It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Keeping dinner down. :-(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

Keeping dinner down. :-( Empty
PostSubject: Keeping dinner down. :-(   Keeping dinner down. :-( EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Nikolai has had a very good appetite lately, so we've been giving him just a *little* bit more during his dinners. We figured he was just extra hungry from all the hiking/walky-dogging we've been doing... however, a couple of times in the last few days he's had his Keen/raw chicken, he's yarfed all of it back up in ONE massive blob on the carpet. silent I don't think he's eating it too fast (it still takes him about 5-10 minutes to eat a thigh or drumstick), he hasn't had anything new added into his diet... what could make him Pukey McGee like this? After he upchucks his dinner, he's still hungry and will eat again (pretty much anything we're willing to give him), but I feel so bad for my lil' guy and I don't want to have to feed him twice a night (first time, upchuck, then second dinner), and I don't want to have to clean it all up.

Advice? Thoughts? Wisdom?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Keeping dinner down. :-(   Keeping dinner down. :-( EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 4:42 pm

How often are you feeding Nikolai? And how much food does he get in one meal?

I'm wondering if it's too much food in one meal for him to eat?

What if you tried feeding him smaller meals but more frequently? Like breakfast, lunch and dinner and evening snack of regular food, not treats?

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

PostSubject: Re: Keeping dinner down. :-(   Keeping dinner down. :-( EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Right now, he's actually eating once a day. We give him 2-3 oz. of Keen (dry, before water), and either a cup and a half of Wellness Core or a raw thigh/drumstick shortly after I get home. If he's still hungry, we'll mix up some kibble/egg or kibble/canned food for him later usually after our walk, and he typically gets 4-6 fairly sizeable treats throughout the day. We've tried giving him food in the mornings and he almost never touches it.

He's been "grazing" in the yard and on our walks lately... I'm wondering if something isn't agreeing with his tummy so he eats the grass to make himself sick? I dunno...
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Keeping dinner down. :-(   Keeping dinner down. :-( EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:02 pm

Ginger started eating grass this morning. I've stopped her but now I'm wondering if the change in the weather is causing some weird patterns in our pups?

Has Nikolai just started yarfing up his dinner, like in the last couple of days?

I know with horses, a change in weather can cause their tummies to go haywire and they can colic, basically constipating them up that in extreme cases, they need major surgery, or in the case of my horse, I had to put him down Sad

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

PostSubject: Re: Keeping dinner down. :-(   Keeping dinner down. :-( EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:10 pm

He's been "off" since maybe Wednesday last week. We alternate raw/kibble days with his Keen and I think he puked Wednesday and Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Keeping dinner down. :-(   Keeping dinner down. :-( EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:13 pm

When he's been grazing outside, does he just do it slowly or is he eating it quickly and in larger quantities? The grass couold very well be the culprit if he's eating a good amount of it.

Did the vomiting start when you increased your feedng amounts? If you were to decrease the feeding amounts to normal does the vomiting stop?

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

PostSubject: Re: Keeping dinner down. :-(   Keeping dinner down. :-( EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 6:18 pm

He isn't eating much grass, maybe a teaspoon's worth, total... he licks it more than actually eats it.

We started increasing his portion by about a tablespoon on Friday, then maybe two by Sunday, maybe up to a 1/4 cup or an oz. more today, because we were REALLY active with him this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Keeping dinner down. :-(   Keeping dinner down. :-( EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 7:05 pm

Dogs should be fed at least twice a day with times being 8-12 hours apart when possible.

Myself I feed Adobo & Biko 3 times with morning and evening feed times of equal amounts, and noon about a third less. (morning & evening = 3/4 cup and at noon 1/2 cup, 2 cups total) Doesn't seem like much but its easier on their bellies that way, and of course various treats during the day.
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

PostSubject: Re: Keeping dinner down. :-(   Keeping dinner down. :-( EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 7:17 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Dogs should be fed at least twice a day with times being 8-12 hours apart when possible.

For the six weeks or so we tried to feed him in the morning and at night, we couldn't get him to eat in the morning for love nor money... his AM portion was always wasted and then he'd inhale his PM portion and harass us for more, so we were doing two mini-meals at night, one around 5:30 and the other at 9:30, but then he'd have to go out to potty 2-3 times between 11 PM and 6 AM... so we settled on the once a day feeding with a heavy hand on treats. He's an extremely picky eater, will only eat what he wants and on his terms. My "tough love" of making food available only at certain times, for a limited amount of time hasn't gone well - he's gone four days without eating when I tried this (refer to the Dog Nazi horror story). Maybe I'll go back to the two structured meals at night (5:30/9:30) and just do the midnight, 3 and 5 AM potty breaks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping dinner down. :-(   Keeping dinner down. :-( Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping dinner down. :-(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1