It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to stop "stupid"chewing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

How to stop "stupid"chewing  Empty
PostSubject: How to stop "stupid"chewing    How to stop "stupid"chewing  EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 5:05 am

How do you get your husky to stop chew stupid things. Today after a walk my wife and I go to eat so we lock tundra in our bedroom as usual with all his toys, what does he decided to do. Chew my tv remote. I heard it snap from out here which made me check on him. Is there any tricks to getting him to stop this behavior? I get that he chews and really don't care if he gets ahold of a slipper or something logical. But a tv remote I don't get it.
Additional info
We have had him a few weeks. Most times he's good and doesnt chew anything with the odd misshap here or there. Most are us being new dog owners and not thinking he would chew my mail ect. He just likes going into closets.we've Learning what he wants to chew and moving it. Longest he's been left alone is 4 hours. I would prefer not to crate him if possible. So any suggestions would be great.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How to stop "stupid"chewing    How to stop "stupid"chewing  EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 1:21 pm

I cannot say enough about the value of crating! Especially for a new dog. Even when they aren't intending to be destructive they can make an impressive mess. (My boy, just wanting to lay down, circles, circles, circles...paws at whatever he is sleeping on...then, if its not to his liking, uses his teeth to tear things into shape. I left him alone for about 15 minutes one morning, thinking he was settled (no separation anxiety) Came back in the room...pillow, overstuffed with shredded foam, no piece bigger than a thumb nail exploded all over my sun room...

You are doing your dog a favor by crating...what if that had been an electric cord? What if he ate a battery? What if he decided the window looked like a good way out - had a dog do that at the vet after spay.

You keep the dog safe and your house safe by crating.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How to stop "stupid"chewing    How to stop "stupid"chewing  EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 3:11 pm

On the one hand, I'm lucky that my pups don't chew on things they shouldn't.  Oh, I won't say that I haven't lost anything (one chewed the crotch out of two pairs of blue jeans!)  but they chew on sticks and the nylabone and are generally really laid back.

I have, however added two crates to my household because I recently (5 months ago) added one who apparently had never been house trained and I got tired of wet spots on the kitchen floor when I went to make morning coffee  -  "Hi dad!!! Good morning!! GRUMBLE!!

I have to second Amy's comment wholeheartedly - if you have a chewer there's nothing better for their safety and your peace of mind than knowing that they're in their 'den' and can't get into something they shouldn't.  Over the years (note, I'm about to turn 70) I've had dogs who have chewed shoes, socks (bad!!), chairs, couches - you name it, anything they could get at.  We, descendants of farmer folks, didn't even think about crating - on the one hand "it's cruel" to keep a dog locked down and on the other, if they didn't train, they became barn dogs- easy enough solution back then.

Contrary to my thoughts of long ago, crating isn't cruel, most dogs seem to spend their time asleep just waiting for us to get home; if they're trained right, they willingly go to the crate because it's their den and, beating a dead horse, they are safe.

How do you stop stupid chewing, you don't let it happen in the first place,

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How to stop "stupid"chewing    How to stop "stupid"chewing  EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 4:24 pm

This bizarre thing is at the point. He doesn't chew when we're not here it's only if we leave him in a room. It's like a spiteful action. If you think crating is good could you provided info on crate training and what size crate you reccomendation we have one from before when we got him it's just to small. Maybe thats why im against crating
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: How to stop "stupid"chewing    How to stop "stupid"chewing  EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 6:34 pm

If you leave him alone in a room, he's bored or frustrated - he wants to be with his pack and you're his pack.

If you live in the US - I don't think you've said - give Chewy a call and they'll be glad to help you decide what size you need.  (The link I gave you points to an inexpensive, light weight crate)

While we've had a lot of discussions about crate training, take a look at this Human Society

A search on the forum for crate training comes up with many different versions of the same topic - "How do I crate train my dog?" There are also several of "Why can't I crate train my dog?" Take a read around and we'll be glad to offer help and suggestions.

PS I can't offer any suggestions about what size to get since I don't think you've told us how big he is ... Smile

Back to top Go down
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How to stop "stupid"chewing    How to stop "stupid"chewing  EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 7:09 pm

He's huge lol and im here in canada
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: How to stop "stupid"chewing    How to stop "stupid"chewing  EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 8:20 pm

if you haven't call Chewy - - - well, scratch that, Chewy doesn't ship to Canada. I figured most business treated Canada as another 13 states ... well, fooy on me!

Back to top Go down
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How to stop "stupid"chewing    How to stop "stupid"chewing  EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Lol nope we get shafted hard. Shipping is rediculous plus all the importing taxes
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How to stop "stupid"chewing    How to stop "stupid"chewing  EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 9:15 pm

My 73 pound, 25.5" wooly fits find in a 42"crate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to stop "stupid"chewing    How to stop "stupid"chewing  Empty

Back to top Go down

How to stop "stupid"chewing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1