It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw Goat's Milk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 10:19 pm

I read there are a lot of health benefits to raw goat's milk for you pups...

Does anyone give their dogs raw goats milk?

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 11:56 am

Never even heard of it being good for dogs! Isn't milk supposed to be one of those items that should be restricted to puppies though, not full grown adult dogs?

cmanding

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:02 pm

I don't know anything about raw goat's milk for dogs...I was hoping someone on the forum might have some info.

I went to my fave local pet store that has all Ginger's food and treats, and was looking at the frozen raw patties and saw raw goat's milk and asked about it. The 2 girls in the store said both their dogs love it because it's on the sweet side, but I don't know if their dog's ages.

I'll see if I can find anything on it....I was just curious.

Huskyluv

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Please share whatever you find out, you've made me somewhat curious about it. Not that I intend to use it, but just to know. Something about the idea of goats milk grosses me out. Razz

cmanding

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:32 pm

This link shows the brand that was carried in my local pet store:
http://www.answerspetfood.com/additional.html

Here's a snipet:
Answers Pet Food Additional: Raw Goat's Milk is the most complete food known according to the Journal of American Medicine. Raw Goats Milk contains vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, trace elements, enzymes, protein, and fatty acids that are utilized by the body with ease. In fact the body can digest goat’s milk in 20 minutes. It is more digestible because the fat molecules are one-fifth the size of those from cow milk -- making it easily tolerated by those with compromised digestive systems. Seventy-two percent of the milk used throughout the world is from goats.

An article entitled ”Raw Milk Cures Many Diseases”, written in 1929 by the founder of the Mayo Clinic, John E Crewe, M.D., documents raw milk tackling problems of chronic disease such as brain and nerve disorders, asthma, neuralgia, fluid retention, liver disease, heavy metal poisoning, malnutrition, kidney disease, kidney stones, diabetes, gastric disturbances, obesity, colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, poor digestion, diarrhea, constipation and heart disease to name a few. There are many healing properties of raw milk and it can be a wonderful addition to your companion's diet! Shipped frozen.

Provides natural goodness with un-processed fats for healthy digestion
Delivers live active probiotics, prebiotics, vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, trace elements, enzymes, protein, and fatty acids to both dogs AND CATS!
Quickly and effortlessly enhances your pet’s diet, or just as a special treat.

------------
The article below says raw goat's milk for puppies, not for adults:

Goat Milk for Dogs

. Goat's milk is used in puppy formula. Although goat's milk has been slow to catch on in the United States, the rich, slightly sweet milk has enjoyed worldwide popularity for many years. Because it is higher in fat and protein than cow's milk, goat's milk is popular with dog breeders with finicky eaters in their litters. According to Mary Wakeman, D.V.M., in Breeder Vet online magazine, undiluted evaporated goat's milk is a good choice for puppies that need supplemental feeding but have trouble digesting the larger fat globules in cow's milk.

Uses
Goat's milk is commonly used as replacement or supplemental formula for newborn puppies that can't get nutrition or adequate nutrition from the mother. The fat globules in goat's milk are much smaller than those found in cow's milk, making goat's milk more easily tolerated by puppies. Once dogs are weaned from milk or formula and are eating regular dog food, they should not be fed either goat's or cow's milk

--------------

Huskyluv

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 2:06 pm

After a little reading of my own, I have to say that I agree that raw goat's milk is great for puppies, but I would not go so far as to say the same for adult dogs. I personally wouldn't recommend any milk for adult dogs, regardless of source. After all, there is a reason puppies are weaned off milk in the first place. Now for puppies I could see it being more useful if mom's milk is not available and they are not weaned yet. Just seems to go against nature to put them back on milk after they are weaned if you ask me.

Newborn
Newborn
2Nefariousangels

Female Join date : 2011-07-15

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 9:20 am

My Briar and Willow were on goats milk as soon as they had their first solid meal (to wet the kibble down) and until they came home to us at about 9 weeks. So I can only vouch for it being healthy for puppies and really cant say if its the same for an adult dog. This is going off topic but I did some strong reading/researching on goats milk and cheese once my daughter was diagnosed with ADD and we chose to treat it with diet changes rather than medication. We had GREAT results but it caused quite a stir.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 12:29 pm

What about lactose intolerance that most adult dogs have? Or is goats milk lactose free?
Back to top Go down
2Nefariousangels
Newborn
Newborn
2Nefariousangels

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 5:04 pm

I dont know anything about lactose intolerance in adult dogs, or have any idea if it may be good or bad for them, but what I do know is goats milk is only slightly lower in lactose than cows milk but it is much easier to digest. Some people with lactose intolerance do well with it and it has many benefits. The benefits in adults have actually been compared to the benefits an infant gets from breast milk. A lot of people suffering from various ailments looking for holistic treatments have incorporated goats milk into their diet. I incorporated it into the diet we used to treat my daughters ADD because she was really missing out on cheese. It's then that I learned a little more about it. I'm interested in finding out if anyone has any information on goats milk and goats milk products for adult dogs.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Megan, All I could find was the info I posted here in this thread.

Newborn
Newborn
2Nefariousangels

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 5:59 pm

There was a lot of good information in that article. Its surprising to me that there's really not to much out there on this subject! From what I see, it's the same, good for pups but not used in adult dogs. Seems mostly used as a supplement for nursing pups right now. I wonder if we'll be seeing this looked into more in the future and if we'll hear anything about goats milk being used for Dogs suffering various ailments, the way it's now used by people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Raw Goat's Milk  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Goat's Milk    Raw Goat's Milk  Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw Goat's Milk

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1