It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Found a lump on Faith

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Found a lump on Faith Empty
PostSubject: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 8:56 pm

This afternoon I found a decent size lump on Faith's abdomen just inside her left rear leg. My mother in law has a chihuahua who has a lump in the exact same place which is a tumor that she is preparing to schedule surgery for. Now that has me freaking out over this lump I just found on Faith. Sad

For anyone who doesn't know, I'm fairly new in my area (recently moved to a new city and state) and the two local vets I've checked out so far are AWFUL and I don't want to take Faith to either of them which has me even more stressed out as I'll need to find someone further away that I don't know anything about and whether or not they are any good. Sad I don't have a holistic vet near me that I would feel comfortable with and I can't wait until my next trip to FL to have my old holistic vet look at her.

I feel just horrible right now.

Here's a pic of the lump. In case you can't tell it's located just above my index finger...
Found a lump on Faith IMG_0951

I feel so bad for Faith, it's just been one thing after another with her. Sad

Sad Sad Sad

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 9:26 pm

Sad Sad Sad Sad
Poor Faith!
And I feel awful for you that you don't have any decent vets around you!
Would it be an option to talk to your MIL's vet to see if they think it could be the same thing? Or are they a bit far away?

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 9:40 pm

My MIL is going to my old holistic vet in FL. I finally convinced her to see my wonderful holistic vet that my dogs used to go to. That's a 7 hr drive one way so that's not an option. I've got two vets that I'm "considering" calling on Monday that are a bit of a drive for me but if I need to have her seen right away then it might be all I've got for now. I'm seriously considering taking her to a vet in NC that a friend of the family has told me wonderful things about but even that's a 4 hour drive one way and I don't know if they could see her again in a short span of time if it turns out to be something that requires surgery (hopefully not). *sigh* Neutral

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Oh poor Faith! Sad I hope it's nothing that requires surgery. My MIL's 8yr old Bijon has had a lump developing in the same spot for MONTHS and they don't have the $ to take him to get it checked out. I explained to my vet what he had to see what he would say and he told me that he would have to see it, but that if it moved around it was probably just fat accumulating, but that if you couldn't move it that it's a tumor. You could move it...which is good, but geez that thing is getting big and must come out soon! We can't afford to pay for it or TRUST ME I would have. I feel so helpless. If it was one of my dogs I would figure it out, but unfortunately we can't. Even if I wanted to my hubby is like no way.

I hope it's nothing serious for poor little Faith. Keep us posted Val. She'll be just fine!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 12:49 am

Oh no! Poor Faith.
Val, I hope you can find a good vet you can trust to look her over, hope its nothing to bad

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Do dogs have lymph glands in that area like people do? Sometimes in humans tick bites can cause the lymph system to kick in and you will see an enlarged lymph gland in that area. Has she had a tick recently?

Hope and pray it is nothing serious!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Yes, there is a lymph gland in that area same as in people, the inguinal lymph nodes I believe. I check all the dogs all the time for fleas and ticks and I haven't found anything on any of them.

She had a lot of ticks last June (2010) before I switched off of Advantix and onto essential oils. Since she's been on the Rose Geranium oil since June of last year she hasn't had a single tick. Not sure if it matters but she never had enlarged lymph glands when she picked up ticks last summer.

Faith picked the worst possible week and month for this to happen. This week is going to be a busy one for me, Tuesday through Thursday and possibly Friday of this week are not going to be an option to due prior arrangements. Of course if this was an emergency then Faith would absolutely come first but I don't think this is an emergency situation, especially considering she seems otherwise fine. Tomorrow and maybe Friday are my only free days this week for an appt. Aside from Monday morning next week I have the rest of the week pretty much free and clear.

So I'll be making some calls to a couple vets tomorrow that I might consider taking her to for an exam. One vet office doesn't really impress me and it's a lot farther away but they have a first exam free for new clients offer. The other vet is much closer and seems like it might be pretty decent but no free first exam. Soooo, I'm a little torn at the moment. I guess I'll get a better idea after calling and talking to them.

I'm really hoping that it's just something simple like a hernia or fatty deposit. Faith has had too many complications and surgeries in the abdominal region for me to feel comfortable with yet another surgery. Sad

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:31 am

Okay good news! I called this new vet as soon as they opened and would you believe they are booked solid through next Tuesday?! BUT as it just so happens they had ONE opening left at 4:40 PM today! So we are lucky that Faith will be going to see the vet this afternoon. This vet is more expensive than any other vet I've EVER been to so I'm praying that she works out and will be *fingers crossed* the "one" for us. I like that this place is a small practice with only 2 vets and the vet she's seeing is a Dr Jan which is the same name as our last holistic vet in FL...how ironic!

I'll update on how it goes at the vet this afternoon and what the vet says! Keep those fingers crossed for us please!

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 10:50 am

Good luck little Faith! Been following, just haven't had a chance to comment yet Val. But my parent's dog had fatty tumors a lot and it's always scary but getting it checked out is really the best thing. Good luck!

Found a lump on Faith Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 11:35 am

Good Luck!!
Fingers and paws crossed over here!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 7:58 pm

GREAT NEWS! Faith is fine!

She saw the vet this afternoon who gave her a thorough exam. Turns out she has weak abdominal muscles that are very thin and thus have created a little gap or hole if you will that her insides can sort of shift towards and create the little bulge that we were seeing. The vet believes that the weak abdominal muscles are the result of her having so many litters while she was living with the BYB before we adopted her.

Faith does not have a hernia right now but the vet said because of her weak abdominal muscles she has a greater chance of a hernia developing. Dr Jan says no heavy lifting for Faith! Razz

Faith does have a small ball of fat in that area but it is not a concern.

So Dr Jan says the little lump that Faith has right now should be considered Faith's "normal". However if we ever notice that it gets larger it is likely a hernia but of course we'd need to get her re-checked to be sure...IF it ever gets bigger.

So the verdict is that Faith is nice and healthy, the vet has no real concerns, and no surgery is required! Very Happy

I am actually pretty happy with this new vet overall also. Not as great as my last holistic vet in FL but she's pretty good and way better than the other two vets in the area that have already been tried out. I might actually start using Dr Jan as my dogs' primary.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 8:07 pm

WOOHOOO I'm so happy that Faith is ok! I've been thinking about her today!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 8:21 pm

YAY! So happy to hear she's okay and that you might have found a vet that you like!

Found a lump on Faith Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Thank Dogness Faith is ok!
...and bonus that Dr. Jan worked out!

All paws up in the air for Faith and Dr. Jans! Woot woot!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 pm

Great news all around, faith is ok and u might have found a vet!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:49 am

Yep, we are SUPER happy with the verdict and finding a potential new primary for the dogs. I'm so glad we can breathe a sigh of relief after that worry filled weekend!

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad she's going to be OK.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Well, I was laying on top of Mya earlier and found a small bump on the upper back/lower neck. Kind of right above her shoulder blades..in the middle. I've been feeling it all day and it doesn't seem to hurt her, but this has me freaking out...of course! The vet doesn't have any appointments available until Monday morning. Now I have to spend all weekend worried Sad I'm hoping that it's just a grease ball or that maybe Kody hurt her while playing.

Not a good day! I woke up with a nasty headache also and had to stay home =(
Back to top Go down
hillarycole
Puppy
Puppy
hillarycole

Female Join date : 2011-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 7:01 pm

I hope Faith will be okay!! Just an idea: 24 Pet Watch has AMAZING pet insurance and for super cheap. I have kept it on all my dogs because I know vets can be expensive. You still have to prepay the vet and then the insurance cuts you a reimbursement check within 10 days, but it makes decisions SO MUCH less stressful when you are faced with financial restrictions. Website below:

http://www.24petwatch.com/petinsurance/dog-insurance.asp

I have QuickCare Gold for my dogs, but anything is better than nothing
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that Melissa. So you have an appt for Monday then? I'd be worried sick all weekend too. I hope it's nothing serious. I'll be thinking of you and Mya all weekend. Let us know how the appt goes Monday.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:34 pm

Yeah Val, at 845am. At least it's early. She's acting fine and let's me mess with it so I'm hoping it's nothing, but I'm totally freaking. Can't help it. I'll definitely update you as soon as I get out.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 11:48 pm

I'm a bit late, but I'm glad all is well with Faith!! Melissa, I hope Mya is ok too! Trust me, I understand the worrying, it seems that's all I've been doing for the past several months! Sending lots of positive thoughts your way!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks Mindy!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Okay, we'll update this one first. I was FINALLY able to get Faith in to see my old holistic vet in FL for a second opinion on the lump. I did NOT share the info or vet records from the 1st opinion I received about the lump to rule out any preconceptions.

Turned out to be good news yet again. The lump is definitely not on her mammary gland and she confirmed what the other vet concluded about it. It's a harmless fatty lump that she said was not even worth aspirating. And if there's any vet that I trust completely it's this one so I am very happy to say it's nothing to worry about and can breathe a sigh of relief finally. Very Happy

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 4:48 pm

That's great news!!

PostSubject: Re: Found a lump on Faith   Found a lump on Faith Empty

Back to top Go down

Found a lump on Faith

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next