It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

feeding amount

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 9:50 am

hey to all !

so im feeding my three months old , siberian husky about 60grams , three times a day ... is that ok ?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 11:02 am

We need a little more information than that. Smile What food are you feeding? And do you know what grams equates to in cups?

feeding amount  Hailey10
Back to top Go down

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 11:12 am

Grams are really hard to convert into cups technically speaking because they take weight of what you're measuring into account.. I think the "average" is 1 cup = 200 grams.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 11:45 am

Grams are better converted to ounces. 60 grams = about 2 oz.

Are there 4 oz in a dry cup.... or 8 oz??

This is crazy... we Americans should have converted to the metric system back in the '70's!! We're just a bunch of wimps... study
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:23 pm

It's actually variable for dry stuff, depending on the density of the stuff being measured. So, 60 grams might actually be a cup depending on the food. I'd say it's probably more like half a cup, but I can't say without a scale (which I don't have).

That being said, I completely agree with Lisa on conversion. Metric is SO much easier!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

feeding amount  85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 1:58 pm

8 oz = 1 cup

Newborn
Newborn
loona

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 pm

i dont know your measures ... on my bag it says , dogs up to 3-10 kg , three months old , 155 grams per 24 hours . but when i put 50 grams in her bowl , it seems so small ...

and one more thing . today she had lighter poop ... and its soft , i dont know how to say it exactly ... soft lightbrown poop ... yeah XD so i dont know where that came from
Back to top Go down
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 2:27 pm

diarrhea !
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Feeding too much can cause diarrhea. I have always feed less than the recommended amount on the bag.
Back to top Go down
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 2:48 pm

ive actually feed her more when she was younger ... ive been feeding her by the food bag standards and its not too much i think
Back to top Go down
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 5:28 am

hey so how much should i feed her ? :/
when i feed her abput 200 - 250 grams per day she seems she wants more after every meal and i want help because obviously i dont want her to be hungry ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:41 am

Again, we need to know what kind of food you are feeding her. Food qualities drastically change the amount of food you should be feeding her.

feeding amount  Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:50 am

I don't understand your measurements either. Crying or Very sad

I also don't understand just how much you are feeding her. The first post said 60 grams 3 times per day... that's 180 grams. This last post says she's still hungry after 200-250 grams per day.

A gram is a weight of measurement equivalent to our American pounds. Most of us measure our food by "cup" a cup is 8 liquid ounces even though we feed dry food. Neutral

All of this makes no sense, I know, because it makes no sense to me either. The number of ounces in a dry cup and a liquid cup are not the same. I even "googled" the question and am still confused...

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:32 am

loona wrote:
hey so how much should i feed her ? :/
when i feed her abput 200 - 250 grams per day she seems she wants more after every meal and i want help because obviously i dont want her to be hungry ! Very Happy

200-250 grames = approximately 7-8.5 ounces = approximately 1 cup

If we convert grams to ounces (for us Americans to understand somewhat the amount of food you are feeding), that roughly equates to about 1 cup of dry measure, give or take some because we're comparing weight to volume.

The info we will need from you to help you figure out how much you should be feeding:

1) What are you feeding? Please tell us if it's dry, kibble dog food, and the brand.
2) How often are you feeding? 2x a day?
3) How old is your pup?
4) How much does your pup weight?

This should help us help you figure out if you're feeding enough or not.

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Okay...I just measured Sabaka's food with my digital kitchen scale and 1 cup = 4.25 ounces. Claudia, you are right to say 1 cup = 8 ounces of something liquid by dry is different because of the density (like a cup of cheese puffs would not weigh much at all).

So, everytime Loona is fed 60 grams, she is being fed 2 ounces or about 1/2 cup, I think....

Now 1/2 cup 3 times per day would probably be okay for a small puppy, so we must now wait for the answers to Claudia's questions:

1) What are you feeding? Please tell us if it's dry, kibble dog food, and the brand.
2) How often are you feeding? 2x a day?
3) How old is your pup?
4) How much does your pup weight?

Back to top Go down

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Most of the questions he answered. His dog is 3 months old and weighs between 7-22lbs(3 month old male husky we can probably assume about 18ish lbs). He was feeding 60grams three times a day.

The question of what brand you are feeding also.. is it a puppy food?
Don't most puppies get more than an adult would of most foods? Rogue has only been fed THK and Ziwipeak so I'm not sure how much kibble she'd get as a puppy, and Koda got on raw pretty quick as a pup so I don't remember.

Though I usually don't say "consult your vet," but since it's harder to do this in sort of a foreign way since grams and cups are a pain to compare to eachother, I would call your vet and discuss how much food she is getting if you are worried.
Back to top Go down
loona
Newborn
Newborn
loona

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 3:38 pm

thank for replyes .
yes its dry food for small dogs ... and i give her more than recommended because when i put those 50 grams in her bowl it seems so small ... so she eats about 80 x 3 grams per day , its about 250 grams everyday of dry food for puppyes . on my bag of food there is labrador on the picture so i think that is close enough for my husky puppie ... ? Smile
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 3:49 pm

We based Appa's intake by how he looked and felt. The rib test has been our tool. If he's not too skinny or too fat he must be getting the right amount!

I think every dog is different and has a different metabolism, factor in energy level, temperature, exercise you provide, and it's too hard to say "this is the right amount."
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 3:53 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
Okay...I just measured Sabaka's food with my digital kitchen scale and 1 cup = 4.25 ounces. Claudia, you are right to say 1 cup = 8 ounces of something liquid by dry is different because of the density (like a cup of cheese puffs would not weigh much at all).
Agreed! It's hard to convert when you're measuring differently (weight vs. volume)!

I wouldn't go by a picture on the dog food bag to figure if it's OK for a puppy or not....

Ms. Amicable
Koda

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 4:05 pm

loona wrote:
thank for replyes .
yes its dry food for small dogs ... and i give her more than recommended because when i put those 50 grams in her bowl it seems so small ... so she eats about 80 x 3 grams per day , its about 250 grams everyday of dry food for puppyes . on my bag of food there is labrador on the picture so i think that is close enough for my husky puppie ... ? Smile
I'm not trying to be mean, but can you give us the NAME of the food you are feeding her? We could give you a proper answer in about 30 seconds if we could look up the food you are using. The reason "small dog food" doesn't help is that every brand whether quality or not likely has a small breed puppy and large breed puppy. I know you are in Europe, but there are a lot of brands that are also over here. We can help you, just tell us specifics. What's the name of the food you are feeding her?

feeding amount  Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:27 pm

Try this one out:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:30 pm

On the back of the Orijen dry food bag it says that 1 cup = 120grams so you're feeding her 1/2 cup (60 grams) 3 times a day. The food portions are in KG on the Orijen bag as well as in cups. So, she's getting 1 1/2 cups (or 180grams) of dry food daily. How old is loona again?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 9:16 pm

MelissaI wrote:
On the back of the Orijen dry food bag it says that 1 cup = 120grams so you're feeding her 1/2 cup (60 grams) 3 times a day. The food portions are in KG on the Orijen bag as well as in cups. So, she's getting 1 1/2 cups (or 180grams) of dry food daily. How old is loona again?
Did the OP say Orijen? Did I miss this?

feeding amount  Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 9:22 pm

No, he didn't mention Orjien, but I know that the back of the bag has the food portions in grams as well so I looked at it for an idea as to how much 60grams is. Dry food is dry food so I'm assuming it's the same thing?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 11:37 pm

In weight it most likely would be. I don't think the density differs THAT much among dry foods, but it will most definitely make a difference depending on the quality of the food. While 3 cups a day of Orijen Puppy might be more than sufficient, 3 cups of Royal Canine (for instance) would not nearly be enough. As a higher quality food, Orijen contains enough of the "right stuff" to be nutritionally valuable at a smaller quantity. A food like Royal Canine contains mostly fillers and less of the more needed nutrients.

So... the OP's question is really dependent on what type of food Loona is being fed.

feeding amount  Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

feeding amount  Empty
PostSubject: Re: feeding amount    feeding amount  Empty

Back to top Go down

feeding amount

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next