It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Playful Emma & my pregnant wife

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mjosefbishop
Newborn
Newborn

Playful Emma & my pregnant wife  Empty
PostSubject: Playful Emma & my pregnant wife    Playful Emma & my pregnant wife  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 11:21 am

I know somebody out there has had the same problem I am having which is why I'm reaching out to the best people I could think of and posting here. I'm really wanting some guidance and support in the next few months with training my 1 and a half year old to just listen, respect boundaries, and not act out of jealousy to anything. Her name is Emma Rose and she is the best thing that has came into our lives, we've had her exactly a year in a about a week now and she's gotten to know us very well and pushes her limits whenever she sees the chance. She listens to my stearn voice and will acknowledge me when I get onto her, yet my wife, she just looks at like she's not even there. Maybe this is becuase she thinks I'm the leader and she only needs to listen to me, as the pack leader? Yet if I play wrestle with my wife, Emma gets very defensive and almost aggressive if I look like I'm getting the upper hand on my wife. She's a very smart dog, and as she was growing up she loved animals and still does, but she wants to play with every animal like it is a husky like her, therefore her best friend Turbo, the cat, she cannot play with anymore due to the fear of her killing the cat by being too rough. She never barks, unless company comes over, and we set a baby gate up, becuase we cannot break her of jumping up on people, and her claws are quite irritating to u expecting guests. She will howl and make as much noise as possible if she realizes she is not getting her way. She knows all her tricks without question (sit, shake, other paw, both paws, lay down, easy bite) but she only listens when she wants too. She's had her first heat cycle about 4-5 months ago, and we have her scheduled to get fixed on the 13th. I'm just wanting to know if anyone else has this problem, she does also have a problem with when we leave, she will poop on the floor of the dinning room, every time. Even if she goes outside before, she will save some for the floor. She won't tear things up when we leave unless we leave the doors open and then she gets socks, rugs, clothes, anything she can lay on really. My only fear is that with the upcoming months she won't get any better and she will be too energetic for the baby. Can someone please tell me a good training technique? If I had the money to get a trainer I would. I just can't.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Playful Emma & my pregnant wife    Playful Emma & my pregnant wife  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 11:41 am

Your best bet is going to be some discipline and probably a crate. At 1.5 she is entering the terrible teens where it seems like all the work you have done just flies out the window and any points where her training was lacking (jumping) only multiplies ten fold. Get tough with her and you wife needs to also. Don't let her get away with anything. She doesn't do what YOU want, put her in a time out in room like a bathroom where she can't damage anything with her tantrum. Set harsh boundaries and don't let her run all over the house. It sounds like she is loose in the house all the time. Crate training her will go a long way to setting her some boundaries and the bratty pooping can be better managed. This will also help when the baby comes along because she is going to need a place where she can go for quiet time, both for her quiet time and yours. To help her better respect your wife your wife needs to work with her. Feed her, run her through her tricks, teach her something new, something to spend time with her to help Emma see her as an authority that holds the things she wants in her hands. What kind of exercise is Emma getting currently? Biking and scootering is something that you could look into now that she is a year old. If she isn't getting her energy needs met completely this only adds to how bratty and disruptive, and frankly ADD, this breed can be.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Playful Emma & my pregnant wife    Playful Emma & my pregnant wife  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 12:35 pm

Jenn gave great advice, this is the very reason husky rescues end up with pups between 1-3yrs old, They turn into bratty teenagers!

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Playful Emma & my pregnant wife    Playful Emma & my pregnant wife  EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 1:31 pm

jbealer wrote:
Jenn gave great advice, this is the very reason husky rescues end up with pups between 1-3yrs old, They turn into bratty teenagers!

Hmmm...where was the teenage human rescue when my 2-footed ones were the same (except for the bratty pooping on the floor lol! )

Excellent advice, Jenn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Playful Emma & my pregnant wife    Playful Emma & my pregnant wife  Empty

Back to top Go down

Playful Emma & my pregnant wife

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1