It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Flea's TREATMENT'S

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea's TREATMENT'S   Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 9:23 am

Last evening I pulled a few of those little suckers off of Frankie, both dead and alive. Is the fact that they are coming to surface a good sign, does this mean the Capstar is working?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Flea's TREATMENT'S   Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Pulling off dead ones is definitely a good sign!

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Flea's TREATMENT'S   Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 4:21 pm

2nd day I haven't found any fleas!!!!! Very Happy
Thanks for all of the input.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Flea's TREATMENT'S   Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 4:22 pm

Thank goodness, that's the kind of news we want to hear!

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Flea's TREATMENT'S   Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Please excuse me while I go off for a minute........

*($#@%^$@%*.............I am so mad right now I am on the verge of tears. I posted yesterday in the ACV thread that I didn't find any fleas, but today I found several. I have been checking him thoroughly every day for any sign using a flea comb and all. So you can imagine how time consuming that is with a husky. I am so upset over this. I am in the process of bombing my entire surroundings because I have no idea where they are coming from. I am at my witts end and I am losing my friggin mind.
Thanks for letting me vent, off to buy more cleaning products and all new bedding
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Flea's TREATMENT'S   Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 3:45 pm

Sorry to hear you're still battling fleas. Sad

Are you using any chemical flea prevention that kills ALL life stages? Actually just to clear things up, what all are you doing for Frankie with regard to flea prevention?

There are more things that you can do both chemically and other more natural methods of control that you can combine as well. Have you tried using food grade diatomaceous earth in the yard, carpet and Frankie's coat? Will he tolerate you spraying his coat with a 50/50 ACV/Water mixture?

Also I know you said that he doesn't like the essential oil spray, so would he tolerate it if you put a bit of essential oils on his beds and in areas that he normally goes?

Since Frankie seems to have FAD and is struggling with this it might be a good idea to combine both chemical and non-chemical prevention.

I'm so sorry you and Frankie are going through this, I know it is a huge pain!

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Flea's TREATMENT'S   Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Here's what we have done so far since the last episode.....
-2 Capstar treatments each for both dogs
-Treated the yard with professional chemicals (my dad gets the professional ones from work)
-washed all bedding etc, just to be safe even though crazy vet said not to worry
- added ACV 3-4x/week to food
- bath with natural chemisry flea shampoo followed by earth bath tea tree oil and aloe shampoo (I have bathed him this was since I had him)
-still using sentinel, but I added a topical flea treatment too (ultra guard or something, but I may need to look into a new brand) just added this week
- alternating between epi-pet skin treatment spray (lavender scented) that is suppose to repel and kill fleas as well as treat irritated skin and ACV 50/50 spray- Frankie hates both but is tolerating it
-Daily brushing and flea checks
-Frankie also swims in the pool with a salt water system so gets treated/sprayed upon drying to prevent dry skin and replace what was washed off. He went swimming on Sunday since his skin was clear. It's his favorite thing in the whole world and killed him when he couldn't go in.
- I am looking at different carpet/furniture treatments now. Thank goodness we have mostly tile throughout the house and only carpet in two bedrooms.
I am willing to try any combo at this point. Thanks for letting me get out my frustration
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Flea's TREATMENT'S   Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 8:10 am

Wow, with all you're doing you would think fleas would not be a problem. I wouldn't put my faith in anything put out by Hartz (Ultra Guard).

Sentinel only stops the development of flea eggs so you might want to consider switching to something else but that would probably require doing separate flea and heartworm prevention. I would look into a chemical flea product that kills several flea life cycles at the very least, not just eggs and not just adult fleas.

Some common topicals and what flea life cycles they protect against:

Frontline kills adult fleas only.
Frontline Plus kills adult fleas, flea larvae, and flea eggs.
Advantage II AND Advantix II both kill adult fleas, flea larvae, and flea eggs.
Bio-Spot kills adult fleas.
Bio-Spot Defense kills adult fleas, flea larvae, and flea eggs.

The bolded products listed above kill the entire flea life cycle.

Hartz UltraGuard Pro does claim to kill the entire flea life cycle. It may or may not be worth using, I just tend to be wary of Hartz products in general.

Food grade diatomaceous earth is a safe flea repellent that can be spread in the yard, sprinkled on the carpet and vacuumed up, and even put on the dogs coat (sprinkled on and rubbed in).

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Flea's TREATMENT'S   Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 7:57 pm

I know I went a little overboard. Besides his allergy, it totally grosses me out. I treated the house with Bio Spot yesterday and washed all of my son's stuffed animals too, just in case.

I am going to switch from the sentinel. I don't mind separate treatments, the problem is that my vet wouldn't give it to me.
So I have some referrals for new vets that I am setting up appointments with.
Can I just buy Frontline and heartworm meds without a script? I am very weary of the ultra guard too, but it was kind of a panic moment and that was cheap and readily available.

I really do appreciate your support. Most people think that I am just nuts and don't see what the big deal is. But for one it really does gross me out, two-Frankie is miserable, and three- it's really affecting everything we do. We have not been to the nursing home in over a month because I can't bring him with fleas and/or open wounds. Most people just say shave him, but I am determined to conquer this.
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Flea's TREATMENT'S   Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Dee&Frankie wrote:
I am going to switch from the sentinel. I don't mind separate treatments, the problem is that my vet wouldn't give it to me.
So I have some referrals for new vets that I am setting up appointments with.
Can I just buy Frontline and heartworm meds without a script?.

Frontline does not require a prescription but all heartworm meds do. So it is just a matter of getting a prescription for HW prevention. Most new vets will require another blood test be done though. I can't believe your vet wouldn't give you any other HW meds! I always call and drill any prospective vet offices about my options for HW pills before even setting up my first appt with them. I've had vets in the past who would only write a script for certain stuff which has lead me to drill any and all future vets about HW meds. It stinks that a few bad apples have lead to my sounding completely crazy when I am talking to a prospective new vet office.

Dee&Frankie wrote:
Most people think that I am just nuts and don't see what the big deal is. But for one it really does gross me out, two-Frankie is miserable, and three- it's really affecting everything we do. We have not been to the nursing home in over a month because I can't bring him with fleas and/or open wounds. Most people just say shave him, but I am determined to conquer this.

I get it, I really do. Most people are not into their pets as much as we are and really, most people don't have dogs with FAD which is a whole different ball game. If the average dog gets fleas it's not such a big deal, they apply some product and problem solved. If a dog with FAD gets bit it's totally different and most people just don't understand what you go through. I've been fortunate enough to never have had a dog with FAD (so far) but my mother in law did and I saw first hand how awful it can be and the terrible reactions and misery that the dog can be in from one single bite. I truly do feel for you and don't wish that on anyone. If I had not had experience with my MIL's dog with FAD I seriously would have no idea just how bad it is. You are definitely not over-reacting and I'm glad you're not giving up. I hope things get under control for you soon!

PostSubject: Re: Flea's TREATMENT'S   Flea's TREATMENT'S - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Flea's TREATMENT'S

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2