It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I have a few Questions about Huskies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

I have a few Questions about Huskies  Empty
PostSubject: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:14 pm

1. My 16month old Husky is Blowing his coat NOW started in Jan. The temp's here have been fairly warm this winter but will this be a problem if it turns cool. ??

2. My Husky sleeps a very long time at night goes to bed at about 8:30pm and does not get up until about 6-7am Is the normal he is young??

3. Until the last week or so he only ate once a day in the evening after his evening walk. He has now started eating twice a day if we give him salmon flavor food and salmon oil in his food. What kind of food do you guys give your dogs.??

4. How do you keep them from digging??

Thanks for any help on these questions.

A funny story happen the other day with him we were driving down the road and I had rolled the windows down a bit so he could put his noise out well he manage to get his head out and then could not figure out how to get it back in.

The poor this started crying bad took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong (he was in the back seat) I roll the window down so he could get his head inside the car. Poor baby..
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:31 pm

I'll take a shot at a few answers, but everyone's answers may be different depending on each dog's unique personality.

Huskies can blow coat whenever. If he's indoors it will not matter when he blows coat. Sabaka is 15 months old and has only has one good blow this fall. We're *anxiously* awaiting the upcoming one... NOT!

We are all night people in this house, so poor Sabaka stays up with us until he collapses of exhaustion at about 11:00-11:30. He will sleep until 9:00-9:30. We walk around his crate getting the kids off to school and he ignores us. I figure he gets SO tired from being a hyper, hyper maniac the other 14 hours a day that he needs alot of sleep!

Huskies are notorious for eating well for a few days and then only picking at their food for the next few days. It has to do with them being bred to go many days with little food as they pull cargo. Sabaka eats around 6:00 (if then...). He has gone with no dinner before because he chooses not to eat.

They dig... I hate it... I'm waiting for this answer too...
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:38 pm

1. Many of us are seeing early coat blowing this warm winter. It's not a problem unless he has to sleep outside next month and it's 30 below.

2. Consider yourself lucky that Blaze sleeps that long. I've had dogs that wanted to get up at four AM!

3. My last husky only ate once a day. She would throw up bile a lot. This ended when my vet recommended feeding her twice a day. Look at the dog food thread for various advice about dog food. I feed my guy Taste of the Wild, Pacific Salmon.

4. Good luck with stopping digging. I think it's innate. Maybe someone else knows a cure, but I sure don't. It's kind of give up your dream backyard or watch them all the time.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Lisa and Michael,

Thanks for the information.. I think I had figured some of it already was just wondering if I was right.

lol! digging does any one know how to stop it.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Filling holes in with poo and then lightly covering them up works. Really really well.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:59 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Filling holes in with poo and then lightly covering them up works. Really really well.

Tried that all he did was dig some where else gave up on that.

He has want to dig at the fence my hubby is in process of creating a brick path around the fence to stop it . Also he is not allow in the yard very much by himself we take him out in the morning on a leash.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:59 pm

1& 2- No Husky is normal that is what makes them so much fun.

3- Feed Adobo & Biko, Taste of the Wild (TOTW)

4- Remove their legs that will be t he only way to stop a Husky from digging. Some have had success by providing a kiddie pool filled with sand to dig in. Saves the lawn and flower gardens a bit that way.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:07 pm

Len lol!

The more I am around my Husky the more I love them.. I wish I had a second one but hubby says no so one is it (I do love hubby after 26 years of marriage).
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:28 pm

#1 & 2 sound normal enough to me. Trust me, he'll have plenty of coat left to keep him warm. A lot of huskies blow coat in January, regardless of weather, mine included.

#4 - put in a sandbox and encourage digging there and there only. Digging is going to happen so your best bet might be to channel it to an appropriate area. I built a sandbox in my backyard and it has saved my grass and flower beds from destruction.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:00 am

#2- Sounds a lot like Kale, only he can sleep in till 10:30 or 11 if I don't get up. He just lays on the couch in my room and stares at me lol

#3- I feed TOTW Sierra Mountain in the morning and The Honest Kitchen Force, 2 fish oil caps, 2 1/2 tbsp of Perfect Form, and Nupro Silver (glucosamine complex-joint support) at night.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:29 am

Its fun to watch them dig Smile
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:45 am

#4- Have a husky named Cali....she won't dig, howl, or anything a husky does but blow her coat EVERYWHERE!!!!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 11:32 pm

Another question came up: I was told that there is a coyote in the neigborhood I told my Hubby this and now Blaze will not go out after dark without being on a leash. He is 16 months old hubby doesn't think he could handle his own with a coyote I agree. What do you all think. ??

Tthere was a dog killed ( it was a small dog I believe) a housing area close to us by this coyote.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 11:36 pm

As a friend told me, A good size dog can take on one, but usually there are not just one coyote. I don't have an opinion on it but I wouldn't take any chances with mine.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 11:41 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:24 am

When I still had Mylo (Malamute) he used to chase them all the time. I never worried about him one on one as he weighed 90+ lbs. What did bother me was when the chase entered the woods and coyotes are known for luring in a single dog then the pack attacks it.

A Husky in my opinion one on one would have a mighty struggle.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 1:52 am

I agree with Len. If there are coyotes in the neighbourhood, it's better to be careful. Coyotes will work as a team. We keep our dogs on a leash after dark because there are coyotes (and bear and cougar) round here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 2:08 am

Coyotes are not bad by themselves, but i highly doubt there is just one. You may see it by itself, but unless its seriously lost, his friends are lurking somewhere
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 3:32 am

I'm one to play it safe when it comes to wildlife. I very seldom have ever seen a lone coyote...there are usually 3 or 4 (if not more) together and I wouldn't want my pups tangling with them.
Back to top Go down
krisdean.flynn
Newborn
Newborn
krisdean.flynn

Male Join date : 2012-01-27

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 3:05 am

If you're not afraid of firearms then you could take a handgun out with you. I live out in the country and have taken a few pot shots a coyotes before.....they usually run off after the first round.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 7:36 pm

1. My 16month old Husky is Blowing his coat NOW started in Jan. The temp's here have been fairly warm this winter but will this be a problem if it turns cool. ??

Some huskies/mals blow early. It will not be a problem at all.

2. My Husky sleeps a very long time at night goes to bed at about 8:30pm and does not get up until about 6-7am Is the normal he is young??

maggie actually sleeps in until 930 lol haha she is a bum.

3. Until the last week or so he only ate once a day in the evening after his evening walk. He has now started eating twice a day if we give him salmon flavor food and salmon oil in his food. What kind of food do you guys give your dogs.??

TOTW or solid gold wolf king. I used to feed raw.

4. How do you keep them from digging??

She is only allowed to dig in the dog yard.
Back to top Go down
Ant&Lisa
Newborn
Newborn
Ant&Lisa

Male Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Awesome...so mine is not the only one that digs..my back garden looks like its taken a mortar attack..
He actually digs on command now..lol

And he eats in a evening for the most part, on his own accord, and like other can have a big feed, then just pick for a day or two.
i read that they can store energy different to other breeds, and can regulate themselves..

i have had 5 other dogs, and always had one in the family since i was a kid, and two and half years with a husky, i know they are utterly unique from any other breed..
We did have a Rhodesian Ridgeback, before nanook, and he was a great dog, and quite unique, but really predictable like most dogs...

we have a cat, too, and we keep them well apart, were pretty sure he see's her as prey..
they have been nose to nose a few times, but we are unsure how he would react if he had his own way..
and he really really likes things his own way/rules of a husky.... Cool
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 7:02 pm

Our dobie was a digger, so I taught her to dig on command and would take her to certain places in the yard to dig. It seemed to help the front yard from getting destroyed. lol
Back to top Go down
hericota/nero
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 7:45 pm

any ONE coyote should run away from most medium dogs and larger but remember that as any stray or stranger dog you should be carefull because they may carry diseases
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  EmptySun Jul 29, 2012 8:10 pm

hericota/nero wrote:
any ONE coyote should run away from most medium dogs and larger but remember that as any stray or stranger dog you should be carefull because they may carry diseases

If your dog is vaccinated, you shouldn't have to worry about diseases. Rabies, Distemper, Parvo, Hepatitis, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have a few Questions about Huskies    I have a few Questions about Huskies  Empty

Back to top Go down

I have a few Questions about Huskies

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1