It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Calling on you South Florida members!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Calling on you South Florida members! Empty
PostSubject: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 6:34 pm

Can any of you members that are located in and around the South Florida area recommend a good no kill shelter or rescue group?

I ask because a distant relative living in Miami has passed away and no one can offer her dog a permanent home. The people who are taking care of the dog right now are asking for help finding a shelter or rescue that can rehome this poor dog but they don't want him to go to a kill shelter.

The info that I have about the dog is that he is about 8 or 9 yrs old and he's Bichon Frise who is on a special diet due to having problems with kidney stones in the past. My mother in law in Orlando is willing to drive down to Miami and take him wherever necessary (within reason of course) to ensure he doesn't end up on the streets or dumped in a kill shelter.

If you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Tri-County is no-kill. I don't know if they're accepting/have space though.

http://www.tricountyhumane.org/

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 7:15 pm

I have no idea, BUT I know this girl through FB whose friend works at the Shih Tzu rescue and she was willing to help out with the husky that needed a home. So maybe she'll know of a rescue with openings or of some body who might want him. I just wrote to her. Let's see if she replies.

So sad..poor doggie Sad
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 7:19 pm

http://www.nokillnetwork.org/d/Florida

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/FL57.html

http://www.floridapets.net/rescues.html

Here is some resources that I had. I can do some more searching later and let you know.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 8:31 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I will pass your suggestions along so that they can make the necessary calls and arrangements to get this dog taken care of.

You guys are so awesome and quick to respond!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Val, I'm going to PM you the girls number that I know through FB. Can you call her for the details? She'll call her friend that works with the Shih Tzu rescue to see what they can do.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Send it over and I can give it to my mother in law who would be the one doing the calling.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Cool, I sent it before I read this =)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 11:14 pm

I got it, thanks! I will pass it along. Hopefully this poor dog will be one step closer to finding his new forever home. Apparently he's been through 3 different homes already. His first owner died, then he went to his second home. Then his second owner died and he went to his third home. Now his third owner died poor thing! Hmm...maybe that track record should be a secret or people might not want to adopt him.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 11:20 pm

Oh my! Seriously....keep that on the down low!!! That's crazy! Poor thing...I hope he finds a forever home soon! To be 8 or 9 yrs old and going through that sucks for a poor doggie =(
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 11:39 am

Just an update, my MIL called EVERY single organization/person above mentioned and not a single person has returned her call. I don't know if she's tried calling any of them more than once, maybe she has, I don't know. Anyway, the people who have been keeping the dog for the past month? are running out of food for the dog and want to get it off their hands. The dog is in Miami so my MIL is going to drive down to Miami (from Orlando) to pick up the dog next month to keep them from dropping it off at a shelter where it might be put to sleep.

So it looks like she'll have to start looking around the Orlando area for a no-kill shelter or rescue to hopefully take the dog and try to rehome it. Not quite the news we wanted to hear, but I thought this deserved an update in case anyone cared to know how things were going.

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Pet Rescue by Judy is a good one in central FL. Also Ruff World (the one my mom helps out with) is ok. Seminole County Animal Services is a kill shelter, but they are very good about getting dogs adopted out and work closely with TEARS who might be able to take the dog.

http://www.petfinder.com/awo/index.cgi?location=orlando%2C+fl&keyword=

Calling on you South Florida members! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks a bunch Sara! I will share those with her. I'm sure she'll also put up fliers at the pet stores and vets that she frequents in the Orlando area as well. Fingers crossed this dog will find his forever home soon.

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 1:47 pm

Send a flier to Hollywood Houndz in Lake Mary. They are a grooming/pet boutique that helps Seminole adopt out a lot of cats and dogs. And Louise's Pet Connection (also in Lake Mary). They have a book of adoptable pets right inside their front door.

Calling on you South Florida members! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 1:54 pm

Thanks for the tips, Sara! I will definitely share them with her!

PostSubject: Re: Calling on you South Florida members!   Calling on you South Florida members! Empty

Back to top Go down

Calling on you South Florida members!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1