It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I need help understanding my husky.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KibaTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn
KibaTheWolf

Male Join date : 2011-08-26

I need help understanding my husky. Empty
PostSubject: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyThu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 am

I have had Kiba for over 11 years now I believe. He has always been a normal husky for those 10 years. Sometimes escaping and running across the road and such things. Recently his behavior has changed completely. He now pulls outlets out of the wall. Destroying door frames. Chewing on door handles. We have had him in the same room for 3 years since I moved to my new home. It’s the laundry room. We figured it’s a bigger space and it would be great for him. When we tried to let him roam the house he used to just climb up to sleep on the couch. Now he pees on it. Even though we let him out religiously. So we had to keep him in the room mainly when we sleep or leave the house. He has now ripped my door frame. Chewed on the buttons on the washer dryer. Pulled outlets out of the wall(I’m worried he will shock himself to death). Poops all in the room and just goes insane once in the room. I attempted to exercise him more than I normally do But it does nothing to stop him. I tried giving him different things to chew on but that doesn’t help him either. I don’t know what’s going on with him. Has anyone been through this? I would like to add in that my son was born a year ago and he was fine until 6 months ago and suddenly this keeps happening. The reason I’m asking for advice is because I don’t want to get rid of him because he’s been in the family for so long. I just need advice that could help stop this destructive behavior. He had separation anxiety as a pup for 2 days . Thats all. I would also like to address that when I take him for a run he starts dragging behind the last half of our run and right after sleeps.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyThu Jun 18, 2020 4:43 am

How long have you been in your new home? Maybe it’s a combination of new baby new house and he just needs to get used to a new routine? And maybe as now he’s a bit older take him on more frequent walks but less distance,
Also if he had free roam over the old house and now he just has roam over one room might feel a bit strange to him, also your attention maybe more on your baby when you do let him out and he’s way of getting attention is to pee and chew things?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyThu Jun 18, 2020 12:46 pm

What goes on in the neighborhood during the day while you are gone is what I would be asking. Many of my dogs as they get older have anxiety to certain sounds. Bangs from construction, shooting, people wandering around often that he can see or hear, the sound of storms coming in, or even a neighbor who has taken up forging and has a fire lit that he can smell. It sounds like an anxiety reflex. Just have to figure out what that anxiety is.

Newborn
Newborn
KibaTheWolf

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2020 10:53 am

We been at the house for 3 years. My son was born a year and a half ago. This started 6 months ago. My wife says he freaks out from sounds the dryer makes. But the dryer is off. Supposedly it clicks randomly. I’m assuming that it’s the anxiety from the dryer sounds?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2020 1:09 pm

I'm going to hazard an completely unsupported idea. I agree it sounds like anxiety, but it also sounds like a major case of boredom. I'm going to suggest that it's time for retraining - both of dog and owner.

You've had him for 11 years of those 10 have been good - well, okay, let's read normal - but during that time you've moved into a new house, had a child and, if I'm reading this right, limited his access to 'his family' more and more because 'he's misbehaving'. I'm also going to suggest that since your son is reaching crawling / standing age that you're limiting Kiba's access to him so he doesn't knock him over or otherwise hurt him. You've moved into a new home and, of course, don't want Kiba to be making a mess on the living room carpet or have his nails gouge that beautiful wood flooring. You have some very realistic concerns but more and more isolation to solve those problems isn't going to work - if anything the isolation will simply exacerbate the situation.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
KibaTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn
KibaTheWolf

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2020 1:18 pm

No, he’s out with the family all day especially if we are at home. When he’s out with us he goes near the kitchen lays down and just sleeps or is lazy. We are on the couch watching tv and such. My son feeds him obviously because my son throws food everywhere. On top of that we have been on longer runs than I normally have ever been on. Since I’ve started running higher miles per day. On top of that we have tile in our house. I don’t mind if he has an accident on the floor. But he is choosing to pee on the couch and after I let him out for 20-30 minutes to pee. If I let him outside for that long he uses the bathroom then goes and lays out in the grass. If he escapes he is gone for a day or two before we find him. He’s not in isolation either he’s with his jack russel sister most of the day cause she doesn’t like being away from him. We don’t restrict where he goes. He has a room he is in only at night to sleep in so he doesn’t pee on the couch. It’s an every time I leave him out at night he pees on the couch. Even before my son he has liked to relax in certain areas even when we are home. He slept in the same room prior.
Back to top Go down
KibaTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn
KibaTheWolf

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2020 1:23 pm

On top of which we added the jack russel to the room with him even though she has issues urinating when out of her own kennel. And since covid started we have been home a lot more
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2020 6:03 pm

This is similar to my issues with squirt right now. All of the sudden she became unhousetrained and basically in one spot.

All i can say is natures miracle is amazing.
Back to top Go down
KibaTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn
KibaTheWolf

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyFri Jun 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Yea it’s just crazy to me. I’ve was house trained and rarely ever had accidents in the house to in 6 months absolutely destructive and nothing to help him.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptySat Jun 20, 2020 2:54 pm

@twisterII - you can ding me for this is you want ...

@kibathewolf I don't understand why you asked your question here since you obviously have very set ideas of what it is or isn't.  
It's not boredom, my suggestion; it's not the new house or the new baby, @liv_Skye; you didn't answer @TwisterII question about possible things going on outside the house.  
An 11 year old dog doesn't "just change" without some reason - one that you obviously don't see or you wouldn't have asked.  Your dog, I'd say, is desperately trying to tell you he's bored - which is the cause of destructive behaviour in the great majority of cases.  I have three Huskies and let me tell you that if *I* don't give each of them the attention they desire during the day, it won't be many days before I have a dog fight on my hands - Huskies may be friends with other dogs, but it's the humans that really make up their pack.

Huskies are typically very good with children - from babies on up - it's possible that he wants to interact with all of you, ( you simply say that he's out with "the family" ) my bet is that after an initial "Oh, who's this" Kiba would willingly become either a pillow or blanket for your son. (( Remember they were trained to be the heat source for the kids in the frigid lands from which they came )) but you don't say how he interacts with your one year old --- if he does.
(Short story, I have an older dog who was VERY food possessive, I was over visiting a friend at the crisis center where he worked when a fellow and his little girl - say 3ish - came in.  The little girl yelled "Wolf" and ran over and grabbed Sasha around her neck before I could do anything.  Sasha didn't even look at me but turned around and gave the little girl a great big slurp!  They are generally surprisingly attentive to the kids ...)

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptySat Jun 20, 2020 3:42 pm

I agree with @aljones, huskies are pretty stable dogs and don’t just change,
Try going on family walks instead of just you and him running, put your baby in a pram and you and your partner go for a walk together!
Also try and think what’s changed on he’s routine that wasn’t there before?
Huskies LOVE kids! My two don’t leave me a inch where ever I go they follow me from room to room, dog walks they won’t leave my side but as soon as my nieces and nephews come round I’m out the window!! They will play with them for hours on the trampoline padding pool, if they are on the swings the will sit and watch them and when they are tired and fall asleep on the sofa/bed they are right there with them!!

Also have you took him to the vets maybe it might be medical??
Back to top Go down
KibaTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn
KibaTheWolf

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 2:57 am

@alijones- I walk with him in the morning and run with him in the afternoon. When he’s out with the family we also go on walks with my son, my wife and myself. But when we are inside as we watch movies he does not come towards the family. Our kitchen and living room are connected with a bar area. He prefers to be in the kitchen in a corner. When he wants loving he always walks up and looks at me and I pet him and hug him and kiss on him until he is bored or has had enough then leaves. Sits in his corner in the kitchen again. The reason I asked is because within 6 months (my son was born in at the end of 2018) he started going crazy while in the room we put him in before we leave if both me and my wife works. He has been in this room since we moved here almost 4 years ago. No issues. So we assumed maybe he’s afraid of the dryer. Recently we sat in with him in his room after the dryer has been off for some time. During his frantic episode in the middle of the night we sat in with him to comfort him. A the dryer clicked and he flipped out. Now when I originally asked the question we did not sit in the room. When @twisterII said is there a sound or something going on that starts it. I assume that was what he’s freaking out about since it’s a sound. But the dryer has always made that sound so I’m assuming somehow in his age he associates the sound to something. He also has bella a jack russel that loves playing with him. He plays with her then sits in his corner. My son will try to play with him to which he doesn’t care for him to play with him. My son as I watch doesn’t pull on his ears or anything he likes touching Kibas fur. On top of all that we bought a whole ton of toys for kiba if all that isn’t enough. The shooting that happens a lot in my neighborhood from the next neighborhood over not in my immediate area since I live in a HOA neighborhood we can’t shoot but the people who don’t live in our neighborhood but next neighborhood over is allowed to shoot. But it didn’t bother him for almost 4 years. Children riding bikes and stuff didn’t bother him for 4 years. People cutting their lawns didn’t bother him for 4 years. The only sound that I have seen bother him was fireworks and just recently after posting my original the sound of a click in the dryer. Not the dryer being on or the washer just the click. It sounds like the locking mechanism in the washer but it’s a sound the dryer makes. We take him out to our pool to be with the family he sits under a chair and just chills out. I let him outside while i supervise so he doesn’t escape he goes and lays next to the fence.
I just bought a dog crate and am attempting to move him out of that room and into another room. Since he can’t be trusted out and about all around the house cause he pees on the couch. He’s always had a room he was in even in my old house. In the laundry room. No issues. If you need to know anymore you can ask. No construction is going on in my neighborhood either. He has never had issues of us being gone for work before either as long as we let him out before and after work. @liv_skye
They say he’s perfectly healthy.
Back to top Go down
KibaTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn
KibaTheWolf

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 3:11 am

@aljones to Answer your question directly. The reason why I asked is because of the change of behavior. Now I read what you said originally and what others have said and ran through all scenarios I can think of that you guys are talking about and there was no negative feedback from him at all. But for some reason at random times he would flip. I have noticed on two times since asking my original question that the dryer makes a clicking noise some time after drying the clothes(clothes drying we tend to not have him in the room when it goes But seldom we do dry with him in the room
) and that’s when he starts panting. Becomes restless and starts tearing things even while we are in the room. And therefore just came to the conclusion that might be it. With the knowledge from twister saying it may be a sound. Now I just need to find out what makes him pee on the couch even though I let him out several times throughout the day. Try to do it as often as I possibly can.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 5:50 am

I know this sounds strange but is you dryer one of those that has a vent that needs to go outside? My sister had a problem with her pug every time she put the dryer on she would panic and start barking peeing but it turned out that the vent that needs to go out side got disconnected from the wall and the fumes where staying inside, once the vent was fixed the pug was okay again.
Back to top Go down
KibaTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn
KibaTheWolf

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am

The vent goes into the wall up and outside. He moved the dryer during one of his fits and tore the vent. I bought a new one and he tore it. I replaced it again. He also ripped this outlet out of the wall which the dryer is connected to and that’s where I was worried he will get shocked and killed from that. I bought a crate for him hopefully this crate he won’t be able to destroy and I put him in another room. Crate got in yesterday so we will see how it pans out.
Back to top Go down
KibaTheWolf
Newborn
Newborn
KibaTheWolf

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 8:26 am

@aljones @liv_skye @twisterII @lostmaniac so it’s been roughly a week and no issues now. I switched him to a dog crate and put him in another room. He hasn’t even attempted to destroy the crate. I got the crate XL. Will keep you all updated if anything changes. It was an every other day thing but it’s been a week no issues
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 6:26 pm

Tbats awesome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need help understanding my husky.   I need help understanding my husky. Empty

Back to top Go down

I need help understanding my husky.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1