It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky to be Euthanized

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
melissa89
Puppy
Puppy
melissa89

Female Join date : 2016-12-11

Husky to be Euthanized Empty
PostSubject: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 12:26 pm

Scrolling through Facebook this morning and from the Second Chance Rescue NYC Dogs Fb page, they shared a 13 year old male husky. Poor old guy was surrendered because his family suddenly didn't have time for him anymore, after all those years. Anyways, if there is someone on here that can save him or knows of someone that can save him, here is the link to the page and there is info on how to save him.

http://nycdogs.urgentpodr.org/ilya-a1099677/
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 12:59 pm

That is absolute and utter bullshit! This dog gave his family 13 years of joy and *now* they discover that someone has allergies and they don't have time for him ... euthanize the people who surrendered him! Better yet, take them away from all the people they have loved ....

I pray that some kind soul has time for this seniour!!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 5:20 pm

A rescue has to pull him. If a rescue would pull him I might could take him if transport could be arranged somehow. Their notes on him are less than helpful to get a rescue to pull him though since they repeatedly say he growled and doesn't like to be collared. The idiots doing the write ups and evaluations on this dog are doing as much to kill him almost as his no good owners.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyTue Dec 20, 2016 10:05 pm

Jenn - H2M2 nation is really good at arranging transport chains.  SHARP of NY, Husky House are 2 rescues in the area, though SHARP is hurting for money at the moment.

If you seriously would take this dog, I can post something on Empire State husky group - they are very active, down in Long Island and can make things happen. SHARP is one of their go to rescues.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyWed Dec 21, 2016 12:47 pm

I'm going to poke around. Husky house may have picked him up. He hasn't swapped over to destroyed yet. He has a lot of pledges and someone close by listed as wanting to adopt him this morning.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyWed Dec 21, 2016 12:50 pm

TwisterII wrote:
I'm going to poke around. Husky house may have picked him up. He hasn't swapped over to destroyed yet. He has a lot of pledges and someone close by listed as wanting to adopt him this morning.

That's good news - I've been looking for posts about him on my FB page but nothing shows up.

Are you a H2M2 nation member? A guy named Frank (I think he may be a founder, maybe? ) coordinates a lot of transports...really makes my day when I see a dog go by volunteers from CA to Michigan, IA, NY wherever there's a home!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyWed Dec 21, 2016 12:55 pm

I am not part of any H2M2 groups. If Kenzi wasn't such a butthead I would like to be able to be involved with our local one but wouldn't ever get to go to any of the meets. I expect if husky house did get him they will post something in the next few days. They will want to do a full evaluation themselves on him before they put him out for adoption.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 6:51 pm

Whelp... this was left up on the computer after looking for the dog Jenn is interested in. Wayne saw it, horrified and now we are burning up the net trying to find an approved rescue to pull and we will foster and I will train. The plan is foster/train and put up for adoption.... but then Wayne said something about foster fail. But all on the proviso that he never see any posts like that again. It is very demoralizing... so many dogs, especially in CA but also NYC. I feel as if I can train this dog, help him find a good home, then maybe I can do something, however little.

http://husky.rescueme.org/NewYork. Blazze.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 8:48 pm

For some reason your link just goes to RescueMe.org so I did some poking around and wish I hadn't.  Another try at the link Husky.RescueMe.org

Three beautiful Huskies on death row ... two owner surrenders and one of those after 13 years because they "don't have time".

It's really quite enough to make me cry .... literally!!!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 12:24 pm

So far, so good...Blazze is still on the super urgent list which means he is still alive. And SHARP has sent me a foster/adoption application. Seems that there are some rescue members that belong to the Empire State Snow Dog club that I belong to...they are mostly Long Island so I don't do much more than post on FB with them but they are the group that came up and camped for the weekend to hike Taughannock Falls (or Trickle as it was named last summer)

I don't see SHARP on animal control's list of New Hope rescues (this dog has behavior issues and goes only to what they call New Hope rescues). But its confusing as it looks like SHARP pulled another with NH designation last night or this morning - but they are in desparate need of funds and fosters at the moment. They've had a seriously ill dog they've been treating. BTW, this is the rescue the calendar funds went to this year...funny how things work, no?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Lookin' good...SHARP is a New Hope rescue and now we're starting to talk transportion.   I've only driven in NYC once and that was about 40 years ago so I hope they can meet me outside the city.

Now...advice needed.  Doggie has resource guarding issues...Al?

Also...Jenn. Ilya may still need a foster, suggestion made to contact SHARP re transport.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 1:17 pm

Amy, that is awesome that you and your husband is willing to be fosters!! Resource guarding, I suggest hand feeding. Do you know the extent of the resource guarding? Do you know if he needs to be fed separate from Ami? Does he guard toys, food, treats? I would ask the rescue what extent his guarding is first, and then get more suggestions beyond the hand feeding, trust is probably the issue since he is in rescue, is he an older animal? Sorry if you mentioned his age, knowing some history will help you in deciding what steps to take to work with the guarding issue.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 1:24 pm

Seen his rescue me post........Amy he is young, I think with proper training, the drop it, leave it and hand feeding, and build up of trust will help his guarding issues. He is lovely.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 3:51 pm

It is happening - I get a couple of days to digest this, transport will be Thurs, Fri or Sat. This guy is the opposite of Ami - normal coat, likes brushing and only 43 pounds! The real issue will be Archer - he tends towards resource guarding himself, not with his food dish, a tiny bit with his bones but we can still take it away but he does not want Ami anywhere near his bone, his toys or...us if he can get away with it. Fortunately, Ami is more "sheesh, Arch...whatever." Which he can't - this is Ami's house and Archer is a guest. So leashes, lines, crate for the initial time being.

I'm still a bit in shock. Gonna send a FB message to Jen (wpskier - she's a dog trainer at a Manhatten facility these days.)

Renee - I was surprised - the rescueme page said young adult but the paperworks says 6 years old! I sincerely hope he tolerates hand feeding...that's my first strategy. Interestingly, the volunteer at the shelter is having a completely different experience than his owner so maybe it won't be very difficult.

Now...the proviso from Wayne: I cannot have ANY MORE needs rescue pics/descriptions left on the computer. It breaks his heart, he nightmares night before last of dogs being killed. He really was distressed over this so I want to protect him...need to get my own computer or else use incognito windows and shut them down when done.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 11:39 pm

Hurray!!! Blazze and Max have been pulled by SHARP and Ilya was just pulled by Eskies online.  I am quite humbled by this process.... the rescue said had I not volunteered to foster, they would not be able to pull.  I know several members here are active in rescue.So, if it is at all possible, please consider fostering with your local rescues.  Or, especially, the CA shelters are overflowing.  Join H2M2 nation, become a part of a transport chain, share pictures... if this post regarding Ilya had not been posted here, if Jenn had not expressed interest, I would not have looked at the rescue me ny page... Wayne would not have seen the post... etc etc etc
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 12:05 pm

I am hoping my husband will land a job very soon. If he does then we will be in a better position to adopt. I am so ready to find a third. Congrats on your amazing footwork to get things moving Amy. You made a difference in those dogs lives and that is awesome.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Thanks, Jenn...man, I used up a whole bunch of our data cap doing it. And, now the real work begins. I've been searching resource guarding and training and boy, do I have my work cut out Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyWed Dec 28, 2016 5:23 pm

I think you may be surprised when you get started with the resource guarding. Some dogs once they are out of the situation that caused the guarding in the beginning they get over it real easy. Keno was nasty about guarding food when I got him. Didn't even growl, just turned to bite if you got too close. He tried it twice, got the hint it was wrong, and everything been honky dory ever since.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 2:04 am

TwisterII wrote:
I think you may be surprised when you get started with the resource guarding. Some dogs once they are out of the situation that caused the guarding in the beginning they get over it real easy. Keno was nasty about guarding food when I got him. Didn't even growl, just turned to bite if you got too close. He tried it twice, got the hint it was wrong, and everything been honky dory ever since.

I hope so...I plan on hand feeding only and and a full on mama don't take no sass should there be any...disagreements. archer and I have been having some mama moments... lots of resounding no's and withholding of treats and a door that does not get open until he shows patience. Then just the other day he started something, i just looked at him and that skunk down... was really funny. But, he is also easy peasy to train. He just needs some occasional refreshing.

SHARP needs another foster - a 2 yr old (ish) male that is very afraid.  He was pulled but they have no place to put him...the boarding kennel wouldn't take him.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Amy, I really wasn't ignoring your "... Al" above but resource guarding can cover so many issues that I couldn't think of any way to reply reasonably - and Jenn did a real good quick and dirty response (wish I'd thought of her comment ... Smile)
Of course hand feeding can help with so many issues that are confidence based (yours and his<?>) that it should have been the obvious first response.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 2:21 pm

The resource guarding is really unclear, there is such discrepancy between the owner reports and the shelter volunteer reports. I think the pickup date will be tomorrow, just waiting for final word. Hauling out the crate...I think for the first few days, the crate will be in the shop or one of the garages...on plastic! We had some major...I think I used the term "impressive" diarrhea with Ami when we first got him. As in like a paint sprayer. Three ft diameter, 360° pure liquid poop around his crate. Which fortunately, since Wayne likes to protect the floor of the garages, was covered with plastic.

Now...to pick up more carabiners and a water bowl.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Do you have a link to info about the male they still need a foster for? Curious of his situation. What kind of fear he has and if they have had him around other dogs. Submissive/nervous dogs I could probably work with as long as it isn't manic fear that might trigger kenzi's prey drive. Kenzi can't be around dominant excited dogs without trying to jump them but excessively fearful dogs we aren't sure about. We are working with fearfulness with keno currently. Outside he is fine, but in the house he is spooked easily. think it's a combination of bad eyesight and he's losing his mind. I swear that dog hears whispers in the walls...and it's not mice.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Go to SHARP website - one of their people has him. Can I give her your email?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 4:04 pm

I have to spin it by my husband first so I don't want to get them too excited if he ends up not getting this job he is trying for right now. I will check them out though and see if he could be a fit. Thanks.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Max may not make it... the boarding kennel refused him, he bit the coordinator and has been unworkable.

Blazze will be picked up at 2:30 tomorrow. I can't fit a crate in the car so hopefully I can get archers old harness on him. There is some question of leash reactivity. And, it's the same driver that deleted Max and if Blazze gives him any trouble, he may refuse to transport. I'll get there early so i can be all fueled, pee'd and coffee set, that way, once zblazze is loaded, I don't have to stop until I'm home in the garage
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky to be Euthanized   Husky to be Euthanized Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky to be Euthanized

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next