It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Problems with Luka

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 8:29 am

Hi all,

I know its been less than a week since i've had him but these last couple of days - every day seems to be a power struggle with him - he is biting at me & not listening to commands i know he knows... We fall out on a regular basis and he gets a smack every time he goes over the top with his teeth...

I just don't get what i'm doing wrong...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Erinc.
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 10:33 am

Puppies can play rough and be mouthy. When he bites, stop playing, get up and leave the area. Remain calm. He will learn that when he bites he gets no attention from you. Be consistent with your response and understand that this will take time. You may want to put him in his crate or another room. Be sure he is given appropriate toys to chew on and encourage their use. Smacking him is negative reinforcement and generally creates additional problems. Praise him a lot when he is playing appropriately. Good luck to you.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 11:28 am

beck3465 wrote:
Smacking him is negative reinforcement and generally creates additional problems. Praise him a lot when he is playing appropriately. Good luck to you.

Agreed! Smacking him is negative reinforcement and might cause him to lash out more towards you. If he's biting your hands you can also try closing his mouth shut (firmly, but hard) and give him a firm NO! That or scream "OUCH OUCH OUCH" really loud. It's just a matter of what works for you and your puppy. Being first time puppy owner you're going to encounter a lot things in which you have no idea what to do, but we're here to help. They're VERY SMART so they pick up on things quickly. They're also VERY STUBBORN so it might take a while for him to listen to you (even though he knows exactly what you're asking of him). The main thing is to try and remain calm. I know, it's very hard, but just try your best. Good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 12:05 pm

definately dont smack him. make sure you are taking him on a good walk to wear him out. Even negative behavior gets attention and that is what he is looking for. You want to let him know when it is time to play and not.
I know we all get tired but they need a ton of attention.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 2:07 pm

These are normal problems with such a young pup. Best thing to do is screech OUCH! And leave the room, preferably closing the door behind you. It's going to take a while, it really is. If you're playing with him and he starts that stand up and ignore him until he does something else (anything at this point-as long as he's not ripping your pant leg up or chewing your shoe) as soon as he's doing something that isn't naughty shove a toy in his mouth (ropes are easy at this stage) and make that the most fun thing ever. If he goes for you again stand up and take the toy with you. If he doesn't stop or starts going after your pants/shoes that would be a good time to leave the room.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks for the replies guys - i felt so guilty about falling out with him earlier we've spent most of today rolling around together - sometimes i forget he is only 8 weeks old and that he has a lot to learn - it gets frustrating but i hate seeming my little guy acting timid around me - its almost back to normal now - the whole ouch thing doesn't really work for me - maybe because i can't let out one that is high pitched enough but the closing his mouth thing seems to be doing alright!

Im taking him back to the vets tomorrow as he has had diarrhoea since I've had him and its getting worse - came out like water earlier!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Erinc wrote:

Im taking him back to the vets tomorrow as he has had diarrhoea since I've had him and its getting worse - came out like water earlier!

Good luck with that one, we had the watery poo in the beginning as well. Hopefully it isn't anything serious and is just him adapting to the new environment or something food related.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Problems with Luka 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Oh we had the runny poops when Libby was young and not fully potty trained. I think we only had her a few days. All over the crate when I got home from work. YUCK!!! She ended up having worms and needed to have meds. I freaked out when she threw up a bunch of live worms. so gross. pale It cleared up fast and let her tummy settle and then she was fine.

Has he been to the vet before to get checked out?
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 5:06 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Erinc wrote:

Good luck with that one, we had the watery poo in the beginning as well. Hopefully it isn't anything serious and is just him adapting to the new environment or something food related.

Same with Kody! Had the watery poop for until he was like 5 months! We got him at 12 weeks though. Good luck with that one like Meredith said. It's not easy and gets frustrating! The vet put on antibiotics three times I believe and it would help a tad, but then he would go right back to it. It ended up being food allergies, but it took us so long to figure out what worked for him. Thanks to some of the girls on here I was able to work it out. I knew nothing about doggie nutrition like AT ALL. I've learned a lot since Smile
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 5:42 pm

Im not sure if its the new environment or his food, the breeder had him on the purina from before and told me his stools were fine so providing she isn't fibbing then its either the environment or the fact that he has picked up something thats unsettling his stomach.

Christine, he was at the vets on monday for a full checkup and his first set of shots - he also got his microchip - i can't tell you how hard it was holding him and hearing him let out a squeal - that microchip needle is huge! he was a very brave boy though. The vet said he was in great condition and the runny poo is probably just him adapting to his new environment - it doesn't help probably that he is between houses as i take him to my parents over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 2:01 pm

Don´t smack him, besides of that this can backfire on you when he is older, dogs don´t understand that kind of language. What is important is that for example when it comes to the biting, make sure that everyone that has to do with your dog follows your rules of treating him, ignoring in that case.

Anubis had watery poop alot when he was a pup and there are still moments where he ha sit. The problem is this can have many reasons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Problems with Luka Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with Luka   Problems with Luka Empty

Back to top Go down

Problems with Luka

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-