It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

leash - Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar   leash - Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar EmptyThu Jan 31, 2019 11:45 am

I bought the Educator 1000 months ago and have yet to put it on him. We love taking Lachlan in the backcountry and letting him run free. Such a joy as you can see in my avatar. His recall is great unless he has something more interesting to do and see. My plan was to get through a training course that included recall training and then introduce the e-collar as another way to communicate over longer distances.

This winter we got snow shoes so we could take him off trail and have less chance of running into other people and especially other dogs. Whereas he used to mostly stay in sight, his disappearances seem to be getting longer and longer. On the last hike we got really scared. If he runs back to the parking lot, he would wreak havoc. If we lose him in the woods my wife would have to be institutionalized.

So if we give up on letting him off-leash in non-fenced situations, is there any point to introducing the e-collar?

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar   leash - Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar EmptyThu Jan 31, 2019 11:59 am

Absolutely. The ecollar, properly trained, will allow off-leash use. I've stopped Ami in full prey drive sprinting after deer, grouse, etc. As long as A: its turned on and B: I push the right button (I have a 2 dog system) but those are rapidly fixed. No way would I take my guys off leash without ecollar.
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar   leash - Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar EmptyThu Jan 31, 2019 1:10 pm

I have yet to see a dog with perfect recall... or perfect anything, for that matter, without the ability to correct the dog. I can definitely see the appeal of having an off-leash dog in the back country though.

I think, in this case, an ecollar (and appropriate training) is exactly what you need. A feature I would love to have would be a geofence option where you can specify how far the dog can go away from you.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar   leash - Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar EmptyThu Jan 31, 2019 2:07 pm

dvflyer wrote:
I have yet to see a dog with perfect recall... or perfect anything, for that matter, without the ability to correct the dog.  I can definitely see the appeal of having an off-leash dog in the back country though.

I think, in this case, an ecollar (and appropriate training) is exactly what you need.  A feature I would love to have would be a geofence option where you can specify how far the dog can go away from you.

Dogtra is almost to this. Right now they have a collar that allows you to build a geofence and will alert you when your dog leaves it. The collar has a built in shock but you have to manually hit it. It doesn't autobite when they leave the boundary yet. I suspect it won't be long though until this becomes a feature on it. There are many tools out there that are similar in the gun dog world. You don't hear much about them outside the gun dog world though because they are expensive and only people professionally utilizing their dogs for work tend to spend that kind of money. Frankly though, a dog should not be outside your sight. Allowing a dog to travel outside your sight is allowing them to get into, or meet, many unsavory things without you being able to intervene in a timely manner. Best to not worry about setting a certain travel distance and just use a normal Ecollar and bring them back if they are traveling out of sight. Much easier to adjust for terrain that way.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar   leash - Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar EmptyThu Jan 31, 2019 3:29 pm

What Jenn said - even with ecollar, I keep the dogs within sight. If they start to go over a hill or behind thick vegetation, I call them back. Most of the time, now, they just stay within a 100' radius of me. They really like sniffing, pawing and studying stuff on the ground rather than galloping off...
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar   leash - Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar EmptyThu Jan 31, 2019 9:16 pm

Agree on all points, Jenn. An extended family member just went through quite a bit of training with his hunting dog. He and I discussed various points regarding ecollars and the training methods he used with his dog (forced fetch had me scratching my head, but I guess it's a thing).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar   leash - Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking about giving up on off-leash and the e-collar

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1