It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bikejoring tips?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SibeianHarryPotter
Newborn
Newborn
SibeianHarryPotter

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 7:15 am

Hey, guys!
I have a 9 month old husky puppy and want to start bijeroring with him.
Have been searching for a good harness on Amazon and Ebay, but I don't think t's a good idea to not really know what you are buying.
So, my question is what harnesses do you use for bikejoring and sledding?
And any other tips on bikejoring?
Thanks!
Btw, here is my Harry, he is such a bad puller lol. Has a really weird body for now, rear much higher than front. My friends say everything will get into lace after 15 months haha. he is 56 cm (22") tall and 20 kg (44 lbs) for now, very skinny... He is such a picky eater... Bikejoring tips?  Img_1610
Bikejoring tips?  Img_1210
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 11:19 am

Beautiful pup!

he's a bit young for bikejoring, though. You normally want to wait until after one year to do any serious running on pavement for him, or you risk harming his joints. Despite his size, he's very much a baby!

That said, it doesn't hurt to start getting him used to the harness and pulling something. We use an X-back harness and a tow line designed specifically for weight/sled pulling. We took the measurements carefully and it fits perfectly. When we first started, we just put it on her and attached the lines to a large but light stick so she got used to the sensation of pulling something, then gradually added weight.

When it came to bike, we actually used an adult tricycle--so we could go very slow--and I had a friend run ahead of her calling her with treats to get her to move forward.

This book focuses a lot on ski-joring, but has lots of info that you can use when getting use to bike-joring too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 11:25 am

Most people use harnesses by Ruffwear. I've been looking at the Front Range because it has the front loop added. Ruffwear Front Range At 9 months he could still have some growing so I would get something that has a little adjustment left in it if you are planning to get it now instead of at 1 year.

Have you looked at bike attachments yet? Any idea which you are planning to go with. I have a Walky Dog side attachment. Springer puts out a good side attachment also. Side mounted attachments take out a lot of the tipping factor that can come if you have a dog that likes to dart after squirrels. Front attachments take up less space on the road though if you are going to be riding on narrow trails.

Mostly you need to start slow. Teach commands for turns and get him used to the sound of the bike. Start by just walking him beside the bike, work on directional commands, and then work your way up to moving faster.

Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 11:35 am

Actually at the races the majority of people use regular ole x-back harnesses.

For Bikejoring I LOVE my zero DC faster harnesses, or my WC open back harnesses. When I'm running the whole team, I use Nooksack Racing's X-back harnesses.

Now are you in the US or UK?

For US I'd suggest Nooksack Racing to get your lines and harnesses.
For UK I'd suggest Indi-Dog. I've not ordered mushing equipment from her but I've been extremely satisfied ordering regular leads and she does make lines/harnesses.

As for tips as someone already noted he is a tad too young, typically 12 mo for running 18 mo for pulling.

When you start avoid pavement, try to find some good dirt/grass trails.

Work on commands now while on your walks Smile

Also if you have like a small plastic kids sled, you can have him pull that to get used to something dragging behind him.

Most importantly, have fun when you get out there.
Back to top Go down
SibeianHarryPotter
Newborn
Newborn
SibeianHarryPotter

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks, all of you! I'll definitely wait more. He's gonna be one in November, so it will be sledding season very soon! I'm gonna start teaching him right away. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 3:14 pm

I love everything i have gotten from Adanac sleds!
http://www.adanacsleds.com/bikejoring/

Please wait till Nov to start the hard running, but for now while out walking you can do mental work and do turn commands and heal and go to get him ready for the bike and sledding.
back in my pups young days i biked them and they have been out skijorring a few times as well, thats a ton of fun!

Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptyThu Aug 11, 2016 3:21 pm

There are a lot of good harnesses. However at his age he will most likely quickly out grow any you buy him so you may want to wait a bit before you buy him one. Most males are done growing around 2 but some still bulk up a bit until 3.

Here are some links to high quality sled dog gear.

http://www.adanacsleds.com/

https://alpineoutfitters.net/Scripts/default.asp
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
SibeianHarryPotter
Newborn
Newborn
SibeianHarryPotter

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptySat Aug 13, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Kat..How fortuitous that you were on today. I am unable to walk any distance at the moment and facing the reality that this will probably become a recurring theme in my life. So, am looking at alternatives for exercising the dogs and thinking an adult tricycle might be safer than my current two wheeled bike. Came across this old thread and found that you have a trike. What brand do you have and what vestiges do you find important.

We have hills everywhere so I'm thinking a 6 speed at least. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 2:15 pm

Amy, we have a new neighbor (lives about 5 miles down the road), a youngish gentleman in his 30's who has a recumbent trike. I've seen him on the blacktop road once going into town (16+/- miles) and he's happily sailing along over the mountains and around the curves. Guess he saves on gas but that could get to be a long trip! His does have some suspension on it which would help on the rutted dirt roads here but I'm not too sure about that ...

One thing you might consider, is that since you're reclining when on one of them there's not much of the pressure associated with a "standing" bike.

Take a look at this link that provides quite a bit more information.

Looked at some prices - man they're too high for my blood!! I'm guessing that all the extra metal in the frame and the related welding up that cost - but sooooo much!!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Al, I'm less comfortable reclining than I am leaning over. What would really suit my needs would be one of those arctic rigs that Megan uses but they are rather pricey for my purposes.  

I was able to walk Z'ev about a quarter mile and back today while Wayne took Ami for 3.5 miles.  Z'ev didn't even notice we had turned around and I let him do lots and lots of sniffing, pouncing and digging, then once we got home I let him off leash while we wandered.  All told he had 40 minutes of outdoor time.

I think first step is a couple of x  back harnesses and see how they do pulling some filled milk jugs.  If they don't pull nothing will work.  Weirdly enough, they get along best walking along in tandem so I think some sort of joring or carting would work with them.  I also like the idea of a sulky. But they are super expensive and won't give me a workout.  Also won't kill me either :p.  https://www.chalosulky.com
Back to top Go down
PollyR
Puppy
Puppy
PollyR

Female Join date : 2017-02-06

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 12:56 am

I tried bikejoring with Mars (a 75 lbs husky) with an x back and tow line last winter, but Mars Is not trained enough to not run after critters, etc., so I somersaulted a few times.  This winter I got the bike tow leash and it has made such a difference.  I control where we are going and I feel so much safer.  And, most importantly, he has not brought me down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bikejoring tips?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring tips?    Bikejoring tips?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Bikejoring tips?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1