It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Blue Wilderness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:41 pm

After reading up on dogfoods, and being unsucsesfull in convincing the bf to go raw, I have to decided to feed Blue Wilderness. I bought the Salmon formula to start because Neo loves his salmon. I figure I can switch him over the course of a few weeks, and see how it goes. Anyone ever fed Blue Wilderness and how did you like it?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:43 pm

I think we tried a bag of Blue Wilderness Salmon once. Dogs seemed to like it. I can't remember if that gave them gas or if EVO red meat did. Either way, it's a good food to try out Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Koda got sick off it, but that was the chicken formula before they had additional proteins.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:13 pm

I used to feed it to Mya and it's great. I'm actually going to put her back on it partially soon. The only reason I took her off of it was because she needed to shed a few lbs so I put her on a reduced calorie kibble.

I want to try it with Kody also, but his tummy IS SO sensitive that I'm hoping he'll be ok on it. I recently tried TOTW with him and it's a major no go! Only gave him maybe 5 or 6 pieces of kibble and that caused major runny poop! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:42 pm

I have used it in the past with no issues. They had a recall on their canned food which spooked me probably needlessly. They have lots of new varieties since I used it last.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:58 pm

My sibe got sick partway through a bag of the chicken formula which made me shy away from Blue Wilderness for a couple years. I recently tried their newer duck formula and had good success with it. Overall I'm cautiously happy with it, our first experience with the chicken formula has me keeping my guard up though.

Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:03 pm

i use it and my dogs love it and seem to do great on it
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 1:19 am

We're feeding Ghost the puppy formula and having great success with it. She had horribly runny poop when we first got her, and we rotated through several foods (admittedly starting out with crap food before I found this forum and learned about dog food) before we found the Wilderness. She hasn't had a runny poop since, and loves the food. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Blue Wilderness 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 1:56 pm

I feed Frankie BW, it was actually the last food I was going to try before I went raw due to his tummy issues. He did great on it and I saw an immediate difference. I convinced my mom to switch her dog too since we live together and I couldn't risk Frankie eating the crappy food she was giving Bruiser. I was giving him the chicken, but Bruiser didn't do to great on the chicken. Now we alternate between duck and salmon. And they both do great on it.
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Meredith can you tell me if there's rice in the puppy formula and is the kibble very small? Evie's 6 months old and still having poop issues & she's a gulper too so i'm concerned if the food is very small she won't chew a bit of it. Still trying to find the right fit for her tummy.

Also, when can you make the switch to the regular Wilderness formula? Ghost is adorable BTW!!!!
Back to top Go down
hillarycole
Puppy
Puppy
hillarycole

Female Join date : 2011-07-21

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Jill,

One thing you can do about her inhaling the food is put some warm water in it and let it sit for a few minutes before feeding her. This will soften it up and also helps their digestion when dogs gulp their food down.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Jill,
Thanks! The Blue Wilderness is totally grain free, even with the puppy formula. The kibble is pretty small, but I've noticed Ghost doesn't gobble on the Wilderness like she did on other stuff. Not sure if its the food or some other factor that made her slow down, but we were thinking about dropping a ball in her dish for a while, just to make her slow down. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Blue Wilderness 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 3:33 pm

JillC wrote:
Meredith can you tell me if there's rice in the puppy formula and is the kibble very small? Evie's 6 months old and still having poop issues & she's a gulper too so i'm concerned if the food is very small she won't chew a bit of it. Still trying to find the right fit for her tummy.

Also, when can you make the switch to the regular Wilderness formula? Ghost is adorable BTW!!!!

Feed her on a cookie baking pan. It'll slide around so much that she will only get small amounts at a time. Or maybe feed her meals in a twist & treat (also stimulating!).

You shouldn't switch to an adult food til a year or so Smile
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks ladies! I was moistening Evie's food all along until just recently to see if she might chew it if was dry. She does chew it more dry than wet. I think it was easier for her to lap up big mouthfuls when it was wet. People think i'm nuts because I put a big rock in her dish for her to eat around now and last night i put dinner in a muffin tray. I don't think she was amused, but it does slow her down a bit. Can't be good to be swallowing all that food whole! Byproduct of having to fend for herself at the breeders in a huge pan full of food and other hungry puppies I guess Sad

If TOTW doesn't work out, I may give Blue Wilderness puppy a shot.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Neo loved the Blue! I know I shouldnt have switched him so fast, but I decided yesterday that i was not going to buy another bag of the food he came with to switch him with, and the vet said after the initial tummy shock he should be ok. I mixed a can of the wet food with a can scoop of dry food, and he gobbled it up like he was starving. His poop was a littel softer this morning, but I am keeping an eye out. Im not sure exactly how filling it was, as first thing this morning he was staring at his food bowl crying, so I gave him another can of the dry, and tonight I will feed him the mix again. He is a little on the thin side, and I am hoping the better food will put some weight on him. His old owner was feeding him Beneful, and peices of pizza and chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Anything has to be better than that!
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 2:47 pm

I too have fed Blue Wilderness to dog's I've had in the past and they've all done great! I even had Drogo on it for awhile before switching to raw. His stool was somewhat soft at the beginning, probably because he was switched cold turkey. He was eating Pedigree when I first got him and I just couldn't stand the thought of allowing him to eat that garbage during a transitional period.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blue Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Wilderness   Blue Wilderness Empty

Back to top Go down

Blue Wilderness

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1