It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I love owning a Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

I love owning a Husky Empty
PostSubject: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:43 am

NOT!

Ughh! I left Embry and Zoey outside on their tie outs alone without supervision for I think 5 freaking minutes while I quick got dressed. I went to go let them in and all I see is Zoey and Embrys collar laying on the ground attached to his tie out! Freaking heart attack! My mom was on her way to pick me up cause we had a lunch planned, and my Ex had just left to go look at a new car. I called him bawling because it's bad enough when they get out, but even worse when you don't see them get out and can't figure out what direction they go! He sped over, and my mom and I looked around also. I found him in a neighbors yard so my Ex drove over, opened the car door and asked him if he wanted to go to the dog park, he ran over, and then decided he'd rather play alone Mad so he ran off towards the country/woods and main road! It was horrible!

An hour later he finally showed up back near the house near a lady walking two dogs, and him peeing on a stupid tree. My mom opened the back door and he jumped right in Evil or Very Mad i think he hates me and my ex. well that was my eventful day Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:11 am

aawww Girl Sad Well Glad U Got EM !~ OMG I COuldnt Count The Times I Chased Husky's & mals .. I Chased This Rescue Mal Girl .. for 2.5 MONTHS .. She Just kept Taunting me .. ha But That Was Smart Offering for ride & Park .. Mine Cave when i say "want a Treat " .. HUgs Im Having Collar issues here Right now W Mira's & Icon's Looseing Up ...
Last Night I Was Bring Icon In off Tie Out And BAM .. She was Rammpid Loose .. Went to Run Away from me .. But She Came right back Over to me and Laid her Head DOwn .. Now THAts a Good Girl !!~

Last edited by Muddy~Mira on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:12 am

You Knw Ur a Husky Owner when Ur running through The Streets W a Leash & NO Husk On The other end Of it Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 12:38 pm

OMG Jennett I would have died!!!!!!! We have a fenced in yard, but the front gate isn't too tall. Maybe 4feet. I never leave them out there alone and the hubby says i'm paranoid =\ We're working on getting a 6ft fence put up there. We rent, but the owner said it was cool.

I always tell my hubby that we can't trust them outside alone for more than 10seconds and he's always like yeah we can. I had to send this thread to him and now he's like "oh man, maybe you're right!". I'm so so so glad that you found him!!! Wow! And Zoey, what a good girl, she didn't try to run after her brother =)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 pm

MelissaI wrote:
I always tell my hubby that we can't trust them outside alone for more than 10seconds

Ditto!

I never leave my dogs in the yard unattended for more than a few seconds, ever! I would have thought we'd trained you better than that Jennet! Razz Glad you got them back and I bet you'll never do that again. Laughing

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
MelissaI wrote:
I always tell my hubby that we can't trust them outside alone for more than 10seconds

Ditto!

I never leave my dogs in the yard unattended for more than a few seconds, ever! I would have thought we'd trained you better than that Jennet! Razz Glad you got them back and I bet you'll never do that again. Laughing

I look like a crazy person in the mornings while attempting to make coffee. We drink Cuban coffee (not American) so it's more of a process. Fill the bottom with water, put the coffee in, fill the cup with sugar, watch for the coffee to start coming out (takes a few min), to then put the first bit in the sugar to be able to make the foam, etc. Try that with huskies in the yard! I must run back and forth in that 5min process I swear like 15 times!
lol!
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:14 pm

Yet another "never ever leave 'em unsupervised outside" person here. The longest Nikolai has been alone out there was for me to get dressed - about 3 minutes... and he was nicely distracted with a bone in the yard. I'm really, really glad you got your dogs back!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:28 pm

MelissaI wrote:
I look like a crazy person in the mornings while attempting to make coffee. We drink Cuban coffee (not American) so it's more of a process. Fill the bottom with water, put the coffee in, fill the cup with sugar, watch for the coffee to start coming out (takes a few min), to then put the first bit in the sugar to be able to make the foam, etc. Try that with huskies in the yard! I must run back and forth in that 5min process I swear like 15 times!

I bet that's a sight! This past week that I've been gardening in the yard, when I needed something in the garage while the dogs were out I'd sprint to the garage, grab the tool or bag of soil and sprint back to the yard. Laughing And I do still love owning a husky! Very Happy

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Wink Maybe I trust my two too much! Glad you got him back!

I love owning a Husky Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:49 pm

SaraB wrote:
Wink Maybe I trust my two too much! Glad you got him back!

If you have a SUPER SUPER secure yard I would probably trust them for a bit longer too Smile
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Not to be the devils advocate but I can trust my dogs for a while in the yard... We have a nice secure fence which is padlocked from the inside so I guess that helps. Honestly, I think my dogs know how good they have it!

Although as i'm typing this i'm knocking on my wooden desk...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Im good with leaving our 2 in the back as well, never for more then 10 or so min of not checking on them but i have left them out back in the morning when i go shower and get ready for work. the only fear i have is the gate opening for some reason. the one is clipped closed so i know it will not open but the other i just never know, nor do i trust my neighbors.... we have 3 sides of 6' wood fence and one side that is 5', never have tried to get out they just lay on the deck looking to come in and i say NO stay out and play Smile i don't trust Jack with my gardens in the back as he has dug some holes into fresh planted flowers in the past.... so much for my fence i have put around them, he clears it with out blinking.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 9:27 pm

See, but you girls have totally totally secure yards! I have the feeling that Val probably does too, but in my case I don't and I don't trust them AT ALL!!! Mya maybe, but Kody....NO WAY!!!!!!!!! If i had a 100proof husky yard I would leave them out for 10min at most before checking on them, but until then I'm stuck with the run in do something within 15seconds, and run out! lol! We love our doggies huh? I love you
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:12 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Although as i'm typing this i'm knocking on my wooden desk...

LOL! I did the same thing while typing!

My yard is just 4ft chain link and I put a few things in front of the spaces that might be big enough for them to squeeze through. But there isn't much going on around my yard that they can't get into in the yard. They can dig, catch squirrels, chase eachother around, and chew on their random chew toys out there. But I do want to clear out my yard more (about 2/3rds of it is solid brush that the girls have made trails through) and put up a nice 6ft wooden fence and a kennel with a top on it. And I'm a bad owner, I've forgotten them out there a few times, including just before dinner tonight! lol. I was reminded when I heard the neighbor yorkie barking at them. Bad me!!!!!

Almost tall enough! lol.
I love owning a Husky IMG_1939

I love owning a Husky Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Yeah we have 6ft shadowbox wood fencing on 3 sides and 4ft chainlink along the side that has our neighbor backed to it.

Sara we literally have just started clearing out our yard last weekend. It was a serious job! We had to take 2 truck fulls of stuff to dump... So much brush and leaves!!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 pm

My yard isn't fenced yet, it's about 3/4 of the way there.... so our two are out on tie outs. John and I just argued about this today. My desk sits by the window to the back yard, so I can see out to most of the yard from my desk. I'll hear them wrestle and watch occasionally as I'm typing through the window at them. But I'll leave them out there for a while... John freaks out and doesn't like to let them be outside for more than 10 mins.

All I'll say is that I've had a scare like Jennet's... so I'm much more careful now... but even when we fence off the rest of the yard this spring, I don't think they'll ever be out there unsupervised, or even untied until we have 6' privacy fencing all the way around... and even then I'll think twice about it.

I love owning a Husky Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 8:55 am

arooroomom wrote:
Yeah we have 6ft shadowbox wood fencing on 3 sides and 4ft chainlink along the side that has our neighbor backed to it.

Sara we literally have just started clearing out our yard last weekend. It was a serious job! We had to take 2 truck fulls of stuff to dump... So much brush and leaves!!

I'm with you girls on the cleaning out the yard situation! You have no idea how much junk and tons of crap was in the yard!!! Our last BIG thing to get rid of is this ridiculously ugly 30ft tall by god knows how long aluminum roof of a shed. This thing is tied up against the fence and it's so big that we're having trouble finding somebody to get it the heck outta here!!! It's not even ours...it's my hubby's moms boyfriend that started building it and left it half way. Mind you...our yard..lol!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 10:33 am

We have a fairly secure fence, it's 6 ft wood privacy on 3 sides and 6 ft black aluminum in the back...still it's 6 ft tall fencing all the way around.

I don't leave my dogs unsupervised for a variety of reasons, not just that they could possibly escape...
- to prevent them from digging where they're not supposed to anywhere in the yard
- to prevent digging under the fence
- to prevent the fence becoming a chew toy
- to curb boredom (they prefer to be where I am and get bored it left alone thus leading to the above) and get them active (they're more likely to play and exercise when I get involved)
- MOST IMPORTANTLY for their protection! I've read too many personal horror stories of dogs being shot, stolen or poisoned while left unattended in a yard...that's not a risk I am comfortable taking. I know of people letting their dogs out unattended for 5 minutes and then finding them poisoned or stolen and in rarer cases, shot. Plus with my little chis I have to be there to protect them from birds of prey that are an ever present danger.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 2:00 pm

We have a secure 6 ft fence also, and I will leave her out there by herself, but I'm watching her from inside. She doesn't dig, chew or climb...but I just don't want her eating grass. Not that she has, but if she ever got sick from eating something she shouldn't have, I don't want to be bringing her to the vet saying, 'I dunno...'

Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 12:02 am

Glad you got your dog back, Jennet.
I know the feeling- total freak out while trying to sound calm and happy when you call "Come."

Bodhi got out last week after a run. He munched on a bunch of grass. I grabbed him by the harness. He shook his head and was gone. I still don't know how he backed out.

He ran up to the road and started going a hundred miles an hour up and down in front of my house in the street. I got down on my hands and knees and pretended I had treats. He ran past me, but not close enough so I could get him. Luckily, no cars were coming.

Then he took off to a neighbor's house about a quarter mile away, me running in hot pursuit. A tree service was taking down a big fir on their property. They had a crane, a crew with chain saws and a wood chipper. He was circling them when I got there. They were yelling, "Call your dog. Get him outa here!"

I was trying to grab him. Then he ran away from me back toward our house. I chased after him and he ran onto the deck. But I couldn't get there fast enough, and he ran below the deck and into his kennel. I ran into the kennel, but I didn't see him, turned and ran out. I heard a noise behind me. He had been in his dogloo and he came tearing out past me. I launched instinctively in the air and tackled him as he ran past.

We both just lay there panting.

I love owning a husky!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky EmptySun Mar 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Far to many times when I would return home I would find Adobo outside the kennel of course still hooked up to her lead. Finally decided to replace the fencing I had and replaced it with 6 ft. high sections from the K9 Kennel Store out of Utah. Cost less the chain link fencing of the same height and then also bought the anti digging bars which is what convinced me to go this route. Since last October when I installed this "fencing" not once has Adobo or Biko escaped. The digging bars enter inside the kennel about a foot, so in order for them to dig and escape route they would have to tunnel. Not gonna happen (or hasn't) Oh two other things neither Adobo or Biko are on leads in the kennel any more and haven't been since last October. The other is that this kennel system is portable enough that if you move it can go with you, big and bulky but better then leaving it behind like you would have to with cement posted chain link.

With a lil bit of adaption I see no reason why they couldn't be used with those who have chain link or other fencing.

http://www.k9kennelstore.com/documents/digging_prevention_system.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I love owning a Husky   I love owning a Husky Empty

Back to top Go down

I love owning a Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1