It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Off leash husky training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FuneralThirsty
Newborn
Newborn

training - Off leash husky training Empty
PostSubject: Off leash husky training   training - Off leash husky training EmptyWed Nov 21, 2018 9:24 pm

I’ve read so far many people asking this question but not with the same circumstances that I’ve got. I live out in the country down a very low traffic road. No nearby neighbors. And 85 acres to play on behind the house. My house is a decent ways from the road. I have an already off leash trained German Shepherd. I have a big dog pen I keep her in when I’m gone. Can I trust that if I get a husky he/she can be trained relatively easy to not roam/runaway????? Will it be easier with my circumstances???

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Off leash husky training   training - Off leash husky training EmptyWed Nov 21, 2018 9:34 pm

Well. let's do it this way.  I live in the middle of nowhere - outside Big Bend Park in Texas.  I'm living on a 10 acre plot but am surrounded by nothing - the section between me and the road (to the west) has two houses on it, one lived in; the section to the east has three houses, two lived in; north - empty; south - empty.  So the dog that I brought down here had well over 2500 acres over which to run.  

I had friends bring her home from 8 miles down one road - well, okay, you get the idea.

My line for her is - She was a great dog and had to be the exception to the Husky rule.  She came home every time I called until one time she didn't.  How many times have I kicked myself for letting her have her freedom?  I can't count them ...

With a Husky I guess it's safe to say that if you let them run, you have to accept that you're potentially putting her life at risk ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
FuneralThirsty
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Off leash husky training   training - Off leash husky training EmptyThu Nov 22, 2018 12:38 am

That reply was very powerful aljones. I am soo sorry for your loss. My current German Shepherd would kill me inside if I lost her like that. I cannot express how much that reply meant to me. But thank you. I just wanna make sure I can safely take care of my animals. I would love to have a beautiful husky. But if there is the slightest chance I could experience a heartbreak like that, I may pass. Thank you for your reply once again.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Off leash husky training   training - Off leash husky training EmptySat Nov 24, 2018 10:33 pm

We have 30 acres. Put invisible fence around 4-5 acres. They have a doggie doorbell come and go as they please. When we grub the back 25, I use an ecollar. When we're not home, crated.
Back to top Go down
Tl6
Newborn
Newborn
Tl6

Male Join date : 2018-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Off leash husky training   training - Off leash husky training EmptyTue May 14, 2019 2:44 pm

amymeme wrote:
We have 30 acres.   Put invisible fence around 4-5 acres. They have a doggie doorbell  come and go as they please.  When we grub  the back 25, I use an ecollar.  When we're not home, crated.

what kind of ecollar do you use? I just had an escape scare today.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Off leash husky training   training - Off leash husky training EmptyTue May 14, 2019 9:20 pm

I used to let squirt and shadow my German shepherd run when i was out on the prairie/open range Someone said they saw them in jaroso which was 10 miles away and in new Mexico. Then i got a call from the blm that they were in the national monument stealing food off grills (almost 20 miles away). Then they pulled 2 cows down that i had to pay for and ended up on very long cables. I discovered it didnt matter which one was on the cable that if they couldnt go off together they stayed put. Even now its a little more populated where i live but still open range and no fence/leash laws. I can get away with squirt being offleash at home and in a very focused setting like hunting but spider is a different story but super easy to catch when she gets out because she gets scared which turns into being sidetracked and i can grab the leash then. Current scary thing to investigate is the lawnmower, which isnt new its just in a new spot amd also showed spider was not trustworthy to run from the truck to the door
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Off leash husky training   training - Off leash husky training EmptyWed May 15, 2019 11:30 am

Tl6 wrote:
amymeme wrote:
We have 30 acres.   Put invisible fence around 4-5 acres. They have a doggie doorbell  come and go as they please.  When we grub  the back 25, I use an ecollar.  When we're not home, crated.

what kind of ecollar do you use? I just had an escape scare today.

Mini educator (2 dog)

https://www.ecollar.com/

For training hints, if you are not going to use a trainer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OfElO8kg_k
Back to top Go down
mjt5055
Newborn
Newborn
mjt5055

Male Join date : 2017-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Off leash husky training   training - Off leash husky training EmptyThu Oct 10, 2019 12:58 pm

I also use a mini educator and cannot say enough good things about it. I can have Tali off leash in just about any circumstance but I will not let her off leash without her ecollar on and never unsupervised.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off leash husky training   training - Off leash husky training Empty

Back to top Go down

Off leash husky training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1