It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Judges
Newborn
Newborn
Judges

husky - Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky Empty
PostSubject: Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky   husky - Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi everyone, I have a husky whose name is Judges. He is a pure Siberian Husky and he is 4 months old. It's my first husky i got. I already have a havenese (male, 5 months old) and a westie poo (female, 1 year). The husky and havanese are best of friends but the westie doesn't seem to like the husky. I think it's his size. He longs for her to like him but to no avail. Maybe she will warm up to him later in life. Lol.

When I got Judges he was 8 weeks old and on the first day, as I came home with him he pooped in a magnitude amount and it was soft. That continued and I realized that he also ate his poop. I did some research on the internet and saw that pumpkin in their food is a turn off so I tried that but he still continued. I also tried the nasty habit tabs...

I became concerned because I also realized that he was always famished and ate aggressively and quickly and refused absolutely nothing. I bought him a slow eating bowl but he has learned the patterns and licks up the food in no time. Btw....i noticed he doesn't chew his food just swallows. He would eat his food and go after the other two dog bowls as well. It would be a tug of war to pull the bowls away.  I saw how often and how much he pooped at every potty time. He came having his first shot already and was due for his second so I took him to the vet. He got his second shot and they asked me to take a stool sample first thing in the morning which I did for them to test. The results showed that he had an excessive amount if bacteria  in his stool which could be from eating his stool. He was put on sulfatrim 2.8ml for 7days, twice a day. His stool was hardened and lessened but when he stopped it seems to be hard some times and soft other times

My questions are:
1. What can I do to stop him from eating his stool. I stalk him day and night. I get up at night and let him out the room into the area of the house prepared for them to bathroom so he can poop and I pick it up immediately.

2.  I have a friend who has one of his brothers. Because my pup was the biggest at the beginning and now his brother is bigger and taller and fluffier than he is I am concerned that he is stunted. I'm not sure. Dont know if his constant hunger is linked to a deficiency that is causing him to eat his stool etc.

Has anyone had a situation similar too mine and can advise me accordingly, please?

I have attached two pics of Judges. I love him just the way he is. Just want to make sure he is healthy https://i.servimg.com/u/f36/20/18/92/31/20200311.jpg[/img][/url]

husky - Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky 20200311
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky   husky - Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Welcome to the forum! What a cutie! Pica can be hard to work with. You have to find the underlying issue. It can be psychological where it's a habit formed due to boredom, stress, or trauma. It can also be medical from dietary deficiencies, IBS, or diabetes. If you are battling loose stools and he isn't keeping pace in growth with his siblings then I would turn to diet since you said he cleared for parasites. It might be worth a blood test if you haven't already to see if you can spot a specific deficiency. You can look into puzzle toys to feed with if the slow feeder isn't slowing him down enough. Up your mental stimulation through training and continue to be on top of him and removing the poop as fast as possible from his area. What are you currently feeding and how much?

Newborn
Newborn
Judges

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky   husky - Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky EmptyThu Apr 02, 2020 5:29 pm

Hi Twisterll

Thanks for your response and warm welcome. He was on proplan lamb and rice as it was recommended by the breeder. He came eating his poop. He plays constantly with the havanese his best friend and they are constantly running and jumping and diving. He knows to sit but I have to continue with the training and I'm learning how to train ad I've never done it before.
I changed from proplan because I found i thought maybe the grain was not agreeing with him so I got a grain free chow named Pureluxe...lamb and rice flavour. Their recommendation is 1 cup a day or based on the dog's need and size. He is fed 3 times a day so I increased his feed amount to 1 3/4 cups approximately advised by the vet. I live in the Caribbean where the temperature is warm but he is most times in the ac unless playing outside or in the kitchen and living room with the havanese during the day. He is very spritely and spirited.

My intention is to have him tested. He will be 4 months on 5th April and his present weight is 30lbs (13.2kg). My vet told me that I should not compare the dog with its siblings as each dog is different just as in the case of brothers and sisters in humans.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky   husky - Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky EmptyFri Apr 03, 2020 10:48 am

30 pounds at 4 months is on par with many other huskies. We have a thread put together by a member that compiles the weights by age of some of our member huskies. You can look through it for some comparison of other pups.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t16813-weight-charts-updated-02-24-17?highlight=weight

That looks like a pretty good food from me looking it up. This is an all life stages food, not a puppy specific food, which is fine, but you should calculate food amounts for the expected adult weight of your dog, not the current weight of your puppy. So 1 3/4 cups of food isn't enough. You would want to step up to nearly 2.5-3 cups of food broken up through the day because your dog will likely be over 50 pounds at his adult weight. If you have met the parents of the dog figure that your pup should ultimately weigh around what the parents weigh. So if they weigh 60 pounds then you need to calculate your food for a dog that will grow to around 60 pounds. If you look around at past threads here of puppy owners you will see that most of us work our puppies up to 3 cups then dial back down to around 2 cups a day when they hit adulthood around 1 year old.

I personally haven't had good luck with lamb so if stools are soft you may try one of their other flavors and see if that makes a difference if you haven't already.

Newborn
Newborn
Judges

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky   husky - Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky EmptyFri Apr 03, 2020 11:57 pm

Thank you sooo much Twisterll for your help and knowledge. I will try another flavour of food , maybe salmon and also step up his amount. His parents are big dogs, yes.

Maybe I've been under feeding him and that could be one of the reasons why he seems always hungry. But I was reading online once that they said the patterns of your dog pooping firm at first after eating then soft stool thereafter could be due to over feeding them. So I didnt want to. But I'll noticed that his stool is getting firmer (not harder) and has been for a while now which is a good sign.

Will check out the article you suggested as well. Thanks a mill.
Back to top Go down
erikkj2001
Newborn
Newborn
erikkj2001

Male Join date : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky   husky - Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky EmptyWed May 06, 2020 11:57 am

You will find that Huskies often have very very sensitive digestive systems. When Kino, my late husky, was a puppy we struggled trying to find a food that he was ok with and eventually landed of Taste of the Wild. That was good for a few years and we eventually had to switch him off of that an went to Blue Buffalo Wilderness. As he grows two things should happen, Your little pack will fall into their roles, so I wouldn't worry to much about the Westie, and Judges digestive system should start to normalize. Twisterll seems to be spot on about underfeeding. Huskies eat a lot when they are puppies and can have strange eating habits their whole lives especially if you don't run them enough. Kino would go for a day or 2 randomly not eating and then it was back to normal. Every vet I took him to simply replied with "Its a Husky thing".
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky   husky - Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky EmptyWed May 06, 2020 6:40 pm

Spider has pika issues but both the girls will randomly not eat sometimes. I was told it was a northern breed issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky   husky - Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie to this site and to having a Siberian Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1