It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Way more stressful then I thought!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cheyenne0100
Newborn
Newborn

Way more stressful then I thought!  Empty
PostSubject: Way more stressful then I thought!    Way more stressful then I thought!  EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 1:11 pm

Hello all! So I have a Siberian husky who is 4 months old today! His name is Bully. Now I usually have had dogs in my lifetime but pit bulls & I never had to train them to be honest. I do not want to or like yelling because I am afraid to install fear into Bully and make him aggressive. Bully has a biting problem. He has calmed down a bit but only because he sort of fears my girlfriends tone. He goes for feet a lot, or if you let him. He bites any and everything. From walls, body parts, wires, shoes etc. I do not want to keep him crates because I feel bad but I don’t know what else to do. I try to spend as much time with him outside of work however he is sooo crazy he makes it very hard! He is doing well as far as the pee pads go and using the bathroom. However; very often he will use the bathroom right next to the pad or off of it. I was always taught to have the dog smell both the pad and where he used the bathroom and tell him no and then time out. Bully however, you cannot do that with. Once he does something wrong it’s like he knows he did that something, when you go to pick him up and show him he literally starts yelling and making these noises as if he is being tortured and the entire time I’d just be holding him looking at him doing nothing at all. I understand his breed isn’t calm and are prone to hunting etc. I was told by many husky owners the start is always this way. They all usually turn out to be the best dogs ever but I really need help and advice getting there!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Way more stressful then I thought!    Way more stressful then I thought!  EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 2:01 pm

Sorry to say, trying not to laugh 'cause I know this is stressful for you... but, you have a typical, drama queen, husky puppy. Those screeches? Oy, those screeches. Right now, puppy is learning about his environment, and probably teething. And you make a great teething toy. Huskies are particularly mouthy and puppy teeth are particularly sharp.

Time for structure in this guy's life. To start, crate training is not only helpful for you but could be life saving for him. Just don't use the crate as punishment or time out. Second, little guy could benefit from having a short leash (4-6 ft) attached at all times. This gives you something to grab into when he's amped up. A firm "no," then containing him with the leash is a good place to start. Now is the time to start treating basic obedience command, sit, down, stay, place. As well as learn the word "no" had meaning. Search on here for puppy training tips.

Good luck. May the force be with you.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Way more stressful then I thought!    Way more stressful then I thought!  EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 2:02 pm

Oh. No leash or collar in the crate. You would be amazed at the kind of trouble a pup can get into with collars/learners on crate😬
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Way more stressful then I thought!    Way more stressful then I thought!  EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 2:09 pm

Ah, @cheyenne0100, welcome to the world of Huskies!!

A couple of comments and then a suggestion. While my Huskies are all rescues, I've found that, in general, they don't like being picked up - and as you've found they can get pretty verbose about it.

I personally disagree with the "breed isn't calm" since all of mine have been really quiet. When there isn't something going on they're crashed just waiting for something to happen.

My suggestion would be twofold:
1) Put him on a house leash (that's really any 6 ft lead) so when he does (or looks like he's going to do) something to which you object, you can move him away from it. (( Sorry, if he likes biting, You can figure out who gets to hold the lead.
2) teach him to respect your body parts by hand feeding him. It's a hassle to get started but I've had excellent results. If you give him food in your hand and he "goes for it" then take it back. Don't feed him until he gets the idea that he does it gently or he's gonna be hungry.

Some huskies require a lot of exercise! Some require 5+ miles of jogging a day! Bully may be one of them.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Cheyenne0100
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Way more stressful then I thought!    Way more stressful then I thought!  EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 12:07 am

Thank you’ll for getting back to me! It helps a lot knowing that this isn’t just my dog acting this way but the breed that he is. I definitely am going to give all of these things a try! Bully knows some commands. He is slowly learning and trying to not bite but ofc one excited that changes. It will be a very long journey but I will continue to work on these things with him. Is it normal that he urinates ALOTTTT?! And seems to love to lay in it. I was told it isn’t good to bathe a pup too often but his coat isn’t white as it should be and he is always full of pee. Who knew being a dog parent would be this much work.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Way more stressful then I thought!    Way more stressful then I thought!  EmptyMon Sep 20, 2021 4:33 pm

Also to add to what al Jones and amymeme said, nothing comes free! When you feed him make him sit first. If he wants a cuddle make sure he sits and comes calmly before you give him any attention. If he wants a treat sit and paw. Before you let him in a car or or outside literally any thing get him to sit and paw first. And also get him some stimulation toys like a kong, sounds like he’s teething so it’s going to be more fun chewing a toy with food in it than a humans leg that Hes going to get told of for.
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: Way more stressful then I thought!    Way more stressful then I thought!  EmptySat Oct 02, 2021 1:59 pm

Find good training and go all in with training!!!! Especially over the first 2 years. Start with positive reward training as soon as he's got his shots and is ready. At 1 year, transition to balanced training. Yelling is counter productive as verbal communication is almost worthless (he doesn't speak English). Hand signals plus cause and effect and he will learn!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Way more stressful then I thought!    Way more stressful then I thought!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Way more stressful then I thought!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1