It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Cats & Dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi guys,

A friend of mine wants me to bring Luka round to see how he would get on with her cat...

I don't think its a good idea but she insists that they will get on :/

Even if they did... I've seen Luka play - and its not exactly gentle - I wouldn't want Luka to get an unnecessary claw to the face either.

Do you guys think I should give it a go? What sort of tell tale signs should we look out for?

I know a few of you have both cats and dogs in the home so any advice would be appreciated - I'm assuming they just avoid eachother?
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Is there a reason she wants to test it? Will Luka be around cats in the future and you need to know how he does? If so, then I would make sure he is leashed when you introduce them. Really watch how Luka pays attention to the cat. Willow has a pretty high prey drive and her intense focus on a moving animal is what gives her away. I can tell just by her focus on the animal if she is just curious or if she WANTS that animal. I have tought her that my cat is off limits but she was around an unknown cat when we went to meet and greet with Aspen and her focus on the cat at that house was so much more intense. Her stance was posed to pounce as well. I leashed her immediaty when I noticed it. Even if he has even the tiniest bit of intense focus versus how he is playing, then you run the risk of him attacking the cat. It only takes one bite to kill, so you really have to be careful.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Unless you plan on having a cat live with you, I don't see the need. I highly doubt they will "play." More likely the cat will freak and Luka will just want to eat it or play rough with it.

Cats & Dogs Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, at least I know I'm not overreacting when I suggest its probably not a situation your cat would want to be in lol - this girls shown a lot of interest in me & i guess now that I have a puppy she's trying to find some common ground/excuse to spend time with me - she just seems to think we are going to be able to let them "get on with it" and I really am not comfortable with that...

When Luka sees a cat in the street he stops dead, lowers his stance and just won't stop staring! Its like c'mon dude lets go, your on a lead, don't get any bright ideas! lol.

I guess I just wanted to hear that cats and dogs don't make the best of friends and that it isn't just a 'myth'. Definitely won't be taking him round - can't actually believe I considered it for a second lol!
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:50 pm

lol!

Blaze does a play bow and wants to play with the cats he sees. The cat all hiss at him and ran away. lol!

Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:54 pm

ljelgin wrote:
lol!

Blaze does a play bow and wants to play with the cats he sees. The cat all hiss at him and ran away. lol!

Lol! Luka pretty much licks his lips and starts getting his knife n fork out!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:56 pm

ljelgin wrote:
lol!

Some huskies truly are ok with cats but it's not common for the breed. Dakota was great with mine. He had free roam of the house with mine for years and we had absolutely no issues.

It sounds like Luka will not be good with a cat based off of your observations on your walk.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Kya gets along well with our cats, treats them as if they were her pups.

I still agree with everyone else, unless he is going to be around cats often, no reason to introduce him to one.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 9:06 pm

26nikita wrote:
ljelgin wrote:
lol!

Some huskies truly are ok with cats but it's not common for the breed. Dakota was great with mine. He had free roam of the house with mine for years and we had absolutely no issues.

It sounds like Luka will not be good with a cat based off of your observations on your walk.

Oh I am really not sure how he would be if he really got close enough to play with a cat.

Blaze just seems to love everyone cat, dog , kid or person he meets wants to play with them.

Now when it comes to birds squirrel, rabbits moles and the such I think he prey would come into play.
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 1:20 am

river wants to put salt and pepper with a little bit of garlic on our cats it makes me very nervious so my kitties have to stay in their own room
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 3:44 am

The only reason Kale is ok with my cats is because he grew up with them, all other small animals are fair game. Definitely keep him on leash if you decide to have them meet, and make sure the cat has an escape route. Don't want to stress the cat out either lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 1:37 pm

If Luka is already showing signs like mentioned on his walk, it really woudn't be worth your time to try unless you are moving in with this person and her cat. If they are not constantly together, it's very likely you would have to retrain him everytime you went to visit. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that would it be worth the chance he kills the cat if you only visit from time to time? I read on another forum a guy had conditioned his dog to leave his cat alone in the home and years later the cat got outside and the dog went for it and killed it. IMO, it would only be worth it if your dog shows no sign of a prey drive like my Dakota was.
Back to top Go down
jvoide
Newborn
Newborn
jvoide

Male Join date : 2012-03-24

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 12:36 pm

My puppy does quite well with our cat. The cat was here first and has that "don't bother me" attitude. My puppy Tala is on a never ending quest to get the cat to play with her. It's pretty funny. The two of them haven't tried to hurt eachother...yet. But I actually don't think they will. Tala is getting the hint that the cat doesn't wanna play but that doesn't mean that she'll stop trying. She'll go from puppy to adult in the house with the cat. There's no reason to introduce dog to cat if they're not in the same family.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cats & Dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cats & Dogs   Cats & Dogs Empty

Back to top Go down

Cats & Dogs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1