It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

Female Join date : 2011-11-21

Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! Empty
PostSubject: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:54 pm

[b]

Hey guys, my name is Kylie I am new to the forum world and I will just go ahead and say it's a little frustrating. Hopefully it gets easier!

Anyway, let me tell you about my boy.
His name is Finn, he is about a year old (we think) my friend's sister found this handsome guy and knew who he belonged to so she brought him back to his owners... come to find out they no longer wanted him so they just stopped feeding him. (poor thing, how could anyone do such a thing) So my friends sister kept him... they wanted to keep him long term but they already have four other dogs and knew they couldn't afford or give him the attention he needed. They searched for someone to take him in, thanks when my gf Casey told me she had a dog. She saw that we had been looking to get a dog! She showed me a picture and I just fell in love, I had to make sure it was okay with my Boyfriend Matt, and he fell for Finn as well!

Finn, is somewhat trained... potty trained which is an important part for me... I don't mind working with him on manners and things of that nature, because I know that he will be just the pup I would like for him to be!

He is hands down the sweetest dog I have ever met. We are going on two days now and haven't heard him bark once. He does whine a lot, when giving him a bath! He was at first a little shy, but he is warming up pretty quick. We also have at our house a cat, (knuckles my pride and joy) and Finn is amazing with my baby as well as with my roommates dog, dot!

I am so very excited to watch him bud and grow as we get to know one another!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/kylie.sunshinee
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 3:01 pm

Welcome to the forum! What part of Alabama are you in? I'm in the FL panhandle near Pensacola.

Finn is a handsome boy, and good luck with the training Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Kudos to you for rescuing him and giving him a loving forever home! Can wait to see more pictures and hear more stories of your cutie Finn!

Kale and I say HELLOOO form California Cool
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Lainaloo
Teenager
Teenager
Lainaloo

Female Join date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Hello Smile
We are in Alabama too. I wonder if you're close to us.
That's terrible for the people to do that to him but now he has you. Smile I hope things just keep getting better for the both of you!
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/laina.dotson
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:12 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Welcome to the forum! What part of Alabama are you in? I'm in the FL panhandle near Pensacola.

Finn is a handsome boy, and good luck with the training Smile

I am live in Huntsville, originally from Dallas! I love it in the VILLE sooo much better!

Thanks so much, I can see that Finn is indeed a smart boy. He has been catching on pretty quick... :] I am excited to train him, is that weird? Haha I just love to see what a difference in makes in the pups! Some dogs can be stubborn for sure and Finn has his moments, but he understands and catches on well! Lucky us!
Back to top Go down
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:16 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Kudos to you for rescuing him and giving him a loving forever home! Can wait to see more pictures and hear more stories of your cutie Finn!

Kale and I say HELLOOO form California Cool

Thank you so much, I feel so privileged to be able top have such a sweet loving rescue puppy! We most definitely hit the jack pot with this guy. I kinda of have this thing for saving babies. My cat, who has six toes on each front paw was saved! He is the most handsome guy there is... and he is not much of a cat, more like a dog! I love it! I am sure that Finn and Knuckles will be best friends before long!

I love Kale's name, I was thinking of naming Finn that at first, I love it's meaning, but of course when naming a pup you have to make sure both parties agree! Matt wasn't so fond of it! But Finn fits our boy, so I am happy we went with that one!

Kale is a beautiful pup!
Back to top Go down
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:19 pm

Lainaloo wrote:
Hello Smile
We are in Alabama too. I wonder if you're close to us.
That's terrible for the people to do that to him but now he has you. Smile I hope things just keep getting better for the both of you!

Hey there Laina, I live in Huntsville! What part are you from?

I know I just couldn't believe that they no longer wanted such a good looking boy, and I honestly have no clue why they would throw him out, he is so well behaved. I will say he is ADD sometimes, but I love his fun personality. I can see it coming out more and more!

I know that with lots and lots of work he will be a good listener and even more well mannered that he already is!

Back to top Go down
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! 377950_306880239331333_100000280794483_1159017_267633844_n

Here is my baby boy, those eyes just melt my heart! <3
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Oh goodness look at those eyes!!! He's gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:13 pm

MelissaI wrote:

Thank you soooo much... Those eyes of his are just mesmerizing, can't help but want to stare at him all day long.
He is momma's handsome boy, I am counting my blessings because we have been looking for a sweet loving pup for our little family. My boyfriend and I have been searching and searching.... The good lord blessed us with this guy, who was in need of a good loving home! We have had him for two days now and he already loves us!

I have noticed that he has some separation anxiety, already! Poor thing, I just feel so bad leaving him, but as an adult I have duties to fulfill!

Your babies are gorgeous, how old are they?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:22 pm

kyliesunshine wrote:
MelissaI wrote:

Thank you soooo much... Those eyes of his are just mesmerizing, can't help but want to stare at him all day long.
He is momma's handsome boy, I am counting my blessings because we have been looking for a sweet loving pup for our little family. My boyfriend and I have been searching and searching.... The good lord blessed us with this guy, who was in need of a good loving home! We have had him for two days now and he already loves us!

I have noticed that he has some separation anxiety, already! Poor thing, I just feel so bad leaving him, but as an adult I have duties to fulfill!

Your babies are gorgeous, how old are they?

The right one always comes long when you least expect it Smile

Mya had bad separation anxiety for a while. She broke the plastic bottom of her crate and tore into pieces. Then we would get home to the entire side of her face being soaking wet in drool and pink from her trying to dig out of the crate. Not the mention the times that we got home and she was covered in poop Rolling Eyes This was when her crate was in the living room. One day we decided to move it into our bedroom and that really helped! Plus, we started leaving the TV on and left her with her Kong. She's not crated anymore since she's over it, but she was crated until she was about 3 1/2 years old. Kody never has had separation anxiety, but that's because Mya is in the same room as his crate and he's not alone. Maybe if you do the same that might work? Where is his crate now?

Kody's 1 year old and Mya's 5 1/2 years old.
Back to top Go down
Lainaloo
Teenager
Teenager
Lainaloo

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:37 pm

Oh my gosh you're right by us! We pass through Huntsville on our way back up to Enterprise. We should definitely meet up. Smile there's an awesome park right by me and a dog park on post (ft Rucker)
Back to top Go down
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:46 pm

@ Laina, that would be great! We will most definitely have to have a little puppy play date! I want to make sure that Finn, listens well before I start taking him to dog parks and places outside the home first... He has a baaaad case of selective hearing, and he hasn't quite learned his name yet!

I want to make sure that is he were to run off he would come back with my whistle or call!
I am hoping that before long this wont be an issue... I know it scares me to death to open the front door during the day because he is just itching to go out in the front, be we live on a VERY busy road, and don't have much of a front yard!

But I am looking forward to introducing him to new friends! He is however great with other pups and cats too! Which is such a relief!
How old is your puppy, they are both gorgeous btw!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:08 pm

welcome to the forum. Your baby is so adorable. I am so glad you decided to rescue him. He will give you so much love for that.
They are a very stubborn breed, so training may take a bit at times becasue they seem to need a purpose in their mind to be trained.
I would definately watch him with the door, because no matter how much you train a husky they will run.
Can't wait to see home pictures. Smile
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Welcome! Finn is a gorgeous boy!

Having been a husky owner for a long time, I would encourage you to be careful to teach Finn to "sit" and "wait" at the door and then give him permission to exit as opposed to relying on him coming back once he has a taste of freedom. I often say that if given the chance these huskies will head to Canada and never look back!

As you are already noticing, huskies are very intellegent dogs and will quickly learn anything that they choose to learn.

I am so glad to hear that you and Finn are enjoying each other! You are in for a FUN and CRAZY ride!!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:27 pm

kyliesunshine wrote:
I am live in Huntsville, originally from Dallas! I love it in the VILLE sooo much better!

I freakin LOVE Huntsville! I haven't been there since I was in high school, but I went to Space Camp like every year growing up (yes, I'm a nerd. Feel free to make fun, everyone!)

I'd take Huntsville over Dallas any day too. I was stationed in Oklahoma City for the last 4 years, so I was in and out of Dallas quite a bit. OKC wasn't too bad, just really hot in the summer.

Huntsville is a bit of a hike for us (~6 hours), but I do want to get up there one of these days to visit the Space Center and see how it's grown since 2000. Again, welcome to the forum, and Finn has such beautiful eyes Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:38 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
Welcome! Finn is a gorgeous boy!

Having been a husky owner for a long time, I would encourage you to be careful to teach Finn to "sit" and "wait" at the door and then give him permission to exit as opposed to relying on him coming back once he has a taste of freedom. I often say that if given the chance these huskies will head to Canada and never look back!

As you are already noticing, huskies are very intellegent dogs and will quickly learn anything that they choose to learn.

I am so glad to hear that you and Finn are enjoying each other! You are in for a FUN and CRAZY ride!!

Oh yes, I am a HUGE HUGE fan of the sit and wait.
My ex and I have a German Shepherd, he keeps her because I have our cat, and I used to do the same thing with her! Daffney is now about five, so I have had a few good years of dog training behind me! I know that every animal and breed are different, but so far so good! And I am shocked because he doesn't seem to know much of anything meaning his previous owners never gave him much discipline or structure to go by! I had no idea what his name was, so we renamed him in hopes that he would be able to understand his name... Two days in and so far he makes eye contacts and comes when he is called!

We are having a hard time getting him to sit, sometimes he does good and other times he just has other things on his mind, but he knows that if he doesn't sit he doesn't get a treat or his food until he does what is asked of him.
Back to top Go down
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:53 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
kyliesunshine wrote:

I freakin LOVE Huntsville! I haven't been there since I was in high school, but I went to Space Camp like every year growing up (yes, I'm a nerd. Feel free to make fun, everyone!)

I'd take Huntsville over Dallas any day too. I was stationed in Oklahoma City for the last 4 years, so I was in and out of Dallas quite a bit. OKC wasn't too bad, just really hot in the summer.

Huntsville is a bit of a hike for us (~6 hours), but I do want to get up there one of these days to visit the Space Center and see how it's grown since 2000. Again, welcome to the forum, and Finn has such beautiful eyes Smile

Huntsville is a very neat little place, so many cool places to go here! I live right by Monte Sano so Finn and I will get to do a lot of hiking together, which is very exciting for me, since I am an avid runner! I have never really been a big fan of OKC... Maybe it has something to do with the terrible OU/ Long Horns rivalry... HOOK EM' haha
I am a nerd to, so no judgement was passed. I have always had a thing for astronomy.
Thank you so so very much, his eyes just melt my heart every time. You can see the gentle side of him in his eyes! Such a lovely little man, indeed!
Back to top Go down
Lainaloo
Teenager
Teenager
Lainaloo

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Oh you know what I confused Hartford with Huntsville. Sad I'm dumb and now disappointed that we aren't close enough for a visit.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Welcome! I can't believe his original owners didn't want him! He is lucky to have a good family now. Smile
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:18 pm

I'm glad you found us, and that you rescued Finn.
He's a beautiful boy.
Back to top Go down
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Lainaloo wrote:
Oh you know what I confused Hartford with Huntsville. Sad I'm dumb and now disappointed that we aren't close enough for a visit.

Bummer :/ well if you are ever in town, let me know!
:]
Back to top Go down
KareBear
Teenager
Teenager
KareBear

Female Join date : 2011-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:43 pm

Congrats on your new baby, he's gorgeous! Seems like eyes that pretty might be dangerous, I can only imagine what sort of trouble he can get out of. Wink
Back to top Go down
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Lu&amp;Katsmom wrote:
Welcome! I can't believe his original owners didn't want him! He is lucky to have a good family now. Smile

I know, he's such a wonderful addition to our little family tho! Thank you, we feel just as lucky to have been able to take him! It breaks my heart to know he was all alone for a while, but I am so glad to have him. He gets a lot of love here!
Back to top Go down
kyliesunshine
Puppy
Puppy
kyliesunshine

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 pm

KareBear wrote:
Congrats on your new baby, he's gorgeous! Seems like eyes that pretty might be dangerous, I can only imagine what sort of trouble he can get out of. Wink

Thank you so much! He is a gorgeous boy, I have to agree. We fell in love with him right away! Those eyes do work, lol darn it! But for now he hasn't gotten into much trouble, we shall see hwo fast that changes. :]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!   Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here! Empty

Back to top Go down

Finally, catching a break with this thing! New husky owner, here!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-