It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fur - Dirty to touch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kobe1220
Newborn
Newborn

Fur - Dirty to touch Empty
PostSubject: Fur - Dirty to touch   Fur - Dirty to touch EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 12:00 am

Hello,

What can I do to clean my dogs fur without a bath? I comb him daily or every other day. I'm able to get rid of dog odor but when I pet him I can see dirt on my hands. Like when reading a newspaper your hand turns black but it's not that bad. Just an example.

Any ideas?

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Fur - Dirty to touch   Fur - Dirty to touch EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 12:13 am

I use corn starch based baby powder as a dry shampoo...NOT talcom powder or talc which can cause lung problems. You can also b use just plain corn starch but I like the smell of the baby powder.

There are v also various dry powder and foam waterless shampoos but I've found their "scents" really quite stinky tongue

For the corn starch, just rub it through his fur, let it stay in for a few minutes then brush it out (or leaves out if, like Ami, he doesn't like brushing.)
Back to top Go down
Kobe1220
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Fur - Dirty to touch   Fur - Dirty to touch EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 1:10 am

I use baking soda for when he's smelly. Would that be similar to baby powder? Baking soda doesn't remove dirt from what I've experienced. Only smell.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Fur - Dirty to touch   Fur - Dirty to touch EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 2:35 am

The corn starch is quite absorbent, the baking soda not so much.  That's  why ideally you would brush out the corn starch after a few minutes.  It should take v the dirty with it... Sort of like oil dry for motor oil spilled on the garage floor.
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Fur - Dirty to touch   Fur - Dirty to touch EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 8:11 am

Get a dog dryer! If you don't bathe your dog often and just need something portable to get out dirt, try this little guy for under $100. I had it when we first got Anya--it blows out dirt and loose hair and keeps her looking cleaner than just brushing. She looks remarkably white all the time.

This one isn't strong enough to dry a husky completely though (or it would take hours!). If you go swimming with your pup or bathe them a lot, consider investing in a more powerful version. I'm amazed how much we use our upgraded dryer, but ti's a lifesaver in keeping her clean and keeping her dry during the rainy season.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Fur - Dirty to touch   Fur - Dirty to touch EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 3:28 am

Kobe, try baby wipes, they make them for dogs, or you can use people type baby wipes. They are just damp, and will get the deep down dirt off. I use them quite often on my girls, although, they do seem to get rid of most of their dirt naturally. Anyway, they work good, and I find it easier than to give a bath, if I had to bathe my two, it would be almost daily, they get dirty, lol. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

Female Join date : 2015-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Fur - Dirty to touch   Fur - Dirty to touch EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 5:30 pm

I use the same method as Renee. I always get a case of baby wipes at the warehouse stores. Whenever it rains and Red gets mud on her paws or when we come back from the dog park, I use these to wipe her down and they get out a lot of dirt. Plus, they work great if she's been having soft stools and accidently gets some on her butt fur. I do this in addition to the brushing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fur - Dirty to touch   Fur - Dirty to touch Empty

Back to top Go down

Fur - Dirty to touch

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1