It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky puppy raised with 2 cats??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheHailstorm
Newborn
Newborn
TheHailstorm

Female Join date : 2011-06-21

Husky puppy raised with 2 cats?? Empty
PostSubject: Husky puppy raised with 2 cats??   Husky puppy raised with 2 cats?? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Hey everyone! We're are new to this site. We are getting our new puppy Bella(thats her name as of now) on July 7th, shes a siberian husky of course and she is just gorgeous! We have been wanting a husky for a long time now and we have been doing a lot of research. Some things I was unaware too, but since I'm learning about it now, at least we can be prepared. Ok so for my question, I have heard that considering the "prey instinct" that huskies have, I have read a lot about how they will kill smaller animals i.e. cats and others but I heard that if raised from a puppy with cats that they will do better with small animals. Now, we are going to crate train our husky, and even though we do have a backyard, she WILL be going outside with us on a leash at all times. I have also read that they will learn to live with the cats in the house but if they encounter ones they are not used to, they want to kill those. We are mainly concerned about our 2 cats. Bella will be 9 weeks when we bring her home and our cats are 3 and almost 1. Does anyone else have cats with their huskies? IS IT possible to have them in the same house together and raise them together? I want to know if other people have had success raising their puppy with cats and things are ok. We plan on keeping her in the crate at night and whenever we are gone. Advice please, our 6 year old (and us) are soo excited about bringing her home! Any advice, suggestions, etc you can offer would be just wonderful!! Thank you!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HuskyHangout
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy raised with 2 cats??   Husky puppy raised with 2 cats?? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:20 pm

well you are starting by getting a puppy which is the safest way to help with the cats. i just know from what i read from others on this site that it has worked for them, but the husky and cat are NEVER left together with out supervision. i adopted older huskies and they will kill a cat if it gets to close, even at friends homes i will not trust them with the cats or small dogs around. now its not to say she will always work with your cats and there is always that chance she will just end up with a high pray drive but with good training it can work.we cant wait to see pictures when you bring her home. WELCOME!

now to let others with real info post Wink

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy raised with 2 cats??   Husky puppy raised with 2 cats?? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:54 pm

Check out the following thread, it's pretty similar in content to your question about huskies and cats:
Betty in Munich Cats/Huskies

I know there are other threads with postings on the subject of cats and huskies getting along but can't seem to find them right now.

Newborn
Newborn
TheHailstorm

Female Join date : 2011-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy raised with 2 cats??   Husky puppy raised with 2 cats?? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks for your information!! You two have already been helpful and thanks huskyluv for that link, reading that has helped me feel better, I think that as long as we socialize them well together, once the cats get over their "hissy" stage when Bella first comes home, lol they always do that, we will just try to introduce them and work with them all together. Let Bella see us with the cats and see that they are alright and let the cats see us with Bella so they know she is ok... We will continue to do more research about it to see if we can't find out some good ideas of things we can do to help them all mush well together... Smile Let me know if you guys find anything else about this topic! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HuskyHangout
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy raised with 2 cats??   Husky puppy raised with 2 cats?? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 5:53 pm

I have 4 cats here. No issues at all but my cats are dog savvy. I just always used the rule of no mouth on the cat. Mishka was the most difficult but she wad 5 months old when she came home. Just be vigilant and always crate the dog when you leave.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy raised with 2 cats??   Husky puppy raised with 2 cats?? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:08 pm

I have two huskies and two cats and both dogs were raised from puppyhood with the cats. Dakota is excellant with them and can be completely trusted around them when I am not home, but that is just becuase he has absolutely no prey drive. Willow on the other hand does have a prey drive so she will never be trusted around them with out my supervision. She can be in the same room with the cats and they can drink from the same bowl and be fine, but the minute one of the cats run in her line of vision, the chase is on. As long as you supervise them, you should be fine. You will learn pretty quickly how strong of a prey drive Bella has by her reactions to the cats, squirrels, birds etc...
Back to top Go down
KareBear
Teenager
Teenager
KareBear

Female Join date : 2011-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy raised with 2 cats??   Husky puppy raised with 2 cats?? EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Aevyn and his two feline sisters Pandora and Kahlua have been fine with each other since day one. Our cats were both 1 and a bit when Aevyn came home at 10weeks, and honestly, there was a small bit of chasing, small bit of hissing and swatting - but now they're very tolerant of each other. They even curl up and sleep together sometimes. So I dont think you have anything to worry about, just, as everyone else said, keep an eye on it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy raised with 2 cats??   Husky puppy raised with 2 cats?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky puppy raised with 2 cats??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1