It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Food recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

Food recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 3:17 am

Tundra is 14 months old and i am not happy with his current food. Although i love its price point, he doesnt have consistant poops and its quite mushy at times. I wondering what everyone would recommend beyond taste of the wild as the price of it in canada is rediculous (over double what im payong for a bag now for less) all input is welcome
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi Psingletongolf, It is easier to know what you are currently feeding and how much in order to help you out. There are several foods I can recommend, but without knowing the two questions hard to give a good idea. Also dependent on what and how much, quite often huskies have pudding poops because of 2 reasons, 1) over feeding, they typically eat 20-25% less than bag recommendations, and 2) if it has grains, most huskies are grain intolerant.
Back to top Go down
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Ill copy it over the info from the previous post, were feeding him 1.75 cups roughly twice a day. Its called actrium holistic
Back to top Go down
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 2:28 pm

Crude Protein - min- 28.0%
Crude Fat - min - 18.0%
Crude Fiber - Max - 3.0%
Moisture - Max - 10.0%
Ash - max - 10.0%
Calcium - Min - 1.5%
Phosphorus - min - 1.0%
Omega 3 - Min -0.4%
Omega 6 - Min - 2.5%
DHA - Min - 0.1%
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 3:22 pm

Do you have a costco, tractor supply or walmart in your area? I remember now, Smile
Back to top Go down
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Walmart. Dont know what tractor supply is. Im canadian lmfao
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 3:31 pm

I can't give any real help, but for those who can look better:
Actrium Holistic is, apparently, made by Elmira pet foods in Elmira, ON
If I'm reading this right, they also manufacture the Oven Baked Tradition brand (( along with several other brands ))
Both appear to be distributed through WalMart (boo-hiss!, not a good recommendation)
DogFoodAdvisor has been requested to review these product but so far, as far as I can tell, hasn't.  However they have reviewed the Oven Baked group (which should be available at WalMart, as well) and rank it 3.4-4 out of 5 start.
Renee (@miyasmomma), spends more time looking for stuff like this than I do, it's just that I didn't recognize the brand at all that sent me looking.

For some reason, I think you might be from Canada ....
(( okay, I was scribbling this when you and Renee exchanged comments ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 3:46 pm

They are stores that have good food at inexpensive prices. LOL apparently your Walmart doesn't carry the brand I was going to suggest Pure Balance, which imho is slightly better than the one your are currently feeding. Costco has Nature's Domain which is a good quality food. The other's would be Diamond grain free, Acana, or First Mate, Kossik. Since you are in Canada and we are not, maybe if you list the foods that you are considering it would be easier for me to recommend Smile
Back to top Go down
Psingletongolf
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 4:31 pm

There pc brand that looks decent, most of the big brands are here at non rediculous prices. (TOTW is over 100$) iams pedigree ect ect
Back to top Go down
GenaG
Puppy
Puppy
GenaG

Female Join date : 2012-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptySun Feb 26, 2017 12:44 pm

I'm also in Canada, so I understand what you're saying about prices. I've heard that Costco is good dog food for the price, but it sounded like you weren't close to one. A lot of my friends have moved to Acana, it's an AB based product. Only heard great things and it's cheaper than Petvalu brand and TOTW. Definitely worth a try on that one if you can find it. You can also check Amazon to see if they are selling it if you can't find any locally. Where in Canada are you?
Back to top Go down
Ampuppies
Newborn
Newborn
Ampuppies

Male Join date : 2017-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptySun Feb 26, 2017 10:51 pm

I have found that the most expensive foods make it harder for my dogs to digest . I've bought pallets or Origen, AKana, Blue buffalo, instinct, Evo...etc. I would never be able to have nice solid stool, always soft and hard to clean. For my older dogs I use Purina Pro plan Sport. Been using this for several years now and it works magic. Another thing that we give our dogs is NUVET. My oldest dog is 18 1/2 years old. You can order those from NUVET.com. You can use my Breeders code to get a discount. 7308

Feel feee to ask me any questions
Back to top Go down
http://ampuppies.com
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 10:25 am

... and Purina Pro Plan Sport ranks a 2.5 out of 5 on DogFoodAdvisor which is our go-to site for dog food information.  There are much better foods available that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. My sympathy to people who can't get a decent food at a decent price, it really makes it rough to give our dogs the quality of care they deserve.

The one leading problem we've found here when presented with a puppy with soft stools is that the pup is typically being over fed (or allowed to eat more than they need).

I'm going to go out on a limb here.  I think that most of us try to give our dogs the best food that our money can buy.  While this article from WebMD is directed toward humans, we're both mammals and tend to process our food the same way.  If your pup is in generally good health and you're feeding a good food you'll have all the nutrients your pet needs. You might also find this article from PetWave interesting. "Supplementing" its food, imho, is a waste of good money and can be harmful.  Read the ingredients, examine your pets needs and see if you really need a supplement.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 2:16 pm

And Al I read this last night but didn't want to sound rude, but the Nuvet is a marketing ploy from not so great of breeders. We here on the forum have mentioned this before, if the breeder insists you buy this product, typically the first 2 years of the puppies life, it's just a way for the breeder to make more money off of the buyer. Many breeders will void the health contract if you don't buy from them. When I read this last night I felt almost as if this was an ad or someone selling something, which I personally thought was against forum rules. I highly recommend anyone looking for a puppy to stay away from a breeder who does this.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptyMon Feb 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Well bred and quality fed pups shouldn't need any supplements. The only time a dog should get supplements is if they are lacking something, and you know it, or have a health condition that requires them. The most supplements I would give any normal dog without underlying conditions is fish oil and vitamin E to just help with coat health, but many good quality foods will do most of this work for you and even that is much of the time unnecessary.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 2:45 am

I realize this thread didn't start out talking about Nu Vet, but it was taken in that direction for some reason. The Nu Vet supplement isn't something dangerous or shady...it was a supplement I looked in to when my last two huskies were having seizures as it has ingredients in it that help brain function and such. I talked to my own vet about it as well as a vet I know from my dog walk. Both said pretty much what TwisterII and Al mentioned, that if you are feeding your dog, a quality food, a supplement such as this is unnecessary. It doesn't necessarily *help* your dog, but it won't hurt them either. I looked in to the ingredients, and what each one does and was *impressed* but my vet was like, well...if you want to give it to them it's fine, but the food you are feeding (which was Natures Domain at the time...only 3.5 to 4 stars on food advisor) is providing them with all that is required and then some.
Back to top Go down
Petertmartin
Newborn
Newborn
Petertmartin

Male Join date : 2017-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptyTue Feb 28, 2017 8:55 pm

just my 2 cents but in Australia we currently pay $100AUD for a large 13kg bag of TOTW and I'm happy to spend that much because Harlow loves the kibble and I know it's quality. We buy a new bag maybe every 2 months currently since she's still a puppy and she eats more than she will when she's an adult. I don't think $1.60 a day is too expensive when you look at it like that. I order online and find that's the cheapest option with free delivery. I also add chicken livers and chicken hearts as treats or toppers
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 1:09 am

I will only say that I feed totw, high prairie. When we got Z'ev, his coat was rough, dull and thin. Sniff cost had always been thick,glossy and soft. After 2 months on totw, Z'ev's coat is the same. And the poops are firm and compact. Z'ev had none of the initial pudding poop and diarrhea that Ami had.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food recommendations   Food recommendations Empty

Back to top Go down

Food recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1