It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jenng
Newborn
Newborn

weight - Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!? Empty
PostSubject: Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!?   weight - Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi guys,
I've had my puppy for 2 1/2 weeks now and he's been great! Lately he has not been eating or gaining weight. Since his 3rd day I transitioned him over to Acana from Taste of The Wild which the breeder had been feeding him. For the first two weeks he ate the Acana fine, but now for the last 3 or so days he has not been eating it well. He would only eat half of each meal, and thats when I would move the plate in front of him every time. He would always walk up to the bowl sniff it and walk away, which leaves me having to pick him up and put him in front of the food. He also wouldn't eat a single kibble when given as a treat. Drinks water fine.

I have not been overfeeding him aswell, but he doesn't even come close to the recommended feeding that way he is eating now. I know most of you say since he is a husky he doesn't each much, but this is ridiculous. He is also not gaining weight at a healthy rate but remained the same the past week. He is only 12 weeks.

What do you guys think the problem is? Does he not like the Acana and I should switch him over to TOTW? Thought Acana was supposed to be the pinnacle of dog foods?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!?   weight - Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 4:16 pm

While a trip to a vet might be advised to rule out any medical issues, if it were me, I'd try some canned food to see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!?   weight - Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 5:16 pm

I would be careful adding toppers to entice. You can create a picky eater that way and then he won't eat anything but the expensive topper. You might try adding a little water to the food and see if it will make its own gravy. As long as he isn't losing weight that is the main thing. Acana is a great food, but TOTW is a good food also so if you have to swap back it shouldn't be a big deal. May not hurt to do a round of wormer. Check to make sure poops are coming out looking good.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!?   weight - Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 pm

I switched my dogs food to Acana awhile back and one thing I definitely noticed is that it takes much less food to make them full. Acana is a meat based protein food whereas I believe (I could be wrong though) TOTW has meat in it but primarily gets its protein from plants. I believe the difference is our dogs absorb more from meat based protein foods whereas plant based protein foods allow more to pass right thru them. I could be wrong, and I'm positive someone will correct me if I am so hang tight for that. Recently, I changed my females food back to the plant based protein food she was on before Acana to see if that would correct some digestive issues she's been having (not from the Acana, she's been having on and off issues with her digestion for going on 2 years now, Acana was started to see if it would help but it really didn't do much for her, but I feel it's a better quality food so my male still gets it) and I noticed she is ALWAYS hungry, her stools are much larger and she seems to go one time more often, poop, per day.
Back to top Go down
IamtheAlpha
Puppy
Puppy
IamtheAlpha

Female Join date : 2017-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!?   weight - Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!? EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 2:38 pm

My girl is a grazer. There are times that she doesn't eat for a full day, or only eats 1/4 cup a day. She is on TOTW lamb flavor. I use to think it was the food and we would switch it up a few times. The initial stage she would eat a lot and then all of a sudden she was back in being lazy to eat. Now, I just leave her alone and leave the food out until she eats. If she is hungry she will eat.

Keep in mind, my girl is about 40lbs and is almost 3 years old. Her recommended food about is at least 2 cups a day. I think she was always like this when we adopted her. Although, she eats a lot more when she gets her exercise when she stays with her cousin.

Hope it changes for him especially for a puppy.
Back to top Go down
Jenng
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!?   weight - Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!? EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks for replies guys!
So last night for his last meal I placed the Acana food and he ate less than half, so I had some remaining Tase Of The Wild left and gave it to him....Man he finished it fast, and was licking the bowl for more. I thought it was a coincidence so I tried it again this morning and same thing happened?

Why does he like TOTW even though it’s not as great as Acana? I mean this is what he ate from the breeder, up until 9 weeks.

I forgot to mention that while eating Acana a couple days ago, before he got to finish, he threw up right after. What could have caused this?

Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!?   weight - Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!? Empty

Back to top Go down

Help,puppy not eating or gaining weight?!?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1