It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Off leash dog Parks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

Off leash dog Parks Empty
PostSubject: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 2:23 am

At what age do you think a puppy is ready to go to an off leash park?
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 3:04 am

Your puppy has to be completely up-to-date on shots before they can go to the dog park...so I'd say 4 or 5 months...
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 11:13 am

Raven will get her shots next week including the rabies shot. She's 4 months. Even being up to date with shots is the dog park a good place to socialize a puppy?

We go to a puppy class but its very structured, focused on obedience training. The puppies don't/can't interact with eachother at all. Even before class everyone restrains their dogs. I haven't been able to find a puppy play group in the area.

I feel it would be good for her to be able to play with some other dogs. It would help with learning bite inhibition as well as dog social skills. She bites HARD! She's super friendly wants to play with everydog she meets, but she still has lots to learn.
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 11:22 am

i think the answer to that is yes and no. i've been socializing my rat terrier puppy at a dog park because i simply cannot afford puppy classes. he's really benefited from it. on the flip side, if another dog decides he wants to attack your puppy for whatever reason it could be very detrimental to their social health. they could become frightened and especially at this age that can imprint in their brains and be very, VERY difficult to change
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 12:07 pm

Cheyenne has been at the dog park since we got her. As long as you pay close attention and can read body signals and remove the pup before an issue can start, dog parks are great. But if there's a dog who comes in that's already had a few scuffles before he's been in there 5 minutes... probably best to pack up. Generally though we've never had much of an issue at the dog parks with fights. Just depends on where you are and the kind of people come to the individual parks.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
huskies81
Puppy
Puppy
huskies81

Male Join date : 2012-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 12:29 pm

I took Sadie to the dog park way to young. First thing that happened was a girl says oooohhhh my what a cute puppy!! Bends down and starts to pet her and BAM!! This F/N Big ass bull mastiff tries to eat Sadie. Scared the shit out of me and the pup. The girl replies "oh im sorry my boyfriends dog gets super jeloius if i touch another dog" WTF lady!!!! Dont touch my 9 pound dog if you own a 130 lb huge mean dog!!! From there out it was months of working with her due to fear of other dogs. Stay close to your pup when you go, and i personnaly carry a firearm for protection! Its legal here with permits and i will protect my family. SADIE IS ONE OF MY KIDS!!
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 1:14 pm

I think I'm going to start taking her.I cant spend my time and hers worrying about being attacked, she could get attacked on our walks, or at petco, or in our yard if a stray dog wonders over.

There's an off leash park Duck Farm Dog Park in Lindenhurst, IL near my house anyone in the area want to meet up there?
Back to top Go down
huskies81
Puppy
Puppy
huskies81

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 1:19 pm

That story wasnt to scare you away from the parks. The dog park is Sadies favorite place, just keep an eye on em. Ive never seen a more awesome sight than when huskies play together!
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 1:33 pm

I know and I'm glad you told the story. I need to know and understand the good and the bad about dog parks. I cant imagine how scary that must have been for you two! Raven is a part of my family too.
Back to top Go down
huskies81
Puppy
Puppy
huskies81

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 1:37 pm

I dont want the firearm comment to be taken the wrong way. I dont ever want to shoot a dog. Dog fights happen alot between good dogs. most just get wrapped up in the moment and piss each other off. Ive only encountered one dog at the park so far out of 4 months that worried me. It came in and just started attacking dogs. My guard went up! Anyways dogs work out most problems themselves and sometimes we just have to step in and pull them appart.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 2:04 pm

Dogs working out their problems is most of the reason I want to take her. She bites really hard with a lot of pressure. She doesn't break the skin but she does leave little tooth "dents" in your skin.

I think engaging in some play with other dogs would help her to learn not to bite so damn hard, along with reinforcing the leave it at home. My yelping only seems to encourage her.

I also want to see her run Smile
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Mines been off leash with other dogs ever since his second set of jabs that he received at 12weeks - he has been off leash in parks every day since then for hours... playing chase with other dogs is the best way to tire them out in my opinion! He did get jumped by a rather large pit the other day though :/ if your dogs dangerous, why keep him off his lead? we weren't in the park 10seconds and Luka was still on his lead - he broke free from his collar when this pit came too close - i don't know how he did but i guess he could sense what was coming... long story short, i had to smack the pit around the side of the head and hooked my hand under neck in order to pull him off (Luka was on his back on the floor)... Luka wasn't hurt, physically or mentally - he knows daddys here to protect him - in fact, he gets on really well with pits and staffs, he just spends most of that play time on his back side because he keeps getting knocked over Smile
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 5:01 pm

After all the shots. I took my two after they had all their shots, but would take them to the litter dog side until they were big enough to go onto the big dog side. Just keep an eye out. Puppies usually just have a blast there.

Off leash dog Parks Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 6:38 pm

When it is about socializing puppy classes are a much better idea, because you sem to have a lot of aggressive dogs at dog parks in the US.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 7:42 pm

SiberianAnubis wrote:
When it is about socializing puppy classes are a much better idea, because you sem to have a lot of aggressive dogs at dog parks in the US.

I've been to a lot of dog parks and I think aggression is the exception rather than the rule. The only serious issue I witnessed was when some dumbass brought in food.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
The only serious issue I witnessed was when some dumbass brought in food.

Or a toy. No toys! You don't know if other dogs are possessive over them or not. Seen too many dogs get into a brawl over a damn slobbery, dirty ball than anything else. Figure out the best times to go as well. (what day of the week and what time of day) I used to hate the dog park until I figured out that Saturdays and Sundays at 3:30-4ish were the perfect times to go. The owners are friendly and observant and their dogs are well-behaved and social. Always take time to observe the dogs before entering; if you don't like how one of the dogs are playing, wait till they leave or go back at another time. Of course after your pup gets all of their puppy shots.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:03 pm

From all the stories I read here it sounded like it is on a regular basis. So it seems I got the wrong impression.
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:36 pm

I have only had 2 dogs give Stormy a problem. He is a face dog (meaning he likes to say hello with his face rather then sniff the butt). That sometimes causes new dogs to go on guard for a moment. In fact when the one dog shows up, everyone leaves. He is good if there is only one or tow other dogs there.
Back to top Go down
Forrest
Newborn
Newborn
Forrest

Male Join date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:34 pm

If you're going to take her, do so as often as possible until she's full grown. Getting dropped on by a bigger dog won't effect her permanently if she goes back the next day and gets to be the boss of a smaller puppy. It's good for her to learn that there are bigger dogs out there. But she also needs the assurance that she isn't the smallest dog, too. If you take her once and she gets beat up by a big dog and then you don't take her ever again, that will forever be her only knowledge of strange dogs, that she's going to get the crap knocked out of her.
Back to top Go down
huskies81
Puppy
Puppy
huskies81

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 12:00 am

Sadie is a face dog too. Man it gets her into trouble sometimes with new dogs. Never thought i would say this, but i wish she would just sniff a butt for once! I watched her lick a saint bernards mouth dry once Shocked I didnt eat that day!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off leash dog Parks   Off leash dog Parks Empty

Back to top Go down

Off leash dog Parks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1