It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Beginner Gardener

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Beginner Gardener - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 11:32 am

I feel for you and your son dealing with your nieces. My husband has some family that have a similar delusion. coincidentally, they own nothing to ever worry about it being destroyed by people. If the shoe was on the other foot they would undoubtedly feel much different. I would probably flag their post of his conversation. That's harassment. You should be able to get it removed, but keep copies of their post and the entire post. If they are very malicious you would need it to prove intent on their part. Some people are just out of their minds. Youth have zero idea about consequences of their petulence. It's impossible to have a meaningful conversation with some folks right now.

The garden is doing it's thing here. Weeds getting a little nutty. Too hot to be out pulling them right now. It was 94 degrees yesterday with 70% humidity. Just nasty. Pumpkins growing like crazy. Spaghetti squash coming on along with cucumbers. Watermelons growing but still waiting on actual melons. Was running behind getting those in. Need to get my plastic down for my garden expansion. Need to finish putting the floor in my greenhouse.

Japanese Beetles have arrived. I kept watching my crepe myrtles for them, meanwhile they were apparently eating my grapes. My poor poor grapes.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 6:57 pm

Oh...poor grapes.

Thanks Jenn, I didn't know you could have something removed for harassment. Just tried. We'll see.

Hot here too. Not quite 94 but 88 is closer enough. Put a trap out for the woodchuck, well see. I found the spot he was getting in through. Chewed the bottom of my plastic fence. That fence was not meant for woodchucks! After I finish my planting, the boat in and the pool in order, I'll run a hot wire at 4". That should take care of him. I've only found the one entrance hole, suspect the other (s) in the the goldenrod. Wish there was an effective way of getting rid of goldenrod. Sigh.

So far, I have a watermelon the size of a tart cherry. A cucumber (or two) a little bigger than a hulled sunflower seed. Maybe an eggplant embryo or two. Two pink Brandywine tomatoes the size of an egg. I've already picked some small immature hot peppers. One I thought was a jalepeno but when I bit into it. Yowser. It was a hot one. It's a mix of hot peppers so I don't know what they are sometimes.

Oops. Writing this i realized I didn't water the cucumbers...

Bye
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

Female Join date : 2019-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 3:34 pm

So I've read a few mixed things on the internet so I'm coming to you guys. We're finally settled in the house and I can focus on trying things that might make me happy. 

I have 2 options for windowsills for my prospective herbs and things. They both are facing kind of WNW but one has a porch on it and doesn't receive much direct sunlight. That one is in the kitchen where I would prefer my herbs but the other is in the office next to it but no porch so it receives the afternoon sun. I'd prefer in the kitchen but if it's not gonna do well I can keep them in the office. My fiance can get over it! lol!

I'm also not sure which planter type I want to do. I'm looking at 2 different options. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AL0F20G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dASoFbHFKZWFN
This one has a hole at the bottom to drain and a tray so I don't think my windowsill. I'm not sure if this is the exact style but it's similar to what I'm looking for.

My other idea is Mason jars with rocks at the bottom for drainage. Any input is appreciated! 
Beginner Gardener - Page 2 8ff4bc10

I also only have 2 Mason jars so I'll have to start small if that's what I pick. My boss is gonna give me some clippings so I have a bit to decide once I get those. If there are any other ideas that someone has for a small indoor windowsill garden please let me know!!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 3:44 pm

No rock necessary for drainage. Water is going to be caught in the bottom of the jar with or without rocks and the roots will go where they want regardless. Putting something at the bottom of a pot only reduces how much potting soil you need to fill the container. Herbs are warm weather creatures and like good drainage so I would lean toward the actual pots for them rather than the jars so that they have good drainage and you can avoid root rot which they will be more susceptible to in jars. They will do better in full sun. They tend to get spindly if too covered.

Certain herbs do quite nicely in hydroponic systems. Depending on what kind of herbs you are going for and how much you use them hydroponics might be a good option.

Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Thanks Jenn! I'm for sure starting with mint because I know a lot of things I can do with it already. I need to look into what I can do with things like basil and thyme. 

Hydroponic is the just water right? So instead of moving the clippings from water after they've grown roots I just leave it and change the water regularly? Which herbs do well in that? I might be interested in it!

Also a long shot question. Are there any fruits or vegetables that do well on windowsills? It's been so busy I've slacked on my research for gardening!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 5:05 pm

It's fertilized water. Basil does well in it. Cilantro does well in hydroponics too. The mint should be fine. Most systems have them in little cups filled with rock wool that sit down in the water. You add fertilizer to the water every so often.

If you really want it in the window of the kitchen where there's less light hydroponic kits usually come with a light so the window you choose won't matter.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hydroponics-Growing-System-Support-Small-White/dp/B07R7VJP3S/ref=sr_1_7?crid=COODA9HTYLQW&dchild=1&keywords=windowsill+hydroponic+system&qid=1597694378&sprefix=windowsill+hy%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-7

Radishes and lettuce will do fine on a window. Spinach, green onions, and micro greens. Things that don't get too tall or require a lot of space. Largely depends on the windowsill. You can do strawberries in fairly small pots. Now, if you have a large sliding glass door then your world opens up a bit more in the fruit department.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 6:00 pm

Windowsill wise i have basil cilantro and chives right now. I have my plants in what would seem large for 1 plant but i wonder if the extra room is why they dont die. I also have a windowsill pot plant but it wont stay there much longer. I plan on getting terragon seeds. And depending on height you may ne able to "dwarf" tomato plants. Same with peppers.

If you want to look at some weird grow techniques you could go sideways or sea of green method. Then there is aeroponics.
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 6:35 pm

That looks like a lot of fun to figure out! Sadly no sliding glass door but I do have plans for a full outdoor garden.

It's a decent sized windowsill. I'll take a picture when I get home. I may be too short to reach if anything gets too tall. It's decently wide though.
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Just found this picture from the proposal the other day. I think it was around 3pm so it gets a lot of light. Just not direct sunlight.

Beginner Gardener - Page 2 Fb_img46

Fresh tomatoes would not last very long with my family. My grandparents used to have a garden and that was one thing they could never grow enough of. We always wanted fresh tomatoes. Green and red.
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 12:50 pm

Well I've done it! I got an AeroGarden and it is up and running. Two types of basil, parsley, mint, thyme, and dill! I'm super excited! One of the basils is supposed to sprout in 4-7 days. Now all I need is recipes for them. I'm also a beginner cook so we'll see how that goes.

Beginner Gardener - Page 2 Snapch33
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 6:08 pm

Let me know what you think of the system. Looks neat.
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 6:44 pm

So far it's pretty cool. It has a timer to let you know when to add food and water, an adjustable light height, and an automated light timer with presets for things like herbs, flowers, and vegetables.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 8:51 am

I looked it up online. Looks really good other then i would be running alot more light than it has the ability. Right now im running a 50 watt grow light with supplemental sun for one pot plant and one cilantro. When my outside stuff comes back in im going back to the 1200 watt. Really the 600 watt soduim halide is enough but it puts out too much heat.

Ive always wanted to try hydroponics
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 10:20 am

There's a farm version that can handle 24 pods but it only has dual 60 watt lights. It also comes with free pod kits. So in other words you would just get more plants and light not just light.

Even though nothing has sprouted yet, it makes me want to build my own system and use this one to start them and then transplant them.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 1:12 pm

Yes it seems like a nice seed starter setup, most of the things i grow wouldn't fit fully grown in that type of setup. Ive been doing alot of experiments on basil with lights and temp and im on the 4th generation on almost 1 year old root systems. One plant i even started treating like a bonsai tree and training using wire.

This is only my second time growing marijuana. Jerry is very unhappy with it, he would rather i just buy it and grow something that doesnt take forever start to finish.

My berries are getting decimated by chipmunks Sad
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 2:59 pm

Yeah, it's not good for tall plants, but I wonder if you could modify it somehow. Like keep it attached to the system so it keeps the timers and such, but extend the light to handle the taller stuff?

I know nothing of marijuana, so I can't offer anything there. I don't remember though, isn't it to help him or you with something??

Oh no! That's one reason I'm glad I started with this system, it stays inside away from critters. We've seen a couple of rabbits on our walks with the dogs but nothing much really. We do have one hummingbird since we put the feeder out a couple weeks ago!

This whole house owning thing is turning out really fun! I can finally do projects and things I've always wanted to do.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 4:29 pm

Not the best of presentations since it's really only a recap of what they did but ... a friend of mine works with the fellow who supervised these students.  He (the friend) has sent me a group of pictures that sorta show what they did but I'd sure like a lot more detail.

Beginner Gardener - Page 2 36652410
Beginner Gardener - Page 2 36668710
Beginner Gardener - Page 2 36678010Beginner Gardener - Page 2 36678011
Beginner Gardener - Page 2 36730110

Well srvimg is having a fit with me trying to upload several pic at one time but this gives you an idea of what they're doing. Giving me some ideas, everything I've seen so far is an open water system which here in the desert is a no go - too much loss to evaporation. I like the looks of this one.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 5:15 pm

So most people here that do hydroponics do a draught/flood system. I have the same issue with an open system because its so dry.

So apparently the Israelis have mastered hydroponics in the desert.

So this is my current light hanging by a chain over what most people would consider the kitchen table or dining room. The timer on the light and here is the bonsai basil and cilantro and hash plant Beginner Gardener - Page 2 20200911
Beginner Gardener - Page 2 20200912
Beginner Gardener - Page 2 20200910
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 5:27 pm

So me and jerry both use the marijuana but he uses 1:1 thc:cbd oil and i use the mj for pain management because i wont touch opiates unless i really need them. I know it works on Jerry's seizures but im on the fence as to whether it actually works for pain or just makes me not think about being in pain. And i dont think its the harmless miracle drug most people think it is. Cbd has lots of drug interactions. But i dont have the lab and equipment to safely make concentrate and nothing explodes like making thc oil.

My last 3 pot plants i got annoyed with and gave away and this one im just growing because i felt like it. Next spring im gonna try to grow some outside in the ground. Crappy med dispensary has seedy weed and i have tons of seeds
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 5:41 pm

Lighting for indoor growing is complex since there are so many styles of lights and wattage to lumen equivalent is different by light. All mine are LED which are low watt but high output. You do not at any time put them closer than a foot to any plant or they will burn it to a crisp. But not all LEDs are that way. I keep mine on a timer too but that's mostly because I can't be near them any real amount of time without them giving me a headache. But I did have peppers growing in my basement in winter which was nice.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 5:48 pm

The soduim halide will give you a suntan. Needs to be about 3 feet above the plants. The new 50watt im just learning. Its red/blue led and the 1200 watt is full spectrum led. Now my tomatoes actually prefer the halide lights because it has a farther reach. I cant justify the 1200 light or handle the heat from the halide light for 2 plants. They also get sun in the morning and afternoon. Indoor lights are a huge learning curve
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 6:33 pm

I have little sprouts!! I think almost everything has sprouted but only 2 are big enough to take the cover thingy off. My Thai Basil actually sprouted before my Dill but the dill shot up.

Beginner Gardener - Page 2 Mvimg_15

Beginner Gardener - Page 2 Mvimg_14
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 am

Awesomeness
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 11:29 am

Sweet. Some stuff just takes longer to get going. Eggplants can be so slow.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Cilantro seems to not like me. That takes forever to sprout also.

Im in shock that all our snow didnt kill my strawberries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginner Gardener   Beginner Gardener - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Beginner Gardener

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2