It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Two Questions on Harnesses

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

Two Questions on Harnesses Empty
PostSubject: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Okay, when should I get a pull harness and start teaching him to pull with it? He's only four month now.
We live about a mile from the Mountain Bay trail and I would love to be able to let him pull me on my bike once he gets old enough, if it's something that would interest him. I thought about rollerblading, but I can't rollerblade anymore and I'm afraid of falling and eating the ground.
Is an x-back harness best for this?
I'll probably think of more questions later haha
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 6:52 pm

I'd get an X-Back, I just ordered 2 of these for mine a few weeks ago http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17

you're gonna wanna wait till he's over a year to start doing pulling, you don't want to hurt his muscles and growing joints.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 6:57 pm

If I order one when he's a year, will i have to order another one after he finishes filling out?
I wasn't sure if I should get him one early and start teaching him what the harness means or not
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 2:06 am

You don't really have to teach them, they catch on pretty quick Smile My first time out with Kale on a bike and he immediately knew what to do, It was crazy lol I need to start saving up to get a good x back...
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 pm

you will most likely need to new one after he fills out. start on the commands now so when he can pull you can control him. wait till a yr old to really pull. ours picked it up right away and they were 2 and 6!

Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 2:49 pm

jbealer wrote:
you will most likely need to new one after he fills out. start on the commands now so when he can pull you can control him. wait till a yr old to really pull. ours picked it up right away and they were 2 and 6!

yep! started out on commands during walks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 3:00 pm

jbealer wrote:

I agree with this! Also Alpine outfitter has the best X-back! I actually started when maggie was 10 months old. I know people said not too.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 2:53 pm

I really like alpine outfitters, they're really affordable! I was surprised by how cheap they are.
Now I just need to figure out what to use for the left and right commands..
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 3:12 pm

i think its gee and haw

i use Left & Right because i can't remember what way is gee or haw and i have a hard enough time saying right and left and mean the correct direction, im much better at just pointing where i want to go!

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Alpine Outfitters cost $19 for an x-back while Adanac Sleds cost $21. However, I'm thinking you'll get it faster from Adanac Sleds. (My experience is that Adanac ships faster, but both have good customer service - again my experience in dealing with both places).

They're both custom made to fit.

When I was looking for a harness for Storm during his weight loss, both places said an x-back harness will fit with a 10lb gain or loss from the measurements you take. So, if you order one now, it should still fit even if he fill out 10 lbs later. If you think your pup will fill out more than 10lbs, then I'd probably wait.

Gee = right (G is pronounced as in Ginger)
Haw = left
Hike = let's go
Whoa = stop

Teenager
Teenager
gladahmae

Female Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 3:18 pm

cmanding wrote:
Alpine Outfitters cost $19 for an x-back while Adanac Sleds cost $21. However, I'm thinking you'll get it faster from Adanac Sleds. (My experience is that Adanac ships faster, but both have good customer service - again my experience in dealing with both places).

what is shipping time like, in your expeience? 2wks? 1 month? 2 months?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 3:38 pm

Placed an alpine order a few weeks ago. Their turnaround time at that point was about a month. + a few days for shipping.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:11 pm

I dealt with the worst customer service with alpine. I ordered mine in November and they are just shipping it now. sigh. I got an old one from my mentor so its time to upgrade!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:13 pm

cmanding wrote:

They're both custom made to fit.

When I was looking for a harness for Storm during his weight loss, both places said an x-back harness will fit with a 10lb gain or loss from the measurements you take. So, if you order one now, it should still fit even if he fill out 10 lbs later. If you think your pup will fill out more than 10lbs, then I'd probably wait.

Gee = right (G is pronounced as in Ginger)
Haw = left
Hike = let's go
Whoa = stop

I still say right or left, maggie never picked up gee or haw!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:36 pm

I've gotten really good customer service from both Adanac and Alpine.

I got Ginger's x-back harness in about 3-4 weeks when I ordered in November at the start of their busy season. I got Storm's old harness from Adanac in 1 week when I ordered it last Summer. Storm's new harness from Alpine was recieved in 2 weeks when I ordered it early Fall.

Both places are a 'mom 'n pop' shop, so I think it'll depend on their backlog of orders.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:37 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
I dealt with the worst customer service with alpine. I ordered mine in November and they are just shipping it now. sigh. I got an old one from my mentor so its time to upgrade!

That happened to me about a year and a half ago. Really irritated me but they comp'd this harness for me that should be shipping soon...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 pm

arooroomom wrote:
norbreedslove wrote:

That happened to me about a year and a half ago. Really irritated me but they comp'd this harness for me that should be shipping soon...
Same here. The first time I ordered from them, they were a week late from when they said I would receive it and sent me a free scootering line.

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Glad I am not the only one. There office is actually near where I used to live. I wish I could call my parents and ask them to pick it up and mail it. lol
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 pm

He won't be a year until the end of October, and that's their busy time for orders, so I hope I won't have to wait to long :/
Although, I guess it won't really matter because there will be snow... Probably.. And I can't bike in snow haha
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Yeah I ordered my harnesses from Alpine beginning of February. Still nothing, status just says paid. It's sad cause I get my bike attachment next week Sad
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 12:27 am

A month is a long time.. :[

I have another question, how do you guys tie out while you camp with your dogs? I usually just tie the long lead around a tree and clip it to the dog's flat collar, but I've noticed people saying flat collars don't work so well with huskies. Should I get him a normal harness for this?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 12:31 am

I would. I wouldn't want to risk him getting out of his collar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two Questions on Harnesses   Two Questions on Harnesses Empty

Back to top Go down

Two Questions on Harnesses

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1