It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My Husky will not eat!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kenai's Mom
Newborn
Newborn

My Husky will not eat! Empty
PostSubject: My Husky will not eat!   My Husky will not eat! EmptySun Jun 06, 2021 6:36 pm

Crying or Very sad My heart is breaking and I don't know what to do... Hello, my name is Gael and I am Kenai's mom... he is a beautiful year and half old husky who has me completely at my wits end.
Kenai is a wonderfully natured dog, sweet but protective and quite a watch dog... I have not socialized him much with strangers for several reasons...but all the neighbors know and love him and he knows them and is very friendly when he USED to get out (that was when I had to make my house FT. KENAI and completely surround my house with a six foot fence to keep him from escaping and visiting others scary their often little dogs when all he wanted to be was friends.  Everything seemed to be fairly well....by that I mean he's always been a picky eater but now I don't care what I put in front of him...he refuses to eat it.

I walk him at night because I am an older lady and he is strong as a bull...and just about as stubborn...so our late evening walks are better for him...less distractions.  Now best also due to the heat we are experiencing. He has the freedom to be outside or inside as he chooses.  About six weeks ago he started to be not only a picky eater but often refusing to eat...losing weight scared me so I took him to the vet. Her response was "feed him eggs".... that didn't work. I try not to switch him around on foods but at this point I have no choice just trying to find out which one he will eat....and so far none. He may eat something once but refuse it never touching it again.

I have tried every suggested food both from Husky breeders, Vets, Washington State Vet. School..and all I have done is successfully spend a ton of money and end up throwing it out.  He won't even eat a  tiny piece of steak.  

Is Kenai so unhappy that I need to find him another home? He's very loving and protective of me and even if he's not eating the dog food put down for him he has the typical food agression typical of huskies.

I feel so sad but I am realistic, if Kenai would do better in a different home..then I would let him go.

That would break my heart, but if may well be best for him.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: My Husky will not eat!   My Husky will not eat! EmptySun Jun 06, 2021 9:45 pm

It seems as if, of late, I've been starting most of my messages with "I have two questions ..."

And in line with that, I have two questions of you:
1)  What's this bulls weight and what has he lost in how long a time. Are these your vets weights or your own supposition?
2)  What are you feeing him and how much are you feeding him per day.  Please include all those treats ... they add up and do count.

With very few exceptions, at least that I know of, a dogs displeasure isn't shown by not eating.
You may have a few different things going on. It's getting warmer - 100°f here today and my dogs and I have stayed in pretty much all day. When it's this warm a lot of dogs won't each much because they don't need it. Unlike many breeds, Huskies are self regulating when it comes to food - they don't need it, they don't eat.

All Huskies (or all that I'm aware of) from time to time simply stop eating - normally it's for a day or two and then they're back to normal. Seems to resemble a friend of mine who'd fast for a couple of days and kept telling me how much better it made him feel.

You've had him in at the vets, what was their response to his not eating???

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: My Husky will not eat!   My Husky will not eat! EmptySun Jun 06, 2021 10:32 pm

Are you sure there is no blockage/foreign object/ulcer causing him pain when he eats. Or even a bad broken tooth could do it. They dont usually not eat because they are unhappy though. @aljones is right about that
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: My Husky will not eat!   My Husky will not eat! EmptyTue Jun 08, 2021 12:36 pm

Why do people do this??  @Kenai's Mom posted a question, got two reasonable answers but hasn't been back since her initial post.

Obviously I hope that the situation she described didn't turn critical ... but some feedback for us would be nice.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My Husky will not eat!   My Husky will not eat! EmptyTue Jun 08, 2021 2:23 pm

Hopefully not critical, either medically or rehoming so soon after asking, but I guess if you jumped into rehoming a dog right after seeking help then you wouldn't have much reason to come back and see if someone had help to offer.

PostSubject: Re: My Husky will not eat!   My Husky will not eat! Empty

Back to top Go down

My Husky will not eat!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1