It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Female Join date : 2016-09-29

husky - Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky... Empty
PostSubject: Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky...   husky - Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky... EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 1:02 pm

So i got a FB message from Fin’s breeder informing me that somewhere down the line, her moms AKC papers were forged and she is mixed with German Shepherd and Alaskan malamute, making Finley and her one brother mixed as well. Her brothers owner was the one who initially discovered it because she got all of her dogs embark tested. She contacted me yesterday to see if the breeder had let me know, and she told me she asked for a 50% refund and the breeder didn’t hesitate to give it. I didn’t even think about this when I found out but now I’m wondering if i should also ask for a refund? It seems somewhat petty but at the same time is kind of a crappy situation considering i paid a decent sum for my dog believing she was 100% husky. I absolutely adore my dog and this doesn’t change that, I’m just not sure about the situation or what to do!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky...   husky - Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky... EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 1:21 pm

You could probably ask for a refund but as you said, it'd seems kinda petty.  If the breeder had known she was selling you a mixed breed dog then I'd definitely be making a "big hoorah" - but since there was no apparent intent on the breeders part and you "absolutely adore my dog and this doesn’t change that" I'd let it go with "mistakes happen"  

If you were intending on showing Fin or possibly breeding her then the situation would be considerably different - but you bought a pet.  Enjoy her and 'don't sweat the small stuff.'

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Female Join date : 2016-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky...   husky - Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky... EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 1:25 pm

That’s exactly what i thought when i first found out because it seems as though the breeder was lied to about the mom. I would feel bad after telling her i understood that i want money back, but the other woman seemed like she was really angry about it. I wasn’t sure if i should be angry too haha
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky...   husky - Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky... EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 1:52 pm

My view on that: If you believe the breeder didn't know then it's a no brainer - 'Mistakes happen.' (now, the breeder might have a real complaint against the person who lied to her!)

On the other hand, if you think the breeder knew and then lied to you then I'd say that you have a good reason to be upset (but Fin is your dog and getting irate can always cause the breeder to say "I'll give you a refund but the dog is mine!" Probably not what you want to happen ... check the papers that came with the dog. Some breeders require that any dog be returned to them if you don't want it.)

I'll get angry if I think someone has lied to me or cheated me intentionally. If it's not intentional then my response tends to be more of "Well, it looks like we both got had!"

Some people will get angry at the drop of a hat! (That's their problem) Some of us don't ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky...   husky - Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky... EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 2:04 pm

I wonder if this is the same breeder I read about in an Embark group recently. The puppy (now a dog) was Embark tested, just for fun, and the dog did not come back pure sibe. The breeder came on to defend herself, which was, hey I was lied to as well. I have a handful of breeder friends, and they all say that when a different breed has been introduced some 4-5 generations or more it may not show up on these tests, dna tests can only go 3-4 generations. The breeder has since rehommed her male and will be spaying the female, since she now knows the female is not pure. Which brings my AKC point that I have made for years, which is, AKC papers do not mean much anymore, and that newer breeders can be lied to as much as buyers. There's no way AKC can regulate this. And for the sake of the breeder, her breeder may not have known the issue, if for instance they had a malamute and or gsd male on premise that was intact, may have gotten to the female, and no one was aware. That is stretching a bit, but it could happen. The only thing with that is, GSD genes, no matter how small of an amount of gsd tends to show up in mixed dogs. I have seen as little as 10% gsd and still the gsd coat will override any other breed, even if the other breed was like 50%.

I imagine this will ruin the breeder, again, I believe she is a newer breeder, I think I would just leave it be and enjoy your pup. They actually make for some very nice huskies Smile My girl is about 75-85% mixed with those three breeds, and the biggest difference between my Miya and a pure husky is she is pretty good off leash, the gsd shines in that respect. Smile Finley is gorgeous and for intents and purposes saying she is a husky (which for those in the know, refer to mixes of sibes huskies or alaskan huskies) and can add husky mix if you do get asked. I have a friend who is a Siberian Husky breeder and she calls hers Sibes, and when I said husky one day she did in fact correct me, and said a pure Siberian can be called a Sibe, but when saying just Husky it means a mix. So there ya go. Smile Again Fin is lovely and I would just enjoy your pup and enjoy your future adventures together.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky...   husky - Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky... Empty

Back to top Go down

Just found out my dog isn’t full Siberian husky...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1