It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My Husky hates the chicken!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

My Husky hates the chicken!  Empty
PostSubject: My Husky hates the chicken!    My Husky hates the chicken!  EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 7:32 pm

I am having to hand feed her the chicken and she doesn't seem to like it. If I just give it to her, she takes it like it's the greatest thing in the world and then she just leaves it on the floor and lays down like she is depressed that I gave her that. When she DOES try to eat it, she pickes it up like its got cooties and barely nibbles at it.

My poms are eating it, but seem to be having trouble chewing it. (I cut it into smaller parts for them)

Am I doing something wrong??
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: My Husky hates the chicken!    My Husky hates the chicken!  EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 8:38 pm

A lot of dogs don't recognize raw as "food" when initially introduced because it's doesn't have the flavors and scents added to it that processed kibble does. This actually is quite a common occurrence. Has she ever actually eaten raw chicken before? If not, then there's nothing wrong with holding her chicken part for her to encourage her to eat it. Other ideas for making her chicken part more enticing could be sprinkling it with parmesan cheese or some kind of meat broth (like chicken or beef broth). A favorite method of mine to get a finicky dog interested in trying raw is to sear the chicken for just a few seconds. Searing the meat for a few seconds will bring out more flavor and aroma (which will be more enticing than flat out raw) without cooking the bone so you don't have to worry about that hazard. As the dog gets more accustomed to the slightly seared, mostly raw chicken you can slowly ease off of the searing (sear it less and less for subsequent meals) until you have her eating straight up raw chicken.

What chicken parts are you feeding your Poms? Smaller parts/bones are better for little mouths. Chicken wings, backs, Cornish hens, quail, rabbit and the like offer little ones like Poms easier to chew meals. Of course it depends on the size of the Pom. My chi girls are the same body size but their mouths are actually very different sizes. Faith has an itty bitty mouth and has trouble with a small chicken wing while Glory has a larger mouth and can put away a chicken thigh without too much effort. Regardless of what you feed your Poms, I would not cut their meals any smaller than what their whole meal will be. I.e. I wouldn't cut up a meal into multiple pieces or bite size chunks for them, the beauty of raw feeding is the entire experience. It's not just a meal, it's a sensory experience involving working and tearing the meat off the bone as well as cleaning their teeth as they work around and through the bone.

I hope that helps some.

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: My Husky hates the chicken!    My Husky hates the chicken!  EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 8:49 pm

I actually took it back and cut it into a smaller portion for all of them and one kya realized that there was a bone inside, she went to town. So, it probably was just that she didn't know what it was.

None of my animals have ever had raw anything before. Even the livers i always cooked first.

I was giving them all the thigh but the poms had it cut into smaller pieces. I can't give one of them the bone bc she was a rescue and several of her teeth had rotted out. However, the puppy (7 months) had the bone part and he is STILL working on it.

At any rate, they all finally ate, but Kya realy didn't like the idea of eating it at first.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: My Husky hates the chicken!    My Husky hates the chicken!  EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 8:24 am

For the Pom that can't have bone from lack of teeth, you are feeding that one partial raw? I only ask to be sure that she will be getting an adequate amount of calcium via other means in her diet if she cannot have bone.

Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: My Husky hates the chicken!    My Husky hates the chicken!  EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Yes, she gets kibble as well as supplements. They all still get SOME kibble, but chicken is primarily the food I am giving them. They all also get raw veggies.

Drama, the one missing teeth, also gets marrow bones. They last ALOT longer than the other dogs bones do, but she gnaws on them until they are gone. The only reason I don't give her the bone in the chicken is because it takes her so long to eat the bone that the other dogs would come and steal it from her. As well, she gets tired of chewing on the bones and will give up. The vet said she may be giving up because it hurts her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Husky hates the chicken!    My Husky hates the chicken!  Empty

Back to top Go down

My Husky hates the chicken!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1