It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Today's vet visit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Well, $185 later we're good to go....lol.

Kody got his 3yrs rabies shot and Mya her booster. They scanned Mya's micro chip and it's in the same spot that they placed it in a few months back. They couldn't find Kody's for a few minutes. It's moved all the way down to his right side. It was originally located between his shoulder blades (like it should be). I know that over time they can move locations, but geez it's pretty far from where it should be. That's not good.

I asked about the grass eating issue and he said that it could be a lack of fiber in their diet. He suggested changing them to senior food because it has more fiber, but I'm not doing that. Kody has such a sensitive tummy that I'm not messing with changing his food. Any suggestion on how to add fiber to their diet?

He also prescribed Valium for the trip and said that we could also give them benedryl along with the Valium to make them sleepy. He said that the Valium calms their anxiety, relaxes their muscles, and something else, but I don't remember what. LOL. Since it doesn't make them sleepy he suggested the benedryl, but I don't know about giving them both at the same time scratch

Oh, and I have said how much I love my vet?! He was giving both the furkids tons of kisses and ear scratches and telling them how beautiful they are I love you

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 6:06 pm

You could give him Metamucil every so often to up his fiber. Seriously. Smile

Glad everything went well. Our 3 are scheduled for a vet visit the week after next. Ugh, not looking forward to that bill. Last year it was over $500 for all 3. *sigh*

Edited to add: Oh and chip migration is one of the reasons I don't like microchips and refuse to get my chi girls chipped. I know one dog whose chip ended up in their foot. No

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 8:03 pm

I've seen a few people at the shelter, my mom, and two vets look for microchips in stray dogs. They know they can move and they do check all over to find one.

Today's vet visit Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 10:30 pm

SaraB wrote:
I've seen a few people at the shelter, my mom, and two vets look for microchips in stray dogs. They know they can move and they do check all over to find one.

Yep. Every vet clinic I've worked for check the entire dog or cats body.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 10:37 pm

I wondered if you could do the Benefiber they have out that is supposed to be tasteless powder that can be added to food. Not sure though..just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Man be careful using that added fiber stuff. Most of us here have a hell of a time trying to stop the squirts not make them. affraid
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:06 pm

LOL Len! I know, that's why I was like "Ummmmm fiber to their diet?" haha! A little bit of it can't hurt I guess? This grass eating is really getting on my damn nerves! I had to tie Kody up while we were outside because he just doesn't stop! If it was just the grass then fine, but he's pulling full roots and then having issues pooping them out sometimes. Very frustrating!

As for the microchips, oh thank goodness that they try to check the entire dog! I got them scanned just to make sure they were there before the camping trip and I was shocked to see that Kody's wasn't where it should be. They found it at least Smile
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:09 pm

Lol they usually make a note of the current location in their file as well.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:29 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Lol they usually make a note of the current location in their file as well.

Yeah, I think I saw the vet assistant note that in his file.

I'm just a little concerned that Kody's lost 2lbs since his last visit. He needs to gain a few, not lose! Mya lost 7! That's good for her since she needed to get back down to a healthy weight, but that's enough. She was at 72lbs a year ago and now she's at 47lbs! I wanted her at 50lbs. She looks super healthy and not too skinny at all, but 47lbs seems a bit low. I think it's all of the biking that we've been doing lately. I should up her food intake a bit!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:42 pm

What about adding some dog biscuits that are full of healthy grains? I think I have use the ones by the company By Nature. They are organic and have things like fruits and nuts and flaxseed (and, sadly, ground rice, if your pups have tummy troubles with that). There are others, as well, I just can't remember them now.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Doesn't pumpkin contain a lot of fiber? That should be easy on the tummy.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:48 pm

Pumpkin for fiber! It's awesome and the dogs love it. We started adding a tablespoon full to each meal. It's like Christmas every time they see it!

Frosti's microchip migrated or didn't go in properly the first time - they scanned her all over and couldn't find it. This was months after we got her and I was "what??? The one that runs AWAY has no chip??? Ugh!". We had her rechipped - the benefits outweigh the risks. I want my dog to be safe and be returned to me if anything happens. BTW - most shelters here only do a quick scan on their shoulder blades. Vets usually scan all over.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Pumpkin and sweet potato are both high in fiber, oh and green beans. The later isn't absorbed as well as the first two.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Pumpkin sounds like a plan! I have it on hand all of the time since I do the yogurt mix for their kongs Very Happy I honestly think that it's just habit by now, but it's worth a try. We need to buy LOTS of patches of grass to redo the yard. More than half is just dirt Shocked Not good for pups that run circles back there and then come in the house. Ah!
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 am

So, I hear you guys talk about giving the dogs pumpkin all the time. Is there any special type to get or just regular old pie filling?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 2:47 am

Keimo&Izzi wrote:
So, I hear you guys talk about giving the dogs pumpkin all the time. Is there any special type to get or just regular old pie filling?

Just plain canned pumpkin. Make sure you do not use pie filling, it's got too many additives.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Today's vet visit 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:06 am

My Mira was Chipped ... And it Migrated Out they did full body xray Then gave her Another One ...

Hmm I think Im Gonna Go have her scanned Tomorw <3 !
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:17 am

Can chips that migrate be harmful in any way? I knew there's a possibility of them moving some, but all the way to a foot is a little crazy. I had Evie's done when she was spayed. Will have to get her scanned next time she's in to see if it has moved.

Melissa, do Kody and Mya get sick from eating the grass? Evie does-you'd think they'd learn! She's doing it more now that the ground is snow covered. She's gotta dig to see if it's still under there and the grazing begins Today's vet visit 1625187496
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:47 am

JillC wrote:

Melissa, do Kody and Mya get sick from eating the grass? Evie does-you'd think they'd learn! She's doing it more now that the ground is snow covered. She's gotta dig to see if it's still under there and the grazing begins Today's vet visit 1625187496

No they don't get sick from it, but Kody did have a bit of trouble pooping out a long piece of the root the other day. Sounds gross, but I had to grab a napkin and pull it out for him Today's vet visit 1625187496 Other than that, not really.

We were outside BBQing over the weekend and I had to tie him to my chair. He wouldn't stop for ANYTHING!
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:56 am

blueeyedghost wrote:
Keimo&Izzi wrote:

Just plain canned pumpkin. Make sure you do not use pie filling, it's got too many additives.

I'm glad you told me... I know nothing about Pumpkin. I don't like it myself! :-)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Adding flaxseed can also give them a boost of fiber. Although if they are eating THK I'd have thought they'd be getting plenty of fiber. Flaxseed not only adds fiber but also omega-3 fatty acids so it has a dual benefit, and it's already found in a lot of foods including some of THK's formulas I think.

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:01 pm

If feeding flaxseed be sure to crush, grind or what ever works for you before feeding as the outer coating of it has to be broken in order for it offer nutritional value.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Useful tips about the pumpkin and flaxseed. Thank you! We were going to take Ghost to the vet with constipation today, but wouldn't you know he finally went ten minutes before we were about to set off!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
If feeding flaxseed be sure to crush, grind or what ever works for you before feeding as the outer coating of it has to be broken in order for it offer nutritional value.

That's why I buy milled flaxseed, it's already broken down so it is easily absorbed. You can find it in the baking aisle at the grocery store and it's not expensive at all. I buy mine from Walmart even.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:

That's why I buy milled flaxseed, it's already broken down so it is easily absorbed. You can find it in the baking aisle at the grocery store and it's not expensive at all.

Thanks! I might just alternate between the flaxseed and pumpkin. All I know is that we need a solution. We're going to put the first portion of grass patches down before we leave on the camping trip so that it at least has a few days to settle. Once we get back we have to figure out how to stop them from walking on it for few days and then from eating it! Today's vet visit 85993
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Today's vet visit Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today's vet visit   Today's vet visit Empty

Back to top Go down

Today's vet visit

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next