It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Husky mix

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JennyL
Newborn
Newborn

New Husky mix Empty
PostSubject: New Husky mix   New Husky mix EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 10:39 pm

Hello from Ontario Canada! My husband and I adopted this adorable fellow a few months ago. We thought GSD x with some Husky as he hails from Northern Manitoba. DNA says 75-90% Husky and 10-25% GSD. He's got quite the personality! I'd love any tips for recall and heel training. Thanks!

New Husky mix Pxl_2010
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

New Husky mix Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky mix   New Husky mix EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 11:07 pm

Funny i would have guessed hound mix. Welcome though. I have 2 mixes 2 non huskies. With the recall and heel squirt is 90% on the recall and heel doesnt exist. After about 10 mins she will walk with the leash loose slightly in front of me. Spider has no recall and nothing in the heel dept.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

New Husky mix Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky mix   New Husky mix EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 12:16 am

Personal experience - recall is a 30 ft lead!  Recall, generally, isn't a part of a Husky's vocabulary.  Heel though is within the realm of workable - as long as you're not asking for off leash heel.  Of my three, two will do a good on lead heel; the other one wants to see what's beyond the end of his leash!

You MAY luck out if the GSD overpowers the Husky nature but simply put, Huskies are bred to run and they will, every chance they get.  The first one I had seemed to like going cross country to one place that was about 10 miles down the road ... they were very good natured about it when they brought her home.

Even though I live off road (the road past my place gets maybe 10 cars a day now) my dogs are on lead unless I let them off to run.  Then I hop in the Jeep and lead/follow them down the road for a few miles ... and then back.  We have cougar and bear that don't mind a dog for lunch and then we also have coyotes who'll grab a small one and gang up on a bigger one --- I prefer them on lead so I know where they are.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .

Last edited by aljones on Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JennyL
Newborn
Newborn

New Husky mix Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky mix   New Husky mix EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 8:37 am

Thanks guys! His recall currently depends on 1) whether the rodent he is harrassing is more interesting and 2) whether I've got the good treats in my pocket. Heeling does seem to happen after a bit so that may be what we have to live with! He's sweet as pie, and my little rescue from Mexico loves him so all in all I think we lucked out!
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

New Husky mix Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky mix   New Husky mix EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 12:52 pm

Congrats on your new puppo! Your pup may be easier or harder to teach depending on if he leans more GSD or Husky. They're pretty different in terms of obedience. Both are fast learners, but huskies notoriously ignore commands they know because they know there's no reward in it. After you take away the treats he may lose interest in following the commands you taught.

Teaching huskies to not chase small animals is difficult. Anything small that moves quickly triggers them to give chase without a thought.

A 30 foot lead is a great idea to teach them to stay and come over and over with treat training in an open area. You could also take him out on a walk with a retractable leash. Randomly call him and give him a treat when he comes. Or call his name when passing people/animals and if he looks at you or comes to you, give him a treat. It's easy enough to hold the treat at your side and say heel over and over while he follows and give the treat to build association.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Husky mix Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Husky mix   New Husky mix Empty

Back to top Go down

New Husky mix

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1