It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Too Cold?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ScaldedDog
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2011-09-28

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Probably a silly question, but am trying to get an educated answer before giving my two cents worth. The past few days have been colder than usual in my neck of the woods - getting close to single digits at night. Normal lows are lower 30's this time of year.

Anyway, I came across a discussion elsewhere on the topic of keeping your dog outside in this kind of weather. One opinion is no dog should be left out at night in these temps due to it being significantly colder than usual, while the other side claims a husky and other northern breeds it doesn't matter even it is about 20 degrees colder than what they are used to and they would be fine.

I know huskies are able to withstand subzero temperatures, but am wondering if the sudden change I described above would bother them. Doesn't even apply to my situation as my boys sleep inside, but the conversation left me curious.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 6:36 pm

I think the only main concern would be their coat. If the dog is typically indoors, it may not have developed the dense coat that a perpetually outdoor dog would have.

Personally, I'm of the mindset that if it's too cold for us, it's too cold for them, but someone else with more knowledge might be able to shed more light on the subject.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 6:56 pm

My Huskies don't have a coat nearly as dense as those who live in colder climates. I wouldn't leave them outside at night at all as a personal preference but regardless they wouldn't be used to such a big change in temperature and probably wouldn't enjoy it too much.

A Siberian who is born and bred in such cold temperatures probably wouldn't "mind" as much as a Siberian who was used to warmer climates. People like to throw that out a lot "they can withstand blah blah blah temperatures that's what they were bred for" but it comes down to the individual dog and what they've been exposed to. People tell me how "cruel" it is to own Siberians in a sub tropical climate. I'll be sure to tell them how just how cruel it is when I catch them sunbathing on the lawn chairs Cool

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 7:55 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I'll be sure to tell them how just how cruel it is when I catch them sunbathing on the lawn chairs Cool

lol!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 8:14 pm

As far as Sibs go if they are an out door husky and their coat has grown in to withstand the cooler temps at night and they have a CLOSED SHELTER to go into at night that has proper bedding then they would be fine. your talking a bout a 20 degree diff in your night temps right now and im not sure it that is to much to fast or not. we have our huskies as part of our family and they are never left out with out us being home and awake. i think it would really come down to the dog it self and if it has proper shelter in order to stay out at night.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 8:41 pm

I agree with Jenn pretty much. As long as they are accustomed to spending nights in cold temps like the OP is describing and they have shelter along with something to sleep on off the ground (something as simple as straw is fine even) they should be perfectly fine.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I'll be sure to tell them how just how cruel it is when I catch them sunbathing on the lawn chairs Cool

Razz Lots of sunbathing goes on over here! Specifically Mya. She loves it!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm of the mindset every dog is different... but they are still northern breeds... With a surface off the ground and a shelter to kill the wind they will be fine. Perhaps if your dog was used to Florida and you then dropped them into Minnesota winters you might have a problem...

Appa is an inside dog 100%. I wouldn't leave him outside to sleep for other reasons, but he would choose to stay out if we let him.

When we visit our in-laws and he is outside in the backyard he has no desire to come inside. When we try to bring him in at night he gives us this look like we said he can't ever eat food again. He might not have the super thick coat outside dogs have, but he's perfectly comfortable out in the cold and snow without ever growing accustomed to it. Including the nights the other dogs drool has frozen his neck fur into spikes.
Back to top Go down
ScaldedDog
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2011-09-28

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback - all good points.

And Riley, I know that look you described very well myself - it usually happens when it's time to go inside here as well!
Back to top Go down
anarkii
Newborn
Newborn
anarkii

Male Join date : 2011-12-17

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 6:34 pm

I have worked with Siberian Husky dogs in Lapland and they were *always* sleeping outside. Even during lows of up to -50C / -58F. What is more important is that they have some good shelter from the elements like a sturdy doghouse. I guess this is also why Huskies like to dig so much. Ofcourse if you let them they will also huddle together for added warmth and protection.

These dogs were raised like that though, and it's probably wise to let your dogs get used to the cold weather as well. Don't just dump them in there!

So long as there is some protection from the elements for them, and they have time to adjust to the cold weather i think your dogs should be just fine.

I do think that they can easily withstand huge swings in temperature as i've seen huge swings in temp. overnight during my stay in Lapland. It's just that your dogs might not be used to it.
Back to top Go down
Arainais
Puppy
Puppy
Arainais

Female Join date : 2011-12-15

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 1:02 am

Both Zoe and Tasha are outside only doggies, and I think they are happier that way. Zoe is a wooly husky, so she has tons of hair to keep her warm. Tasha has a normal length coat, but it is very dense. Both of them have warm doghouses they could seek shelter in and both of them completely ignore them and choose to sleep outside on the ground. I've seen Zoe sleeping outside in a heavy frost or snow with ice balls in her fur, when she's got a warm insulated doghouse not more than 5 feet away. We've only had Tasha for about a month, but she seems to do the same.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 6:42 am

If Huskies could read they would laugh at the words "to cold" and then conclude that were just silly people.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 9:41 am

If my lab can handle it, I'm sure a husky can. Ill have to post a pic of him shedding his winter fur. And you thought a husky blew its coat.....
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 am

It's funny...because a lot of people here seem to live in the Southern Hemisphere. Very Happy People who say it's cruel are just ignorant. They don't know much about them then.

We did have our crate in the Florida room right. It doesn't get very cold in there, compared to outside. They usually sleep inside with us, but sometimes, they go into their "house" (crate) on their own. I brought it back inside because we have quite a black bear problem around here. Which is just funny to me because we live about 5 minutes away from the beach. LOL

The bears should be hibernating, but just don't want to take a chance!
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 am

I also agree it would be fine if a dog was used to it. A lady I know in WY has a bunch of seld dogs (alaskan husky mixes) and they are kept outside all the time and some of them don't even have as thick of fur as my Elara and some not even as thick as Siku's who has a really thin coat for a sibe IMO!

Too Cold?   Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Sponsored content

Too Cold?   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too Cold?    Too Cold?   Empty

Back to top Go down

Too Cold?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1