It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Cataract help please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
William straka
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2017-05-30

Cataract help please Empty
PostSubject: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyTue May 30, 2017 3:12 pm

New member: hello. I have a 5 1/2 yr old husky. Was recently told by my vet Duke has cataracts. Eye pressure was 20/24 left and right. I would not have known unless they had spotted it. He does have redness around outside the eyes but he's had that forever.  I have a appointment in July  at the Texas eye institute for dogs in Dallas that just does cataracts. My area does not have any cataract places so I'll be traveling about 140 miles per trip. My question is I was told that those numbers are normal for a husky. ? So any feed back would be gratefull. Also does anyone have any tips or tricks to apply eye drops, it has been a nightmare to try and give them. I've tried lots of diff ways but with no luck. (He weighs about 72 pnds) and the drops were expensive. Thanx for any feed back you can give.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyTue May 30, 2017 5:28 pm

Don't know about eye drops for cataracts. Pressures are a screen for glaucoma. And sometimes, drops are prescribed for glaucoma.

Oops.. which reminds me. Ophthalmologist does not have my new phone number and I think I have an appointment coming. Or missed Sad
Back to top Go down
William straka
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyTue May 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Ya vet was ophthalmologist...all she could do was pressure test. Drops was for the redness irratation
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyFri Apr 16, 2021 3:32 pm

I'm trying to remember where I saw a discussion about eyedrops for cataracts in dogs and can't find it.

The Mayo Clinic wrote:

There is no natural cure for cataracts. According to the Mayo Clinic, no studies have proved how to prevent cataracts or slow their progression.

There is a drug out called Can-C which some tout as the end all for eliminating cataracts ...

You're going to have to look around and take your best guess.  Everything I've seen is in absolutes and well, who really knows? Remember that there is a very small difference between our eye and our dogs eyes. So researching on cataracts in general is probably going to give you better ideas.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyFri Apr 16, 2021 4:40 pm

There is ocuvite? Or something like that that claims to reverse pannus and pra. Talked to a bunch of vets, no one knows anyone that has ever used it.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyFri Apr 16, 2021 5:02 pm

aljones wrote:
I'm trying to remember where I saw a discussion about eyedrops for cataracts in dogs and can't find it.

The Mayo Clinic wrote:

There is no natural cure for cataracts. According to the Mayo Clinic, no studies have proved how to prevent cataracts or slow their progression.

There is a drug out called Can-C which some tout as the end all for eliminating cataracts ...

@aljones this is back from 2017!

aljones wrote:
You're going to have to look around and take your best guess.  Everything I've seen is in absolutes and well, who really knows?  Remember that there is a very small difference between our eye and our dogs eyes. So researching on cataracts in general is probably going to give you better ideas.

Last edited by aljones on Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Separating Amy's comment from mine.)
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyFri Apr 16, 2021 8:48 pm

@amymeme  Oddly I found nothing even reasonably current.

However, I need to take reading lessons,  I read:
Quote :
According to National Capital Poison Center, vinegar can cause redness, irritation, and corneal injury.
as
Quote :
According to National Capital Poison Center, vinegar can cause redness, irritation, and cornmeal injury.

Bad day ... maybe I need my eyes (or brain) checked.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyFri Apr 16, 2021 8:58 pm

aljones wrote:
@amymeme  Oddly I found nothing even reasonably current.  

So you're looking for information, not providing a response? Ah. Get it. I've of the pups developing cataracts? Or you?

I have small ones in my eyes, not needing anything yet. Sunshine and steroids predisposes to development. I never go outside without sunglasses. Ever. Can't do anything about the steroids. Breathing trumps eyes.

I'm not aware of anything to prevent cataracts, treatment is removal once they become advanced.

Occuvite (?) vitamin cocktail is for mascular degeneration.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyFri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 pm

Nope, not me ... I had surgery a few years ago and can see better than I was ever able to.

I remembered a discussion somewhere, I though either here or on Husky-Owners but a search on both turns up almost nothing. I was looking to see if I could help the OP but obviously not.

It's 20:30 and they get treats at 21:00 so Sasha's in her crate (be)moaning just how bad a master I am. The whining is about to drive me up a wall!!!!! It's not pain, that has an entirely different sound - I've figured that out - it's "Daddy, feed me more!!!"

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyFri Apr 16, 2021 11:06 pm

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with sasha?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 12:09 am

Lostmaniac wrote:

Other than the fact that she's a female nope.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 10:48 am

aljones wrote:
Lostmaniac wrote:

Other than the fact that she's a female nope.

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 pm

OccuGlo is the eye vitamin that a lot of people give their diabetic dogs to help with cataracts. It won't really stop them but people seem to think that it will slow the progression. I was giving my girl billberry supplement. We have some cloudiness that is forming from the diabetes but she can still see. Lot of places will suggest surgery which can cost the same as a nice used car. If there's still some sight to work with then you can try the supplements.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 5:06 pm

That was the one i was thinking of. I had looked at it for shadow at one point but didn't know anyone that had actually used it and the reviews sounded like they were selling miracles and that made me suspicious.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 8:38 pm

@William Straka did you ever get anything resembling an answer?  I know I wasn't a lot of help but a few folks suggested things.

ETA: Well, that was a wasted message, he joined on Mar 29 and his last visit was on Mar 30 ... sorry guy.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 4:00 pm

aljones wrote:
@William Straka did you ever get anything resembling an answer?  I know I wasn't a lot of help but a few folks suggested things.

ETA:  Well, that was a wasted message, he joined on Mar 29 and his last visit was on Mar 30 ... sorry guy.

Yeah March 2017! How does you ever resurrect this post?!!?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 pm

@amymeme I have no idea how that showed up on my list again. I looked to see when he joined and when his last post was - didn't realize that it was four years ago.

I know, @lostmaniac must have posted something that I replied to and then deleted her message .... right??? Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cataract help please   Cataract help please Empty

Back to top Go down

Cataract help please

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1