It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Calling the vet on Monday

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 14, 2021 8:22 pm

amymeme wrote:
So, Al, at this point I'm wondering if you're gonna be safe? I'm past worrying about your comfort.
I'm fine, it's a bit on the chilly side but I'm fine.  But thanks for your concern.  (( Chilly = 17° this is definitely not funny, my cousin lives in Ogdensburg where it's 19 - there is something seriously wrong with this picture! ))

amymeme wrote:
And. Your vehicle? Antifreeze level?
The Jeep is fine too, I keep it at 50/50; 'cause it helps dissipate heat during the summer, it's an added advantage when the temp gets cool.

amymeme wrote:
Though you did live in up upstate NY so should have some remnants of how to live with significant cold...
Yeh, but when I lived in update NY where a -30 was all too common over the winter, I lived in a house that was built for it and I had clothes that let me go out and stay out - at least for a while and it wasn't unexpected.  The closest thing I have to a "good coat" is a flannel shirt and a lined windbreaker.

Right now it's snowing - again, we had flurries this morning that just blew around a bit.  It *this* keeps up for a couple of hours we'll have another 4-5 inches on the ground.  Talked to a friend who moved down here a year ago - has no water because he didn't think to leave a tap 'running.'  He's living in an almost brand new mobile home (as opposed to my "house trailer")  Has a large propane tank but doesn't use it to heat the trailer 'cause he doesn't have the electricity to run the fan on the <word?> inside house heating.

My poor genny's been running for most of the past 24 hours, let it set for about 5 hours during the brighter part of the day but we didn't get enough solar to charge batteries.  

Avalanche asked to go out, he hit the porch where there's snow and asked to come right back in.  We'll make it but I'm waiting for next weekend where it's supposed to be in the 70's

Sasha has a vet appointment tomorrow morning at 9:00 - don't think she's gonna make it. The road at "Big Hill" won't be passable until it thaws and I'm going to try it ...

(( And I thought I'd answered this once before but either I didn't hit "Send" or the snow fairy ate it. ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 14, 2021 10:47 pm

It was snowing in houston. This is like some weird group of storm systems. Do you atleast have heat and gas in the jeep if it gets too bad.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 11:05 am

Argh ... well *I* and the animals made it through the night.  But I lost the genny somewhere overnight so I have no water, gonna have to wait for it to thaw to see how much damage to the pipes.

It's 11 here and 20 in Ogdensburg ... this just isn't right!!!

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 12:05 pm

Seriously all of tx is having bad weather. Jerry's son is being mean to his kids and wont let them play in the snow. Its still snowing in houston. Texas just was declared state of emergency according to cbs.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 6:09 pm

Yep, Mr Abbott declared a state of emergency for the entire state. Seems really odd to me, weather that most people would take in stride is enough to declare a state of emergency in Texas - but we seldom get weather like this (( Thank the gods ))

I had to go into town to get gas for my genny and the Jeep. Played around a litlle on the snow covered dirt road as I went out. Then on my way back I had a car coming toward me as I was going up a hill and the Jeep lost traction, back end started going to the "curb", I corrected and kept on going, the van full of folks coming toward me almost lost it when he swung the steering wheel hard over to avoid my escapade and expletives. The difference, I knew what to do when the Jeep lost traction - let off the gas and easily turn in the direction the wheels are going; he didn't, his sharp turn almost put him in the ditch on the other side of the road.

Gonna have to go looking at the weather reports out of Houston, they're lucky that it's a federal holiday otherwise folks'd be out on the freeway going to and fro - make that mess in San Antonio<?> look like nothing!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Yep driving in snow is a specific skill. All our kids were taken to a huge parking lot after fresh snow and told...go at it. And the last one, he was sent to a street survival school sponsored by, I think, a BMW club and maybe tire rack? Up at the local race track.

As much as possible, we try not to have to drive in storms. Being retired, it's really not necessary unless an emergency. Though. In rather good at it I if I say so myself. Highlight of my parenting years, bring miss home from play practice in unexpected lake effect, thick wet snow on the road, right around 30-32° which is slippery as hell. We live at the top of the hills surrounding the lake so the only way home is up, one road or another. I was driving one of hubby's old Lincolns. I took the longer, wider, divided highway road, thankfully with no traffic. Damn Lincoln has iffy tires at best. Going up the hill, oy going up the hill🙄 rear wheel drive, back wheels started to go. I told the kids to shut up, not matter what they saw, stay quiet until we got to the top of the hill. And up the hill we went, controlled skid, 45° to the direction of travel. To stop would have been "we're done."

I later heard the teenager telling his friends how awesome his mom drifted the car up the hill 😝

Drifting. Never heard that term before.

As for you guys down on Texas. I feel for you. Rooming blackouts. Unheard of temperatures. Not a good situation.
But, Al, you need to get at least one set of expedition weight base layer pants and shirt (is oldies call it long underwear) and a decent warm jacket. The climate people have been saying that more and more extreme weather will become the norm. And as the poles warm, we will have more of these sudden dumps of Arctic air.

Hope your pipes that without issue.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 9:52 pm

The polar vortex is thankfully missing us, the clouds seem to be magnetically avoiding the valley. Seriously weird shit happens here just like in utah, but east of denver and eastern colorado had like record cold -30s.

Im quite good a drifting my truck up the hill but i have gone into a full spin on the 90 degree turn at the bottom. If i slow down too much i wont make it back up after the turn. Its impressive where i have taken my 2wd rwd truck.

For the most part i usually avoid driving in bad weather or the dark but that isnt always possible. Ive been waiting for 2 weeks to go to durango and i may have to do the drive on snow. I just dont like coming down the mountain pass on snow. Its a dangerous road even in the best weather. If the weather had behaved back in September i wouldnt have to go to durango at all. Kind of ironic.

@aljones I would recommend under armor arctic or cold gear. I order mine from kohls but you can also order it through the army/airforce exchange site and its discounted and the va canteen store (sorry i really cant remember what its actually called)also has it and usually has pretty good deals but selection is limited. Also if you use id.me to login to the va they have discount codes for tons of online retailers.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 10:25 pm

So. Who's up for watching "The Day After Tomorrow." 😝😝😝
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 10:33 pm

Lol. I just watched the beasts of the southern wildlands. Its about a sinking town in Louisiana. But its monday so snowpiercer nite and the good doctor.

Snowpiercer is just as fitting as the day after tomorrow. So we had an earthquake about 10 mins ago according to the emergency alert system. Didnt feel it, second one this year. Way way deep so wasnt felt at surface level. The super volcano needs to stay dormant.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 10:41 pm

@amymeme do you read vonnagut? I may have spelled it wrong.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 11:01 pm

Vonnegut. I think we read slaughterhouse 5, and maybe cats cradle way waaayyyy back when I was in college. Don't remember much from those days, unfortunately.

So I've found a way to give Ami his pills (2.5 doxycycline tablets) in a way and time that he takes them, there's no calcium, morning before his breakfast without disturbing Z'ev (who will howl, screech and yap if he figures out were up🙄) the only problem is it means me setting my alarm and getting up before I usually do, sitting with Ami in the living room for 30 minutes after he takes it. Which isn't that bad except the coffee makings are in the kitchen and the kitchen is next to the sunroom what Z'ev's crate is. So. No coffee for Mama until after the 30 minutes are up, both dogs are fed, collared and let outside. Not so terrible but not thrilled either. At least he's taking the pills smeared in Peanut butter. I smear a tiny bit of peanut butter on one hand and on the other hand I cover his pills with peanut butter ( total, maybe a quarter of a teaspoon.) First I let him lick the the hand with just the peanut butter. But it's so little he looks for more. So then I offer the hand with the pills and Peanut butter. Since it sticks to my hand, he really has to lick it which aids in sending the pills down his throat. And it's so sticky, he immediately takes a big drink of water, which is recommended. Yes! Success. Except for the lack of coffee part🙄
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 11:04 pm

I personally would move the coffee pot
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 11:04 pm

Duh?!!? Reading the above for errors and it occurred to me... Make a short pot of coffee and store in thermos, keep in living room overnight. Brilliant😝
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 11:07 pm

Lostmaniac wrote:
I personally would move the coffee pot

Could. Except I make pour over with Melitta pot... Suppose I could grind the coffee the night before and put the tea kettle on the wood stove...

Or. I do have Mr. Coffee in storage. With timer. Maybe put that on the bathroom. Wake up to the sound and smell of coffee rather than an alarm🥰
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2021 11:36 pm

Aaaaarrgh. Now I'm pissed. Really really really pissed.

I. Am. An idiot!!!

I went into that closet. Which is full of all sorts of stuff that will go in the shed in the spring but I can't get the shed door open once things freeze.

So I ripped my pants. 3 corner year right in front. One of only 2 pair of pants I reserve for our in public.

Hauled out a coffee maker. Brought it to kitchen to clean it up. Lay it down on the counter. Right in front of the Keurig.  The Keurig?!!!???!!? F*** me!!!  Forgot about the Keurig that we use when we only want a single cup.

Yep. I a idiot. Damn damn damn and double damn😮😮😮
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2021 12:55 pm

All that trouble, not mention a pair of pants, when you had the solution there all along.  Make the coffee and put it in a thermos ... as a friend of mine would say "Easy peasy!"

But the Keurig in the living room means that it's fresh coffee which is ever better.

@amymeme whatcha mean watch The day after tomorrow, I feel like I'm living it.  We've got another front coming through then it's supposed to warm up and at this time of the year, if it really warms up, it should stay livable at least through late spring.  Went to town yesterday to get gas for the genny, coming back I saw this poor little bluebonnet that obviously had gotten confused, it had it's flowers sticking up through the snow ... oops, wrong time, wrong place guy!  That makes me wonder though, after a good wet, cool winter the bluebonnets come up and the whole country turns this nice shade of blue - wonder what they're gonna do this year - it's either gonna be really pretty or none at all if they got frozen.

@Lostmaniac I've looked at different times for things on the exchange web site, then I look at Amazon and can normally find whatever for about 25% less.  Active duty / retired, on base they might have some good prices (they did when I was serving) but the Exchange Shop's at the VA are atrocious.  They may have the supplies that someone in or visiting the hospitals might want but it seems to me as it they're paying for the convenience.

My line in the pump house froze up so I don't have water in the house and I see things leaking so I've shut the valve off for the time being. Now if my gravity feed from the tanks would thaw, I could at least get water without having to go to town.  

amymeme wrote:
So I ripped my pants. 3 corner year right in front. One of only 2 pair of pants I reserve for our in public.
Careful there, someone's gonna think you're advertising.

Take care all and stay warm ...

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2021 2:10 pm

Man oh man. The damn coffee saga just gets better and better. I made the pot and took it in the living room so as not to disturb hubby ( our sleep schedules are offset about 3-4 hours). But. Chilly mornings the pot got cold really fast. Then I remembered this Mr coffee has option of thermal pot. Found one on Amazon but needed to check the model number. Model number on the bottom. Turned the damn coffee maker upside down to read the model number. And out splats the used, wet, full of used grounds, filter. All over the vanity top 🙄

I will say. Was sort of nice just pouring my cup first thing rather than grinding the coffee, measuring the water, fillinh the tea kettle, add hot water to the carafe, get the filter holder, get a filter from the cupboard, wet it. Fill the carafe with hot water to pre-heat, fill the thermal carafe with hot water to pre heat, empty the carafe, dump the ground coffee in the filter, wet the grounds to allow the coffee to "bloom" wait 20 seconds, slowly pour the rest of the just under boiling water over the bloomed ground and let drip, empty the thermal carafe and pour the finished coffee into the carafe. Phew.  All while dogs dancing at my feet saying "that breakfast was awful skimpy, what else ya got?" 😝
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2021 6:39 pm

amymeme wrote:
I will say. Was sort of nice just pouring my cup first thing rather than grinding the coffee, measuring the water, fillinh the tea kettle, add hot water to the carafe, get the filter holder, get a filter from the cupboard, wet it. Fill the carafe with hot water to pre-heat, fill the thermal carafe with hot water to pre heat, empty the carafe, dump the ground coffee in the filter, wet the grounds to allow the coffee to "bloom" wait 20 seconds, slowly pour the rest of the just under boiling water over the bloomed ground and let drip, empty the thermal carafe and pour the finished coffee into the carafe. Phew.  All while dogs dancing at my feet saying "that breakfast was awful skimpy, what else ya got?" 😝

*I* will say that I have never seen anyone - and I mean anyone - make such a production out of making some coffee.... Smile

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2021 6:44 pm

That was funny and reminds me of camping. I would rig a filter to a straw so the grounds stayed in the cup. My normal is grind beans dump into mr coffee and wait 5 mins.So woke up turned on the news and it was warmer up here then in houston. Its been snowing here for days but thats normal for here. Crazy the texas power grid collapsed.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2021 7:59 pm

aljones wrote:
amymeme wrote:

*I* will say that I have never seen anyone - and I mean anyone - make such a production out of making some coffee....  Smile

😂😂😂😂😂 (And I make no apology for using an emoji the current crop of trend setters now consider passe.

Let me introduce you to my food scientist son. He does all the same. Except... He weighs out the beans on a gram scale🙄

Emily... People want to blame it on green new deal renewable energy. Years, windmills froze. But natural gas pumps froze, pipelines froze, natural gas for home breathing is prioritized over electric generation (so my engineer other son tells me - he works for GE supporting power generation turbines.)

I've even read that water is an issue - with everybody dripping their faucets and some of those pumps freezing, water pressure is way down. And if it goes low enough, there will be a boil water order due to sédiment contamination. Wild, wild weather, one catastrophe after another.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 16, 2021 9:40 pm

I think alot has to do with distance between the north pole and magnetic north... literally things are shifting and then you have cloud seeding and all sorts of how to weaponize the weather experiments and then sometimes i wonder if this isnt some type of simulation like in hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. Whays funny is donald trump could have been the president of the galaxy, whos only real job is to outrageously distract from very real important things.

Then there is the very real fact that throughout time the climate has changed. Usually it was gradual to allow thing to evolve. Since the 1850s and the industrial revolution, it has sped up exponentially. Then there is the debate as to if its too late to do anything about it.

And the green new deal has some issues. They focus on zero carbon but there is always a tradeoff. Pagosa springs is completely powered by geothermal earth tubes. Since they were installed they have had alot of very minor earthquakes and the road buckles on a regular basis. It take alot of heat and dirty energy to fix the road so its not really zero carbon. Now if only someone could figure out a perpetual motion machine. But by known laws of physics, it is impossible.

And green new deal yourself to wherever but all of these battery driven things dont hold a charge in our winter and some are known for having altitude issues. Technology isnt there yet.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2021 2:09 pm

@amymeme I had to laugh at the son who weighs his coffee beans, "oops that extra bean is gonna make this coffee too strong and I can't drink that!" Yeh, <LOL>, well, okay.

It boggles my mind that everyone seems to have to blame someone for what is actually an act of nature. Does it help when we say that the Texas ERCOT should have been prepared for something that happens a few times a century. So we froze (and regrettably some people have died.) Most of the US is having a hard time dealing with temperatures that are setting new record lows all across the country - as a famous friend of mine once said "Shit happens!" and there isn't a lot we can do about it.

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2021 2:30 pm

Dont you know blaming someone else is a protective mechanism of dealing with something out of your control. And didnt catbert say that all the time in the dilbert comic. I come from a family that lives by the phrase "prepare for the worst, bit hope for the best" . But seriously, if colorado was hit by a bad hurricane we would be just as screwed as texas is with snow now. But colorado set records also. We have other worries up here that are also weather related. Avalanches are a huge problem this year.

Anyway i feel for texas my hubby's family including newborn twins are in the houston area but i seriously cant stop laughing about how stupid people are with trying to drive. I guess because i drive on snow half the year, the roads arnt all that bad from what ive seen but you cant drive like its a nascar race on snow.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2021 2:58 pm

We get cold here so our infrastructure is mostly prepared for it. The town up the road had their natural gas wells freeze over. Our electric is actually from a nuclear plant a few miles east of here and we've had no issue but I don't live my life expecting there to never be a hiccup so if the power were to go out we would have been fine. We have gas for the cars to charge a battery bank I can hook heaters to. Sun was out good yesterday for my solar panels to grab some time. Like any good financial portfolio resources need to be diversified, yep, Shit definitely happens.

So, based on what my fruit trees are doing I think once we clear this cold snap we will crawl out into spring before too long here. And it should be a good spring. We started out dry but this pop of moisture we've had this last month is hitting at a good time for us. Will probably burn the fields off next week sometime and get the dead out.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 17, 2021 3:09 pm

Welp. Have to say, this is a bit of a problem:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tim-boyd-mayor-colorado-city-texas-resigns-power-outages/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=111562335

I doubt that very many Texans have snow tires. And for city dwellers in general, with utilities provided, not many look at a forecast and think... Better fill some jugs with water. And bring in extra wood is probably not even a possibility. And the above mentioned son that weighs his coffee beans? He lives in a lovely, wooded residential area with tons of privacy. And still, within walking/biking distance to grocery/liquor/restaurants. As such, he, like I imagine most urban Texans, aren't of the mindset to keep a house sufficiently stocked for weeks if must be. And then there are those that do not have the wherewithal to do so.

Hubby and I were talking this morning. We are skiers (ex, now) and campers. That means lots of long underwear, layers and layers of different weight clothing, tents, sleeping bags, lanterns. Hell, if we had to, we could set up a tent in the basement, cover it with quilts, bring in the dogs and sequester in sleeping bags. Guaranteed we would soon be roasting.

I dunno. Just reading about children succombing to carbon monoxide has me horrified. Authorities are trying to spread the word re dangers of CO poisoning but without electricity, no media hard to get the message out.

My heart goes out Texas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calling the vet on Monday   Calling the vet on Monday - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Calling the vet on Monday

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next