It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Possessive Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tdanielle
Newborn
Newborn
tdanielle

Female Join date : 2010-12-03

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:42 am

So Sasha and Scarlet are getting along really well ..except when it comes to toys. Scarlet shares fine until Sasha decides she doesnt want to share anymore and will run off with the toy and then snap at Scarlet when she approaches Sasha. Sasha is only 12 weeks so I'm hoping she's still young enough to try and rectify this..I dont want to have Scarlet get aggrivated one day and go after Sasha..

Just a reminder..Scarlets 7 months Sasha is 12 weeks . Other than that they're fine together when they play they even cuddle up to sleep.

Possessive Puppy 196994_10100388579355739_8843995_60772682_2551149_n

I just dont know how to nip this possessive streak in the bud. I love my babies and I just want them to get along in all aspects.

Help Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:08 am

Maybe others will disagree but I would just let them be and settle it themselves. I try not to interfere with my dogs' behavior toward one another unless things became dangerous and pose serious health risks like a real fight.

As long as they both have plenty of toys available and are not in danger or seriously fighting I would let them be. Now if it were directed toward people then that is a different story.

My sibe is possessive about certain toys and chews, but fights never erupt because I never let things get that far. If snapping or growling occurs then I issue a vocal correction. If it persists after the vocal correction then I will issue another vocal correction and remove the item that was being guarded until they settle down before I reintroduce it. Another option is to issue a vocal correction and then redirect their attention onto you or something else. So if Sasha takes a toy and snaps at Scarlet for approaching you can give a vocal correction to Sasha and then invite Scarlet over to play with you...that will more than likely get Sasha interested in coming over to investigate and play with you too...thus taking their attention off the toy.

Even my chi girls can get possessive of a toy and it's usually harmless so I just let them be. They have their pack structure and I try not to intervene as much as possible.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:39 am

Huskyluv wrote:
Maybe others will disagree but I would just let them be and settle it themselves. I try not to interfere with my dogs' behavior toward one another unless things became dangerous and pose serious health risks like a real fight.

As long as they both have plenty of toys available and are not in danger or seriously fighting I would let them be. Now if it were directed toward people then that is a different story.

My sibe is possessive about certain toys and chews, but fights never erupt because I never let things get that far. If snapping or growling occurs then I issue a vocal correction. If it persists after the vocal correction then I will issue another vocal correction and remove the item that was being guarded until they settle down before I reintroduce it. Another option is to issue a vocal correction and then redirect their attention onto you or something else. So if Sasha takes a toy and snaps at Scarlet for approaching you can give a vocal correction to Sasha and then invite Scarlet over to play with you...that will more than likely get Sasha interested in coming over to investigate and play with you too...thus taking their attention off the toy.

Even my chi girls can get possessive of a toy and it's usually harmless so I just let them be. They have their pack structure and I try not to intervene as much as possible.

I also did this when Sully lived with us.

Ginger tried to claim his rawhide by standing/sitting over it. When Sully approached Ginger or just walked passed her, she'd growl and snap. A vocal correction redirected both of them to me, and it passed. If it doesn't, and Ginger continued with a snarl even after the vocal correction, I gave another vocal correction, and then removed the rawhide.

Worked nicely, I must say...

Newborn
Newborn
tdanielle

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 am

Good to know its not just them . I just worry because Scarlet's obviously got some weight on Sasha, but I'll definately tell me fiance about the verbal commands and redirecting and implement them as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:51 am

Sounds like normal pack behavior. They just need to work it out for themselves with you keeping a watchful eye. you have already been given the same advice I'd give so..yeah. Haha
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Yep, same here with Mya being possessive over toys. Kody respects her though and backs off, but then figured out a way to steal it from her. He's faster than her..lol. It scares me b/c I don't want a fight to break out. Mya is a total diva, but like I said Kody respects her. He's only 7months so i'm hoping that doesn't change!

You just got Sasha...things will get better...trust me. It was craazy for the first 2 months we had kody (we got him at 12wks also). You should be very happy that they cuddle like that to sleep so soon....so cute!!!!!! Mya would not have allowed that!!!!
Back to top Go down
tdanielle
Newborn
Newborn
tdanielle

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Thats what I keep saying , since it's only been 2 days and Scarlets been used to being the only dog in the house. We try and keep all the toys out so they have their choice of toys but of course once one gets a certain the toy , the other one wants that one !
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:34 pm

I did the opposite and took all toys away...totally being paranoid..lol
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 pm

the first week we had zoey, embry was like this, we took away the toys for a week, and gave him a sharp no when he did growl or show his teeth at her when toys were around. neither one of them do it anymore, and if it does happen, it's over a bone
Back to top Go down
tdanielle
Newborn
Newborn
tdanielle

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 1:06 pm

MelissaI wrote:
I did the opposite and took all toys away...totally being paranoid..lol

Haha well thats what we did originally but I kept thinking we can't just not let them have any toys , its not fair ! And we're trying to give Scarlet the same amount if not alittle more attention so she doesn't feel abandoned.
Back to top Go down
SiberianHuskySibhee
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-04

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy EmptySat May 07, 2011 4:29 am

I think you may have to buy them both separate toys. I like to have another dog but I think I would be crazy if I have another dog in the house. If only there are no problems in acquiring two dogs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Possessive Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possessive Puppy   Possessive Puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Possessive Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1