It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Luka's First Shed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 6:46 am

For the last few days fur has been dropping off Luka like *insert appropriate comparison here* because i honestly can't think of one! There is fur EVERYWHERE!!!!!! Im with my parents at the moment and my mum is slightly losing her sanity I think LOL! There is fur on our clothes, on the floor, the furniture, stuck to the TV, stuck to me, my hair, inside my mouth - Luka isn't allowed upstairs but there is fur there too!! Normally he gets brushed daily BUT this morning I was on a mission - We sat outside in the sun and I started brushing, I was going to brush until no more fur would come out (i know, how silly i was) - well, around 45 minutes later I gave up - there was no difference since I started! It just kept coming out! Where does it come from? Why won't it stop coming? Will it ever stop?

ok all humour aside, serious question:

Is there a limit to how much I should brush him? can I do him any harm by brushing too much?

ps. I will at some point try to collect the fur from one session of brushing and post a picture!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 9:34 am

Erinc wrote:
Normally he gets brushed daily BUT this morning I was on a mission - We sat outside in the sun and I started brushing, I was going to brush until no more fur would come out (i know, how silly i was)

You made a funny! lol!

Erinc wrote:
Is there a limit to how much I should brush him? can I do him any harm by brushing too much?

There's no limit aside from what you AND your dog are willing to tolerate. Certain brushes are more harsh and can do damage, like the furminator types, which should be monitored and kept down. Also keep in mind that excessive brushing can irritate the skin and thus lead to a negative experience and unhappy/uncooperative dog which you want to avoid...you want brushing to be a positive experience, not a negative one. Some dogs don't like certain brushes for whatever reason also. And remember every dog is different, some don't care what you use or for how long, others get irritated after some time and would benefit from multiple shorter sessions a day versus one long one. You'll figure it out as you go along.

Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 11:13 am

Cool, thanks! He seems to enjoy being brushed & if i'm too harsh on him he is quick to let me know Smile
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 2:52 pm

I read your post aloud to my family!! We enjoyed it! Sorry to laugh at your pain... Smile

Sabaka is just starting a coat blow as well. He seems to only lose certain areas at a time and, therefore, a full body shed takes awhile. He's still losing fur from the hips and thighs now.

Brush on...
Back to top Go down
evelazquez
Teenager
Teenager
evelazquez

Male Join date : 2012-03-17

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 3:27 pm

I skipped brushing Coquito yesterday and when i brushed him today, there was a cloud of hair LOL
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Kale just started his coat blow. There's hair in between the keys of my laptop... Luka's First Shed 1625187496
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm still waiting for this fabled coat blow... Ghost is 11 months now, and it's getting HOT here all of a sudden. I pulled like one cotton ball sized clump out of her the other day, but other than that it's sort of been constant shedding in small amounts since we got her last year. I'm sure when it finally happens with us though, it wil be epic.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Luka's First Shed 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Ahh, its so good to have people who understand you lol!

hypers987 wrote:
Kale just started his coat blow. There's hair in between the keys of my laptop... Luka's First Shed 1625187496
haha, i like this one!

SabakaMom wrote:
I read your post aloud to my family!! We enjoyed it! Sorry to laugh at your pain... Smile

Sabaka is just starting a coat blow as well. He seems to only lose certain areas at a time and, therefore, a full body shed takes awhile. He's still losing fur from the hips and thighs now.

Brush on...

Luka is losing a lot from his thighs as well - its still loose hairs, i don't know if i'll be able to get clumps out of him this time round as he is only 5 months - I'm defiantly not looking forward to him blowing his full winter coat when next summer comes around Luka's First Shed 1625187496

edit: oh and I'm glad my failed efforts to contain husky fur are providing a good laugh for the famo!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Wow your Huskies are slow at Blowing the coat..

Blaze started the 3rd week of January blowing on his back legs and rear end..
I told him to the groomer the first week of February and the got most of it then.

He is still blowing in now on his from shoulders and around the tail.

Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 5:54 pm

ljelgin wrote:
Wow your Huskies are slow at Blowing the coat..

Blaze started the 3rd week of January blowing on his back legs and rear end..
I told him to the groomer the first week of February and the got most of it then.

He is still blowing in now on his from shoulders and around the tail.

lol, you must be glad its nearly over! i think Luka has started now because the weather has only just started to warm up a little, it is still unpredictable and up one week and down the next but it has warmed up in general!
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:23 am

Ava's already finished blowing her coat, all except for a tiiiny bit on her cheeks and her tail. She looks so mangy when she's blowing her coat...

Also, whenever she blows her coat, I have to tighten up her collar and harness so they fit her. Anyone else have to do that?
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 12:13 pm

im glad river has a shorter coat but when i first got him he seemed to be loosing more guard hairs then the down and it was every where to me it seems it should be the other way around but i dont think that was a coat blow i think it was malnutrition so i dont think i have actually witnessed a coat blow yet and im kinda worried about it going to southern california and staying with my mom....she may murder me cuz of all the hair LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Luka's First Shed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luka's First Shed   Luka's First Shed Empty

Back to top Go down

Luka's First Shed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1