It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Collar or Harness?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CrazyDogs
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-06-03

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Should I be using a collar or harness for Ghost? I was told that it would be better to use a harness because huskys love to pull. Could I still teach him not to pull on walks but it's ok to pull other times if I used just a harness or would that be too confusing?
Back to top Go down
Loves2Share
Newborn
Newborn
Loves2Share

Female Join date : 2011-07-03

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 8:22 pm

I use a harness on Niko, and he doesn't pull at all. It's all he's ever known with us. The reason he uses a harness is b/c I'm terrified he will slip out of a collar and be lost. We researched huskies a lot before getting him and, since he came to us after being found on the side of the road, I didn't want to risk it.

My husband plans to do bikjoring with him, and when/if we do that, we'll probably get a different harness so that he knows when he can pull and when he can't. Smile Hope that helps. ...and we've only had him for 2 months, so I'm sure others can give you more reliable info (and maybe criticize what I'm plotting...).
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 8:31 pm

I use a harness for the seat belt. Stormy doesn't pull much at all on either a collar or harness, but I let him explore a little more when I clip him in the harness for my own reasons. I want him to know that there is a difference and I can grab him better with the harness if he explores where he shouldn't.
Back to top Go down
Loves2Share
Newborn
Newborn
Loves2Share

Female Join date : 2011-07-03

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Pictures of Niko's harness:

Collar or Harness? Img_2710 <--- that's actually from his 1st walk when we first brought him home!!

It's reflective (for safety):
Collar or Harness? Img_2910

The "print":
Collar or Harness? Imag0616

I think it was $25 at Petsmart. The Husky/Golden Retriever in our building has the same print, but in a 1" collar. Smile

But he roams the house "naked" now... He only "gets dressed" when we are about to go outside.

Hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Oh and Stormy not only has no shame, but he stays naked in the house also. He has a turquoise Kong harness. It has a metal closure instead of plastic which is cool. I love how he looks in that color, but it is hard to find anything else in that color.
Back to top Go down
CrazyDogs
Puppy
Puppy

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks guys. I think we'll primarily use a harness and like Allison suggested we'll get a different harness for when/if we start bikejoring or pulling. My kids would love to be pulled around during the winter, but that won't happen this year with Ghost. I'll have to take a look around at petco/petsmart this week and see what their options are.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Ideally I would have liked to use a harness on my 2, but GEEZ THEY ARE BOTH PULLERS!! No way I can walk them with a harness Evil or Very Mad I only use the harness when we go bike riding with the walky dog or when they're going somewhere in the car so that I can attach them to the Kurgo Line (they have the Kurgo harness that came with the Kurgo line).

Like this: http://www.kurgostore.com/products/Auto-Zip%252dLine-%E2%80%94-with-Tru%252dFit-Smart-Harness.html
Back to top Go down

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 9:45 pm

My dogs never pull me and they only are walked on harnesses. Koda will only pull if I prompt him to start running. I would never walk on collars, especially if you have pullers (unless you use prongs I suppose, I've never used one on my dogs personally so I can't comment, but obviously they are sturdier than a collar with a belt loop or belt buckle)- I have had collars unbuckle and ensued on a chase at 8AM on a weekday morning during traffic. Though I now have a collar with a completely metal latch that is nearly impossible to incidently latch open and my leash is a hiking clip that has a little screw you twist down to lock- but I still only use this on quick potty breaks or if we're going to someone's house, the park, etc. I don't like applying pressure on their tracheas.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 9:57 pm

Yep, I have the prong collars for them. I would never walk them on a normal collar since I'm almost certain it will snap and I'm not willing to take that chance. I know that many people don't like the prongs, but I'm sorry...it works. It doesn't hurt them (i've had hubby put the prongs on me and push as hard as he can and it doesn't hurt...just puts pressure). It's either that or no walks because there is no way I can deal with them on a harness Sad

Heather, your 2 are heaven sent for not being pullers! lol!
Back to top Go down

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 10:05 pm

I walk them both in my boot, no issues! Lol! Koda has been such a good boy, he pulled for maybe 2 months from 4-6 months but that was it. I'm so thankful he walks really loose and stops when I need him to and everything, otherwise this "trying to ease back into moving around regularly" with walks would be a hot mess! Hoping Rogue will stay good but she is so calm and follows Koda so I'm not worried.

I fully believe in dogs wearing prongs who can't otherwise walk nicely, only thing annoying is 90% of the people I meet have them completely fitted wrong and hanging at the base of the neck.. "it's not working," yeah because you aren't doing it right! Probably the most annoying thing at work. And the easy walk harnesses that made it very UNEASY to walk a crazy dog, lol.
Back to top Go down
CrazyDogs
Puppy
Puppy

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 10:25 pm

I'll most likely buy him a martingale collar also to keep his tags on (the ones I buy slip over the head and don't have a buckle-have had too many buckles break w/Demon) for when he's running around the yard or for when I start taking Ghost to the dog park.
Back to top Go down

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 11:18 pm

Do NOT put a martingale on for yard/at home or dog park visits. It shouldn't be a concern for your dog to "break out of their collar" when free running as you shouldn't have them on a leash. If you are paranoid about it while walking down to the park, get a slip lead. You want something you can easily unbuckle because your dogs may be playing, or another dog at the park may be playing, and since dogs like to neck-play a lot, especially huskies, their teeth can get stuck in the other's collar and it can turn into a blood bath if you can't quickly release it. Back in AZ I never had Koda wear collars at the park(thankfully my boy is good about the gate and I stood by it anyway just incase I needed to lecture someone on shutting it/not keeping both open). I have had a dog get stuck on Koda's collar and it was a collar with no buckle by Ruffwear and the other dog EXTREMELY hurt (it was at a daycare) and Koda got damage too because they couldn't get it off and Koda was freaking out from being choked. Another member had the same incident at home and I know several others as well.
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 11:32 pm

the martingale collars work GREAT i've used one on all of my dogs. but heathers advice is true, don't leave them unattended in one around the house or anywhere they could get in trouble or stuck on something!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 11:34 pm

OMG LET'S NOT EVEN GET INTO THIS SUBJECT!!! Heather, if you recall, when we had Kody for about a month they were playing and Myas teeth got stuck to Kody's collar. That was horrible!!! I ended up with bites and scratches all over my hand! Mya had a big scratch under eye from Kody and he almost choked to death. Not even kidding! Unfortunately, at the time we didn't have quick release collars. After that incident we have quick release collars BUT they do NOT WEAR THEM IN THE HOUSE! I go on the mission of putting the collars on before they go in the yard and taking them off when they com back inside.

That was the worst experience ever and I don't wish it on anybody! Sad
Back to top Go down

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 12:19 am

Exactly. Indoors, in the yard, and at parks, a quick release collar should ALWAYS be used if you insist on having a collar on (which most do for obvious reasons). If you use a martingale it should ONLY be put on when you plan on walking out that door.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 9:37 am

When they were puppies I used a harness until they were around 6 months old or so and then put them on regular collars. I didn't want to put any pressure around their necks. While they were in harnesses I did teach them to loose leash walk (but of course that's difficult with any Husky) so I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be putting pressure on their necks or trach where it could hurt or cause any damage.

The issue with harnesses is people who put them in harnesses so they won't pull. That doesn't make sense. Harnesses make it easier to pull. But if you are working on loose leash walking it's fine. It's just the people who think putting a harness on a dog will stop the pulling... that's silly and counter productive lol

Most of the time I just walk mine on their regular Dublin Dog collars but they also each have martingales when they're running around naked and I don't feel like hunting down the collars to go some place.

I see people ALL the time at the dog park with prong collars on. Some are really loose and some are actually fitted correctly... but either way the dogs are running around with them on! I try to tell people but most of the time they brush me off like i'm the idiot. Mad

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 10:10 am

arooroomom wrote:

I see people ALL the time at the dog park with prong collars on. Some are really loose and some are actually fitted correctly... but either way the dogs are running around with them on! I try to tell people but most of the time they brush me off like i'm the idiot. Mad

They leave the prong collars on?!? Some people are TOTAL MORONS...I SWEAR!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 3:30 pm

We use harnesses for walking, always. The only time I ever walk mine on collars is when it's a short trip from the house to the car and from the car to the dog park.

Our boy was a puller when we adopted him. I trained him not to pull in his normal walking harness. We also have a different harness, an x-back harness, that he IS allowed to pull in. So yes, it is possible to train them not to pull in harness and to differentiate between which harness they are allowed to pull in and which they are not. It takes a lot of time and patience but it's well worth it in the long run.

Not to lessen Heather's warning about martingale collars, but I will slightly disagree on their use. My sibe wears a martingale at all times during the day (it comes off at night) with his tags on it. He's been wearing martingale's for YEARS all day, every day at home with and without supervision, at dog parks, when he plays with other dogs at gatherings, etc. We have NEVER EVER had a problem or even the slightest issue in all the years he's been wearing them. I understand the risk and to me it's worth having the security of a martingale at all times. I've never been a fan of quick release collars, they're just not reliable enough for me. Even before switching over to a martingale I used a buckle collar and never had an issue with that either. Just saying, there's risks with everything and two sides to every story. You will find plenty of horror stories related to both martingales and quick release collars. By the same token you'll also find plenty of success stories with both martingales and quick release collars. Just be aware of the risks pointed out by Heather and Melissa, they ARE very valid points. But also know that a lot of people can and do use martingales without issue, myself being a case in point. I'm a huge martingale fan and have no intentions of changing anytime soon. Smile

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 9:17 pm

MelissaI wrote:
arooroomom wrote:

They leave the prong collars on?!?

If the owners would read the park rules I tend to think most would prohibit the use of prong and/or spiked collars. I've only been to a few but each one had those rules to prevent injuries.
Back to top Go down
CrazyDogs
Puppy
Puppy

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 10:02 pm

I understand the risk of using one. But like you Valerie, I am also a huge fan of them and I never leave them unattended (especially outside or playing) with them on. If for some reason I can't watch them I take them off and they get crated. I've also used them on every dog I've had and every dog we've fostered and I've not yet had a problem with them. It may happen one day and I might change my mind, but like I said before, I've had too many buckle collars bust and the metal tooth on the belt type collars bend. Also, at the dog parks here the dogs HAVE to have a collar with their rabies and their license tags on them, it is strictly enforced.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Collar or Harness? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collar or Harness?   Collar or Harness? Empty

Back to top Go down

Collar or Harness?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1