It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New shelter Husky is home!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

Female Join date : 2011-02-03

New shelter Husky is home! Empty
PostSubject: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 10:40 pm

If you were following the "Husky Season on Craigslist" thread you know I recently adopted a big white dog from the local animal control. He was labeled a white German Shepherd, but he has a straight back, blue eyes, a curly tail and a snow nose. So I'm thinking Husky. He could be a shepherd/husky mix. He has big shepherd ears. He is HUGE for a Husky (86LBS and skinny) but it more common for a Husky to be be huge than for a GSD to have blue eyes. Anyway, the shelter called today and said he had been neutered and we could come pick him up so we rushed over there after my husband got home from work.

I promised pics, but I couldn't get any good ones. Right now he and Siri, my husky puppy are in the garage because I haven't introduced my German Shepherd to the new dog yet, though they did meet briefly at the shelter. So please excuse the mess in the background. The garage is kind of a disaster area right now.

Meet Fenris Ulf! He is named after a character in The Chronicles of Narnia.

New shelter Husky is home! Fen1

New shelter Husky is home! Fen2

New shelter Husky is home! Fen3

New shelter Husky is home! Fen4

New shelter Husky is home! Fen5
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 10:48 pm

WOW, he looks huge compared to Sirius Red! He is very handsome. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Thank you! Siri can walk underneath of Fenris, lol!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 11:53 pm

awww you have a Shepard! I grew up with Shepards all my life. Huskies are actually the first non Shepards that I have. They're so sweet and loyal, but don't bring anybody that they don't trust around...they'll protect you till the end =) Your new addition is super super cute! If he's a husky/shepard mix then he'll be perfect!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm

Aww!! He IS ginormous! But very handsome Smile I'd definitely say a husky/shepherd mix, but he's got a lot of both in him Smile He's going to be a great dog!

New shelter Husky is home! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am

Yep, I have a German Shepherd too. He's not good with strangers at all. He's a completely different dog around his family. He's a big baby with us! But he is extremely aggressive with people he doesn't know.

And yes, husky/shepherd is actually a great combo since I have experience with both breeds. They're actually the only two breeds I ever want to own in the future, though I would probably take another wolf hybrid if it was a rescue situation.

Here is my shepherd.

New shelter Husky is home! Cw1n
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 12:15 am

Exactly! They are NOT good with strangers. My parents always made sure to have the shepards meet our closest friends and family since they were puppies because if not there was no way they were allowed in our house if they didn't! Now, with us, it was a totally different story! Most spoiled, loving, and caring dogs EVER! They'd do anything for their human family. I don't think I would own another breed either even though I love all dogs! I can never say never, but they both are the breeds that hold a special place in my hear =)
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:00 am

Def looks Shep/Husky but he's got a lot of noticeable traits from both! Like a split right down the middle Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:14 am

Aww congrats on your new addition, glad to see you finally got to bring him home! I too think shepherd/husky mix, that just means you'll get the best (hopefully not worst) of both breeds. Very Happy He looks so cute in his bandanna!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:56 am

Holy big boy! Congrats on your new addition, can't wait to hear how it all goes

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 2:27 am

He's huuuuge, must have GSD in him somewhere Smile How old is Siri? He's so little!
Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 2:41 am

Thanks everyone!

Siri will be 18 weeks on Sunday. He's just a baby =) It isn't that Siri is abnormally small. Fenris is just really really big. As soon as I can I will post a photo of Fenris standing next to Ceazer, my shepherd. Ceazer is a big dog at a healthy 80lbs, but Fenris is much taller. Fenris is very large even by GSD standards. His back when standing normally on 4 feet probably stands 3 feet tall, at least. If not more. If he stands on his hind legs he is probably taller than I am.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 3:59 am

aawww i thought he was older then that! He's a itty bitty baby Smile We got Zoey at 18 weeks and she was HUGE compare to Siri, she weighed 35lbs Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 9:41 am

What a handsome boy! Thanks so much for rescuing a shelter animal! They are the best, usually very grateful and devoted. Look forward to more pics.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:56 am

I keep wanting to call him Fenrir (Werewolf from Harry Potter) lol is your other GSD dog aggressive? Or just picky about other dogs? Will be a very gorgeous pack Smile Can't wait for a family photo!

Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 2:49 pm

No, Ceazer has always been good with other dogs but I am being overly cautious this time. 3 and a half weeks ago we got a husky off craigslist and the owner assured us he was great with other male dogs. Turns out he was extremely aggressive and attacked Ceazer. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time when the dog attacked and I ended up with 9 stitches in my arm that night. So now I'm just paranoid. =/
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 3:06 pm

SiriusRed wrote:
No, Ceazer has always been good with other dogs but I am being overly cautious this time. 3 and a half weeks ago we got a husky off craigslist and the owner assured us he was great with other male dogs. Turns out he was extremely aggressive and attacked Ceazer. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time when the dog attacked and I ended up with 9 stitches in my arm that night. So now I'm just paranoid. =/
I'm sorry that this happened, but because of it, be mindful of your paranoia and your fear in such situations. Dogs can sense our energy and emotions and your anxiety level could unintentionally initiate another fight. It might be best to have your husband handle introductions until you can experience more success and calm yourself down Sad

Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 3:34 pm

That is part of the reason they haven't been together yet. We're waiting until my husband gets home from work today. Plus if they were both in the house with me (my GSD is in the backyard) and they did start to fight since my arm is still healing there is no way I would be able to pull two big dogs apart without injuring myself.

We're going to start them our by walking them together, but not together if that makes any sense. That way they can walk near each other and we will let them sniff each other but if they start to act aggressive with one another we can take them away from each other.

We've had foster dogs in the past and we've never had a problem with Ceazer and another dog, but everything changed after the attack.

Also, this dog husky0talks when he wants attention. Every husky owner knows what that is - its not a bark, not a growl, not a whine. =p Siri doesn't talk. He has a short sharp bark.
Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 4:35 pm

This is where those two slept last night... it has to be better than the cold concrete floor of the city pound!

New shelter Husky is home! Fen8

New shelter Husky is home! Fen6

New shelter Husky is home! Fen7

New shelter Husky is home! Fen9
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Very glad to hear you're taking precautions. Unfortunately, some people just don't realize this and then make situations worse. It sounds like you and your husband are very experienced, and I have no doubt that Fenris will have a long, happy, and healthy life with you Smile Glad to have you here on the forum!

SiriusRed wrote:
We're going to start them our by walking them together, but not together if that makes any sense. That way they can walk near each other and we will let them sniff each other but if they start to act aggressive with one another we can take them away from each other.
Eddy (harrise) will be quite pleased to hear this. This is exactly what he recommends new owners/additions do Smile

Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks Koda, I'm glad to be here.

It is not that I am a doggie expert by any means. It is just that my husband and I have made a lot of mistakes in the past and we're trying to do the right thing now. Trust me, we want to provide a loving lifelong happy home for our boys more than anything!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 5:32 pm

I love the last pic of Fenris! That confirms it, definitely some Husky in there! lol

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 5:38 pm

SiriusRed wrote:
It is not that I am a doggie expert by any means. It is just that my husband and I have made a lot of mistakes in the past and we're trying to do the right thing now.
That's the crux of it really. None of us are truly experts, but our experiences, and learning from the experiences of others makes us pretty good at dispensing advice and helping to diagnose problems. None of us have the answer to everything, but we all know a little (or sometimes a lot) about a certain area. It's always good when members come in with a certain amount of experience already. It only helps our forum and makes us stronger as a whole. We'd be useless with just one or two members who "knew something" and a bunch of new dog owners looking for advice. Smile

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Well said, Tori.

+1

Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Yes, I agree. Very well said.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New shelter Husky is home!   New shelter Husky is home! Empty

Back to top Go down

New shelter Husky is home!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1