed with a few toys.

I have having lots of trouble with him sleeping. I usually take him out every 2-3 hours or so outside. I was up all night. He peed in my room about 4 times. Every time i put him in the crate and lock the crate, he starts screaming and whining.

Last night I decided to sleep on the floor next to him but HE kept wanting to come out and walk around while i was in a half zombie state during the night.

Any tips or pointers guys? I am extremely worried about Monday and Tuesday as there will be no one in the house from 8:15am to 3pm.

Its so hard to ignore him when hes winning and howling. Its SO LOUD. affraid
Back to top Go down
CoraTheHusky
Teenager
Teenager
CoraTheHusky

Female Join date : 2015-08-01

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 9:02 pm

Well to be honest your breeder lied to you no puppy is ready to leave two weeks early, in weeks 6-8 they learn important socialization skills (it's not the end of the world though). Considering this puppy is 6 weeks old he won't be able to hold his bladder for very long at all maybe 2 hours tops. He is going to cry and howl and bark and make you want to cry yourself (trust me I did) but over time he will get over it. And if no one is home for 7 hours he is going to pee and poo in the crate puppies that young can not hold it that long, I would try to get some one to come in and let him go outside to the bathroom.

The search bar is going to be your friend there are a lot of threads on dealing with younger puppies ect! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 1:44 pm

Your breeder lied to your face. Puppies need to be with their moms until 8 weeks for various reasons, including health and socialization. You're in for a lot of work.

At 6 weeks, he needs to be taken out every 1-2 hours, on the clock, around the clock. He is too small to sleep through the night or be alone for several hours. Our pups at 8 weeks are taken out hourly until they get an idea, then MAYBE we can stretch it to 2 or 3.

There is no way you can leave a 6 week old puppy for 6-7 hours and NOT have accidents. It's going to happen. Either take time off or hire someone to stay with the pup; otherwise, you will come home to poop or pee every day. You can't get mad at the pup--he's just too small to hold it for more than an hour or so.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Just to add to the great advice from above......in most areas in the states it is illegal and quite unethical to have a pup go to a new home pre 8 weeks. Many quality breeders will hold pups between 8-12 weeks. I got my new pup at 10 weeks and there is a huge difference from my first girl, I got her at 5.5 weeks old. Besides the potty issues, you more than likely will encounter excessive mouthing issues, and separation anxiety, as well as difficulty in training. From a person who has been there, it is doable, but a lot of hard work and dedication, and very little alone time for the pup.

ETA: Potty training....expect them to hold it 1 hour per month of age. At this age, they will have to go when they wake up, after they eat, after they play, well pretty much all the time. Even when I brought home my new girl at 10 weeks, she still went several times in an hour, because of not knowing our routine.At 12 weeks she has mastered holding over night for about 6 hours max, so you can not expect a 6 week old to have anywhere near the ability to hold it for very long.
Back to top Go down
DjSamphard
Newborn
Newborn
DjSamphard

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi guys thanks for the great advice. Last night wasn't so bad. He only had to pee once. Right when i got up to put on his leash he peed on the carpet. He wont sleep in the crate so i just sleep with him on the floor until hes more comfortable.

I left him in the crate in the morning before going to work. I had someone come in ever 1.5hr -2 hours to check up on him. He was screaming and whining like crazy when I left. My biggest concern for today was, when I took him to potty he would not eat anything. He ate a couple of treats when I left him in the crate. He drank water but no food. My dad tried giving him food but he did not eat, just drank some water.

Also another concern of mine is that when I take him outside to my front yard to potty , he likes to run around  and pull on roots,grass, and leafs. He some times ends up chewing on them perhaps maybe even swallow if I don't see it. Is this ok?

I also notice that he is very bity but I try to redirect that behavior with a rope toy.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 5:31 pm

I highly recommend crate training, many threads here on the subject. Because he likes to scarf up stuff from outside, if he is not crate trained, more than likely when left alone will eat things like carpet, wires, door trim, etc. They can be very destructive.

Has he been eating kibble and has just decided he doesn't want to eat? If he has just started on kibble since bringing him home, he may not be used to kibble, or again the "breeder" lied and had not been properly weened. I would add a small amount of warm water to his kibble, to soften it, so it is easier for him to eat.

Chewing and eating twigs, leaves, etc is pretty normal for pups, now is the time to teach him drop it and leave it. Eating small amounts is ok, eating a lot is not. We can't always catch them and stop them from it, you just want to try harder to prevent it.

The tug toy redirection may work for now. Do not leave it alone with him, ingestion of non food items can result in a blockage, at his age a blockage could kill him, since surgery may not be a safe procedure on a pup so young. The redirection, like I said may work for now, but, as he gets older and those baby teeth being pushed out by adult teeth, will take the mouthing to a whole other level.
Back to top Go down
DjSamphard
Newborn
Newborn
DjSamphard

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 6:39 pm

I am giving him the same food the breeder was giving. Its Pc extra meaty puppy food. I will try adding water. I try to put him in the the crate when I go to sleep around 10-11pm. But as soon as I close the crate he whines and howls really loud. You can hear it in the whole house .
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 2:30 pm

Though I will concur that getting a puppy before 8 weeks is not good, the deed is done now, so don't worry yourself about it. I got my Koda at 5 weeks and was told it was going to be horrible and that she would be a terrible dog. (Not here, everyone here is so nice!) Fast forward to today and I get compliments on how well behaved and well mannered she is all the time. So even though I do agree with the 8 weeks rule, don't stress, you got this! Wink

I won't be much help with the sleeping, Koda LOVES sleeping, she always has. He will get better. The main thing would be to not let him out while he's whining. It teaches him that whining will get him out. If he's put in the crate, He has to stay in until he is no longer whining. It's all about positive and negative reinforcement and punishment. If you let him out while he's whining, you are giving negative reinforcement. You are taking way the undesirable stimulant (the crate) because he's whining. So yeah, Psychology... I know it might be tough to just let him cry it out, but it will end soon I promise.

With the puttying time, eventually you will learn him. Every dog is different. Koda didn't have to go to the bathroom every hour. At 5 weeks it was more like 3 or 4 hours. Start taking him out every hour until you see a pattern in how often he goes.

It seems daunting, I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, but it'll all work out!
Good luck my friend!
Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyTue Nov 10, 2015 3:16 pm

For Crate training. I would show him the crate is a good thing. Treats when he goes in it. Try to leave it in an area where he can go in an out while he pleases as well. Also try to put him in it for short periods of time as well, 5 to 10 minutes and work up to an hour+.
Back to top Go down
DjSamphard
Newborn
Newborn
DjSamphard

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 4:08 pm

I am taking Raiden out every 2-3 hours. The crate is right next to my bed and I throw in a couple of treats in there to see if he will stay. He was sleeping next to my computer chair and i grabbed him and put him in the crate with the door open. But he ran away and went back near my computer chair and went to sleep.

Another thing is he is biting a lot. I was wearing shorts in the morning and he got me nicely on my leg. When I went outside to take him to potty I noticed I was bleeding Shocked
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 4:17 pm

Dj.....his biting is because he never learned from his siblings not too. My current puppy I brought home at 10 weeks is way different than my first girl at 5.5 weeks. All puppies bite to a degree, especially when teething, the difference is my second girl knows not to bite as hard. Now onto the issue. I would first try the yelping idea, in that when he bites yelp like a puppy or say ouch then say no bite. We do have a sticky here on the forum, titled puppy biting, in fact I highly recommend going to the training section of the forum and look at the stickies, there's one on biting, crate training, and potty training. Some of the stickies are pages and pages, but you will get some insight, and some different techniques in how to handle these three issues, that seem to be the biggest issues for new husky pup owners.
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Renee gave you some wonderful information, but this blog is great so it's worth a look.

http://shibashake.com/dog/how-i-trained-my-husky-puppy

Personally, this was the method I used. If you scroll down, there is a part on biting. Needless to say, when I wrestle with Koda, I say "stop, I'm done" and she quits. Worth a read.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Too funny Tyler, for me it's Miya Enough, I'm done.....
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Renee, she hates when I tell her to stop too. She looks at me all sad. It's hilarious.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 6:15 pm

Haha, same here. On that note....Dj, something that rang true to me when I read the blog Tyler posted, and he may agree with me. There is different stages of puppy biting, I think because of ours being too young, these stages are much more pronounced. The stand up and ignore, the yelping and no bite and the time outs, worked in each phase and as she grew. Once she hit an older age, roughly 5 months, none of those techniques worked for me. Even the trade off or redirection didn't work. What I did find was tugs worked. She could gnaw on the tug while engaging her in play. I also incorporated training in tugs play, since challenging their minds tire as much as physical activity. So whenever Miya dropped her tugs I would ask her to sit, or laydown, or whatever command, this stopped her excitement and her need to bite on me, and made her think about what I was asking. As her reward for doing what I asked, we resumed the tugs game. Hope that helps more. It can be challenging, but it is doable, through consistency, patience, and repetition.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Puppy   puppy - First Puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

First Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1